• 5(current)
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)
(2017-12-07, 16:38)beeftrash Wrote: That is similar to what i have except the NUC I have a NUC6i5SYH.  I do not know much about its capabilities as I am new to all this.  It currently has Libreelec clean with kodi.   

the iGPU used in the the 6th-gen (Skylake) NUCs doesn't support HDR; this thread is for the 7th-gen (Kabylake) models which do.
hi, is this NUC enough for 4k:

Procesor: Intel Core i7 7567U, do 4,0 GHz Dual Core 7. generacije, 4MB cache, 28W TDP
Memory: 2×DDR4 2133 SO-DIMM, max. 32GB, 1,2V
VGA: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
(2017-12-07, 16:38)beeftrash Wrote:
(2017-11-17, 15:10)_Spook_ Wrote: HDR is not supported in Linux yet.
 Spook, is that your build below?  How is it working?  That is similar to what i have except the NUC I have a NUC6i5SYH.  I do not know much about its capabilities as I am new to all this.  It currently has Libreelec clean with kodi.  I have my plex server in network and I am sharing from a couple of other sources.  I get jittery video when i try to watch from outside the network anything 4k. I can wait for a magic box but i am not sure if one is coming.  Thoughts? 
Did you try this?

At first I got stuttering on panning scenes but a quick look in settings >> Player settings >> Videos >> Enable 'Sync Playback to display' fixed it!
(2017-12-08, 13:35)dr.sah Wrote: hi, is this NUC enough for 4k:

Procesor: Intel Core i7 7567U, do 4,0 GHz Dual Core 7. generacije, 4MB cache, 28W TDP
Memory: 2×DDR4 2133 SO-DIMM, max. 32GB, 1,2V
VGA: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650

You don't need i7 for 4K. Docwra is using an i5 but I'm sure an i3 7th gen NUC will too. All these support HDR.
EDIT: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
(2017-12-07, 16:35)docwra Wrote:
(2017-12-07, 16:25)beeftrash Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 14:53)docwra Wrote: An i7 is massive overkill if you are just using Kodi, I use an i5 already but 4th generation and it plays anything I throw at it. That is in a fanless case too.
 Which i5 NUC are you using?  I am just now getting into KODI and Plex and would like to have 4k HDR playback.  I have Kodi embedded on my NUC6i5SYH and it works well.  Plays 4k local only for some reason.  Any advice or help? (PM if easier)   
 Intel 7th Generation Dual  Core i5-7260u Dual Core Quad Thread 2.2GHz 3.4GHz Turbo 4MB HD620  
Which actual NUC model?  I was wondering on the video out?  I am told mine does not put out HDR.  If that is the case, should I get a 7th Gen Nuc or wait for something else?
(2017-12-09, 17:25)beeftrash Wrote:
(2017-12-07, 16:35)docwra Wrote:
(2017-12-07, 16:25)beeftrash Wrote:  Which i5 NUC are you using?  I am just now getting into KODI and Plex and would like to have 4k HDR playback.  I have Kodi embedded on my NUC6i5SYH and it works well.  Plays 4k local only for some reason.  Any advice or help? (PM if easier)   
 Intel 7th Generation Dual  Core i5-7260u Dual Core Quad Thread 2.2GHz 3.4GHz Turbo 4MB HD620    
Which actual NUC model?  I was wondering on the video out?  I am told mine does not put out HDR.  If that is the case, should I get a 7th Gen Nuc or wait for something else?  
 NUC7I5BNH 
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/e...i5bnh.html

Never used HDR sorry as TV does not support it.
Only 7th gen NUCs with i series processors support HDR due to their more powerful onboard graphics and firmware.
And only Windows 10 Fall Creators Update supports outputing HDR. Linux has no support yet. Kodi does not support HDR either.
(2017-12-11, 23:30)_Spook_ Wrote: And only Windows 10 Fall Creators Update supports outputing HDR. Linux has no support yet. Kodi does not support HDR either.
 @_Spook_ what setup do you have?
(2017-12-07, 16:38)beeftrash Wrote:
(2017-11-17, 15:10)_Spook_ Wrote: HDR is not supported in Linux yet.
 Spook, is that your build below?  How is it working?  That is similar to what i have except the NUC I have a NUC6i5SYH.  I do not know much about its capabilities as I am new to all this.  It currently has Libreelec clean with kodi.  I have my plex server in network and I am sharing from a couple of other sources.  I get jittery video when i try to watch from outside the network anything 4k. I can wait for a magic box but i am not sure if one is coming.  Thoughts? 

(2017-12-12, 16:06)beeftrash Wrote:
(2017-12-11, 23:30)_Spook_ Wrote: And only Windows 10 Fall Creators Update supports outputing HDR. Linux has no support yet. Kodi does not support HDR either.
 @_Spook_ what setup do you have? 
I don't use Windows for media content. I have a NUC as stated here, a nVidia shield and an AppleTV 4K. Only the shield and atv can do HDR.
Hello,

I'm searching for "the right box" to upgrade from 1080p to 2160p. I have tried few "android boxes" with support for 4k+HDR, but I wasn't satisfied with them in terms of usability and lacking of full-fledged Linux distro support like Debian/Mint/Ubuntu.

My eyes are on NUC7i5BNH + Samsung 256 GB SSD and 2x4 GB of RAM (plus external 3,5" USB 3.0 HDD's). TV is Samsung KS8000 (with HDR) and AVR is Marantz NR1508, NUC will be connected to AVR via HDMI or USB C to HDMI cable.

My questions are:
1) What is your experience with using Kodi on Linux and getting HDR output/metadata on you HDR-capable TV from NUC7i5/i3*** series?
- I know from specifications that Kaby Lake does have hardware powerful enough to do it and I know that 10bit HEVC x265 also works Smile

2) Does the USB C/HDMI audio pass-through works when movie audio is in 5.1 (DTS/DTS-MA/TrueHD)?
- I don't need Atmos or DTS:X since my receiver don't support that format. 
- I have read on nucblog that Intel fixed problems with pass-through with last firmware, but I would like confirmation of that Smile

Thanks in advance!
Apologies, if this is the wrong place to post... I bought a NUC7i3BNK last year and love it! To date it's been plugged into the family TV, but I've found that while this set up has been good for streaming movies and catch up TV, it's been less than ideal for office work. So I'm buying a 27" monitor and setting up in my bedroom/ office. It's running Windows 10, 64 bit, 8Gb RAM (2x4Gb DDR4) and Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD.

Regarding a suitable 27" monitor, would someone kindly help me with answers to the following questions, please? (As well as Netflix and TV, the I need the set up to run MS Office, Outlook and Gmail, as well as do online research. I don't do any gaming or professional photo editing/ graphics.)  

1. Is my NUC's built in graphics powerful enough to run a 2k QHD 2560x1440 monitor? I'm keen to buy a Dell U1715H based on many good reviews I've read.

2. If not, what 27" HD 1080p monitor would others recommend for my needs? (I decided on a 27" because I want to be able to have two programs open side by side by side - a single 24" is too cramped for this and my desk can't accommodate a 2x 24" set up. 32" is too big. I bought a Phillips 31.5" HD monitor yesterday, but I'll be sending it back because I have to lean back in my chair and type with my arms outstretched to get far enough away from it to make viewing comfortable. I'm hoping that 27" will be the sweet spot for my situation.)   

3. Is a 2K QHD, such as the Dell U2715H, overkill for my needs of MS Office, Gmail/Outlook, net research/ surfing, and TV/ Movie streaming? Would a cheaper 27" HD monitor suffice? What are others using and enjoying? The Dell U2715H is $600 here in Australia, so anything cheaper would be a saving. By the way, the text on the Phillips 31.5" HD currently plugged in is surprisingly clear and sharp.

4. If my NUC's graphics is powerful enough to run the Dell 2K QHD monitor, which kind of cable would be best to connect them - HDMI 2.0 or USB - Type C to DP? I would appreciate an explanation of the pros and cons of each; a link to an explanation would be equally appreciated.

Monitor: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/produ...redirect=1
NUC: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/suppor...odSpec.pdf

Thanks in advance.
Does anyone have a NUC7i7BNH and told me if it's working ?

I use latest Milhouse Generic builds and it's impossible to have DTS-HD/True-HD or Dolby Digital Plus in passthrough, I have no sound, my AVR does not receive any channel. OK with DTS and Dolby Digital.

Before install LibreELEC, I have installed a Windows build and updated BIOS to latest and HDMI 2.0 Firmware to 1.72.

I have also a NUC5i5RYH and all is fine with it.
 Estuary MOD V2 
In OpenELEC HDR is not working, HD Audio with latest Leia Build is working fine for me.
I bought Minix U9-H and Everything is working flawlessly with it, it's a little bit slower but worth the peace of mind Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Kaby Lake (7th Generation CPU)1