Use Kodi from Android Box to Play files from PC
Hi I need a way to have the following setup

I have bunch of media files I have in my computer that I want to be able to play in my Android Box via Kodi.

So, I was thinking if there was a way to setup a network in my home, a wireless media server where I can upload the media files
and my Android box/Kodi can read files in that server and play on TV.

So, I am turning to Kodi Gurus for ideas/suggestions on how can I accomplish it?
Welcome to the forum Smile

Yep, this is exactly what Kodi is designed for!

Have a look through the Kodi wiki (wiki), especially the First Time User page. Then do a bit of reading on file sharing (SMB).

There are some tutorial videos on the Team Kodi YouTube channel too.
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
(2017-02-11, 04:16)zerocool_ie Wrote: Welcome to the forum Smile

Yep, this is exactly what Kodi is designed for!

Have a look through the Kodi wiki (wiki), especially the First Time User page. Then do a bit of reading on file sharing (SMB).

There are some tutorial videos on the Team Kodi YouTube channel too.

Ki Zerocool, thank you for the reply, thanks for sending me the guide and read about SMB a bit.

I had a question about the Hardware requirement

I currently have the following
- Desktop PC (Internal Storage)
- Android Box (with Kodi)
- TV

Do I need to get a LAN cable to create the network between PC and Box? or is it possible to setup up a network using WiFi since all 3 of the devices are connected to same WIFI Access point or should I get a Wireless Hard Disk and access that using PC and read it through Android Box Kodi?

Which do you think is the best solution?
Thread moved to Android.

If all three are on the same access point then they should be able to see and communicate with one another just fine, presuming the router isn't set up to isolate devices (public access points should do that for obvious security reasons, but home ones won't unless you enable it).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@yawnman,
WiFi will work but I would recommend a cabled LAN connection if possible. It will be more reliable.

The TV doesn't need to be on the network, just the PC and Android box.
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
Zero is right.... Some more detail...

I'm assuming your KODI/android box is already on the network as well as your PC. If that is the case you need to create a SMB share on your PC and grant the appropriate security (typically set it to "Everyone" so there are no issues).

Next in KODI you go to Videos | Files | and map the share you created on your PC

The one thing that threw me off when i started with KODI was the syntax for a SMB share - so here it is - SMB://<IP address of PC>/<sharename you created on PC>. If you set permissions to "Everyone" it will just work, otherwise you will have to put in credentials.

Also if you are on Windows 8+ make sure your Microsoft firewall and other settings are configured to allow SMB share access.
My Seagate Network Drive stopped working.

I now use my PC temporarely until I setup another NAS station.

Thanks for the infos.
THANKS !!!

This one saved me :-)

"The one thing that threw me off when i started with KODI was the syntax for a SMB share - so here it is - SMB://<IP address of PC>/<sharename you created on PC>"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use Kodi from Android Box to Play files from PC0