Solved Controller buttons in music player
I recently upgraded to Kodi 17.0 on an Ubuntu 16.04 system (17.1 is not yet in the PPA) Before starting Kodi 17 the first time I deleted my old .kodi profile, as I figured I might as well start afresh.

I have a Logitech F710 with buttons that match the Xbox360's one for one. I have set it up in the new controller configurator (System settings | Input | Configure attached controllers) so that each button mirrors that of the template (X is X, Y is Y, left shoulder is left shoulder, etc.) No tweaks or changes of any kind.

The reason for the post is that I'm seeing what appears to be some really weird, default bindings in the Music player, specifically. The vide player works fine but the X and Y buttons do strange things in the Music player.

In the Video player, each button does more or less exactly the same as it did in 16.1: A toggle-pauses (space-like), B stops playback and goes back, Y toggles between player and file view (tab-like), X brings up player controls.

In the Music player, A and B do pretty much the same as in the video player: Pause-toggle and Go-Back respectively. X and Y, on the other hand...

* AFAICT pressing the X button takes me to the configuration screen of the latest plugin I have configured.
* Pressing Y opens an unnamed dialog screen that seems to be an empty item list where I can do nothing but press cancel.

Needless to say both are completely useless and out of context in the music player. I expected the X button to bring up player controls (something that I'm able to do by hitting M on the keyboard), and Y button to function as Tab. Is this a bug? Does it affect any other controllers?

I haven't made any alterations to the keymapping and there is no joystick.xml in my userdata folder. I can probably fix it by hacking in such a file but I would prefer figuring out why/where the defaults are coming from and if anybody else is seeing it?
I think I found the cause in the default joystick.xml (on linux: /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/joystick.xml). The settings for X and Y under the Visualisation node seems to correspond to what I'm seeing:

Code:
<Visualisation>
    <joystick>
      <a>Pause</a>
      <b>Stop</b>
      <x>ActivateWindow(AddonSettings)</x>
      <y>ActivateWindow(VisualisationPresetList)</y>
      <start>Info</start>
      <rightthumb>ActivateWindow(MusicOSD)</rightthumb>
      <up>SkipNext</up>
      <down>SkipPrevious</down>
      <left>StepBack</left>
      <right>StepForward</right>
      <lefttrigger>AnalogRewind</lefttrigger>
      <righttrigger>AnalogFastForward</righttrigger>
      <leftbumper>AnalogRewind</leftbumper>
      <rightbumper>AnalogFastForward</rightbumper>
      <leftstickleft>PreviousPreset</leftstickleft>
      <leftstickright>NextPreset</leftstickright>
    </joystick>
  </Visualisation>

I haven't (consciously) enabled visualisation and I haven't installed any visualisation add-ons. Which may explain why I'm seeing just a random add-on's settings window rather than what I presume would be the active visualisation add-on's setting. And the empty window on Y could easily be the VisualisationPresetList - without any presets because I don't have any.

When I get home I will see if by accident I have enabled visualisation of any kind, even though I can't see any (the artist fan art in the background doesn't count as visualisation, right?). If anybody has any clue as to why the Visualisation settings override the Music ones (which merely fall back on sensible global defaults) when there is no visualisation, I'd be grateful.
Making a local (~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps) copy of joystick.xml and customizing the Visualisation section with my preferences enabled overriding the defaults.

I guess I can't call it a bug but a) it still seems pretty unintuitive that Visualisation node takes precedence when there's no actual Visualisation going on and b) even if there was any visualisation going on, removing important buttons for playback control to enable easier control for visualisation seems to miss the point about what music is for IMHO. Hrrrmmm.

Right, just needed to get that out of my system Big Grin Marking solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Controller buttons in music player0