Kodi and Third-Party Add-ons
(2017-02-12, 17:18)Piracy Cop Wrote: I am well aware of that. Prior to December, 2010, Kodi (XBMC) was NOT a success, however, hence the creation by third-party developers of these illegal add-ons.

And you register today after all those years using Kodi/XBMC to remind us of the good ol' days. So kind of you...
Maybe 'Piracy Kid' should take a moment to understand what FOSS actually means, and why such a philosophy doesn't go very well with restricting what you can and cannot do with a piece of software.

Anyway, dumb troll is dumb. You gave us a good chuckle with your naivity.
(2017-02-12, 16:10)Piracy Cop Wrote: They don't do it because their business would be down the tubes. The legal add-ons, frankly, are garbage.

1. What business? There is no business. No one on the team makes any money from Kodi. The only people making money from Kodi are the people who are using our trademark to sell crappy boxes with preloaded add-ons. Boxes that then bring mostly ignorant people to our forums.

2. So the add-ons (just naming a few) like the HDHomerun add-on, the PVR frontend add-ons to connect to my live TV, the Youtube add-on, TED Talks, the RetroSpect add-on which let me watch shows I missed on TV - this is all nonsense ? Are you so deep into the piracy crap that you do not even know what you can do with Kodi without those crappy piracy add-ons?
(2017-02-12, 16:59)bry Wrote: You are aware that this software existed well before the add-ons system that was introduced in Dec 2010ish with Dharma.
Addons were established earlier then that Wink

Back in the day, The community was healthy, strong and motivated to help the XBMC project.

Now it's a cash grab at the expenses of the hard working developer's and the smearing of what was a new untainted project name Kodi. Really is a shame!

The project audience has shifted from techies to layman's looking for free content.

IMO I think the solution lies with binary plugins and the eventual removal of Python.

Sent from my SM-G935T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2017-02-12, 16:30)Dangelus Wrote:
(2017-02-12, 16:10)Piracy Cop Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 00:50)MetalChris Wrote: Shame there's no mention of the many legal add-ons that exist for Kodi. Huh

Can you please get real? It's the illegal third-party add-ons that are Kodi's bread and butter. Kodi controls the program code. Kodi could block these illegal add-ons in a heartbeat. They don't do it because their business would be down the tubes. The legal add-ons, frankly, are garbage. I'm not condoning piracy. I am saying that there are legal alternatives for streaming, the Roku line being just one, but the legal add-ons for Kodi don't cut it.

Piracy Cop

If you're not a troll then you couldn't be more wrong.

1) What add-ons are you referring to? So many legal add-ons are great. Quality code from quality developers who put so much time, effort and pride into their (unpaid) work.

2) Kodi is not a business. We don't care to keep increasing users, it's not the point of the project. It a hobby project to create the best media player possible.

3) We don't block 3rd party add-ons because we don't care what you do with your personal install. That's up to you. Also as project is open source it wouldn't take much for somebody to just release a version that didn't block add-ons probably within the day.

Oh, so if I disagree, that makes me a troll? Please. You don't block third-party add-ons because then developing Kodi would be pointless and nobody would use it. You say these third-party add-ons are killing Kodi, you have the power to change that, and yet, you do absolutely nothing to stop it! Don't share the source code with the public if you're so concerned with piracy. So many legal add-ons are great? YouTube is a joke, as is FilmOn TV (which is stated to be legal, but isn't). PopcornFlix's movie selection is pathetic. Snagfilms is the same thing. Movies there look like they were shot with a $50 budget because many of them probably were. The Food Network? Yes, people love watching cooking shows from years ago. A grand total of FIVE video add-ons for Kodi. And yes, before you mention it, I am aware there are more legal video add-ons for Kodi. Those ones, as bad as they are, are the only ones worth mentioning.
(2017-02-12, 17:15)Piracy Cop Wrote: Is Kodi going to continue being developed if people stop using it?
As long as the volunteers developing it are still using it then yes it will. Why is the volunteer concept so hard for you to grasp, we really don't need millions of users, just some intelligent colleagues to collaborate with. It would also probably shock you to know that not all the devs stream video, even the legal kind.

(2017-02-12, 17:25)Kib Wrote: Anyway, dumb troll is dumb. You gave us a good chuckle with your naivity.
Indeed, and narrow mindedness, poor troll.
(2017-02-12, 17:37)Piracy Cop Wrote: Don't share the source code with the public if you're so concerned with piracy.
That's actually pretty funny.
(2017-02-12, 17:18)Piracy Cop Wrote:
(2017-02-12, 16:59)bry Wrote: You are aware that this software existed well before the add-ons system that was introduced in Dec 2010ish with Dharma.

I am well aware of that. Prior to December, 2010, Kodi (XBMC) was NOT a success, however, hence the creation by third-party developers of these illegal add-ons. Kodi has done zero to stop this.

Piracy Cop

Define 'success' in this situation?
threads merged.

* ronie mumbles something about not feeding the trolls.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

I am well aware of that. Prior to December, 2010, Kodi (XBMC) was NOT a success, however, hence the creation by third-party developers of these illegal add-ons. Kodi has done zero to stop this.

Piracy Cop

This isn't true at all, LMFAO you are clueless when it comes to actual events.... IC your nick was created today, So i'm tapping out of this troll fest!
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2017-02-12, 17:30)Kib Wrote:
(2017-02-12, 16:10)Piracy Cop Wrote: They don't do it because their business would be down the tubes. The legal add-ons, frankly, are garbage.

1. What business? There is no business. No one on the team makes any money from Kodi. The only people making money from Kodi are the people who are using our trademark to sell crappy boxes with preloaded add-ons. Boxes that then bring mostly ignorant people to our forums.

2. So the add-ons (just naming a few) like the HDHomerun add-on, the PVR frontend add-ons to connect to my live TV, the Youtube add-on, TED Talks, the RetroSpect add-on which let me watch shows I missed on TV - this is all nonsense ? Are you so deep into the piracy crap that you do not even know what you can do with Kodi without those crappy piracy add-ons?

1. Don't get caught up in hair-splitting. My point was made and you understood it. Kodi would be rejected by the masses if you blocked third-party add-ons. They wouldn't use it. Period.

2. Don't assume I am deep into piracy. I don't own an Android box. I am a firm believer in buying local products, and I refuse to buy anything made in China. Kodi is installed on my desktop computer. As stated in an earlier post, I am very much against piracy. My wife and I own three Rokus. I came to Kodi to see how it differs from the Roku, and have used a handful of legal add-ons, which I mentioned in an earlier post. We use the Roku for paid add-ons like Hulu and Netflix. We also have a few free video add-ons on the Rokus and many of them are also available on Kodi. The YouTube add-on for the Roku is vastly superior to the Kodi YouTube add-on. TED Talks bores the hell out of me. I don't have it on the Roku and I don't have it in Kodi. RetroSpect is not necessary. That's what PVRs are for. HDHomerun is also unnecessary, as I only have one TV in our house, so streaming to different TVs isn't an issue.

The facts are clear. 99% of the people using Kodi do so to access illegal streams of movies and TV shows, and again, the power is in your hands to stop this. You can dance around the issue by saying it's up to the user what they do with their personal install, but by saying that, you forfeit any right to complain that the idiots that are doing this are destroying Kodi.

Piracy Cop
(2017-02-12, 17:18)Koying Wrote:
(2017-02-12, 17:13)Piracy Cop Wrote: I suggest a ban for posting unknown acronyms. What is FUD?

My point about smart people, exactly...

PS: I'm for the education of the masses: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fud

Sorry. I'm not a millennial. I don't litter my writing with acronyms. Who are you to make a generalization about my level of education for not knowing what FUD means, anyway? Your sarcastic video about using Google was just that. I've been using Google since its inception. Since you used the acronym, who better to ask its meaning than you?
(2017-02-12, 17:43)Hitcher Wrote:

Piracy Cop

Define 'success' in this situation?

Sure. A household name.
(2017-02-12, 17:37)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-02-12, 17:15)Piracy Cop Wrote: Is Kodi going to continue being developed if people stop using it?
As long as the volunteers developing it are still using it then yes it will. Why is the volunteer concept so hard for you to grasp, we really don't need millions of users, just some intelligent colleagues to collaborate with. It would also probably shock you to know that not all the devs stream video, even the legal kind.

(2017-02-12, 17:25)Kib Wrote: Anyway, dumb troll is dumb. You gave us a good chuckle with your naivity.
Indeed, and narrow mindedness, poor troll.

The volunteer concept is not hard to grasp at all. Don't talk down to me. Why would you continue developing something that very few people use? Don't give me hogwash about getting your cookies by collaborating with intelligent colleagues. I know full well all the legal uses of Kodi, so no, nothing shocks me. This is my last statement on the matter, simply repeating what I've previous said. Kodi does not block third-party add-ons because if you did, people would move away from Kodi in droves. Period.
(2017-02-12, 18:22)Piracy Cop Wrote: Don't talk down to me.
Don't talk crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and Third-Party Add-ons0