SPDIF AC3 and DTS passthrough - how to define the device in XBMC
ubuntu 8.04 + latest XBMC + ESI Juli@ soundcard. Onboard soundcard on my Asus MoBo is dissabled in BIOS.

Followed the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound guide to shut down ALSA and use the OSS 4.X drivers. The supported list of the latest OSS 4 (build 1016) supports my soundcard.

After completing the guide mentioned above I tested my setup with
Code:
osstest

This gave sound in my speakers (optical digital out from ESI Juli@ to my DAC) and the following output:
Code:
/dev/oss/oss_envy24ht0/spdout (audio engine 1): Ego Systems Juli@ digital out
- Performing audio playback test...

But, when opening XBMC and trying to set the audio hardware settings I get stuck... no sound

Any hints to what may work? Or commands I should run to get proper error-feedback for you experts to read?

EDIT:
My main goal is to make my newly made Linux-driven htpc to outperform the combo of an old Xbox w/XBMC and a XP htpc w/foobar2000 for both video and high-quality (lossless .flac) playback of my ripped cds.

DrE
XBMC uses ALSA. Not sure why you shut down ALSA.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:XBMC uses ALSA. Not sure why you shut down ALSA.

It may have been a bad decission on my part... I read somewhere (before installing XBMC) that OSS was easier to set up (and supported more hardware) when searching for "a way to get my ESI Juli@ to work".

But, is there a way to make XBMC use OSS instead, since I`m allready heading down that road...?

DrE
I managed to set my "spdout" as default making the built in ubuntu music player (Rhythmbox) work nicely. Good sound quality (although considerably lower volume output than what I had using xp+foobar2000)

Running the "ls -l /dev/dsp" command outputs the default sound card as "/dev/oss/oss_envy24ht0/spdout"

When editing the hardware-setup in XBMC, should I use this as the "Audio Output Device"? What is the difference between this and "Passthroug Output Device"?

anyways.. I tried setting both Audio Output Device and Passthrough Output Device to "/dev/oss/oss_envy24ht0/spdout". This gave me working navigation sound effects in XBMC, but did not do anything about the doubble/tripple speed of movie playback.

DrE
Code:
pcm.!spdif {
             type hw
             card 0
             device 1
}

pcm.!default {
            type plug
            slave {
                  pcm "spdif"
                  format s32_LE
            }
}

This seemed to work for me. Setting passthrough to spdif, and audio playback to default. Found card and device number using "aplay -l". Save in /etc/asound.conf.bak

Tried experimenting a bit, and when i switched names ( default/spdif ), in code and in xbmc settings, I got a crash everytime I fired up a dvd menu.

Not sure if this helps, but good luck wishes from Norway, and a mutual AvForum.no user Wink
Since I changed from ALSA to OSS I guess using the exact same commands as you will not work ("aplay -l" giving "no soundcards found..." since i shut down ALSA)

not shure if i dare trying the ALSA vs OSS switch again.

Playing movie files with the default movie player in ubuntu 8.04 works fine.

.no rocks! Smile
[QUOTE=teoh]
Code:
pcm.!spdif {
             type hw
             card 0
             device 1
}

pcm.!default {
            type plug
            slave {
                  pcm "spdif"
                  format s32_LE
            }
}

This also worked for me, however i had to remove the format s32_LE entry, and properly specify my device after finding it by running aplay -l. I have both menu settings on default in XBMC.

I used a turtlebeach audio advantage micro, model tbs-1120. Would recommend it to anyone looking for cheap DD/DTS passthrough over optical via USB.

Rest of machine is a Shuttle K48 (integrated Intel GMA950) running on a 2GB corsair voyager, paired with a C2D E6300, and 2GB PC4200 ram. Runs 720p just fine, and so far, to my surprise, handling 1080p x264 quite well!

Very happy so far, next, IR! Thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SPDIF AC3 and DTS passthrough - how to define the device in XBMC0