Duplicate albums and kodis way to handle that
Another shorty
How's kodi acting on duplicates? Not tagging or mbids, but simply duplicate files with/without same tagging?

Say
2 albums both tagged with MB so exactly same tags, but different path
and
2 albums both tagged without MB, so maybe not exact same tags and different path

In the later case, kodi simply shows 2 different entries then, I guess, but what about the first case? Also 2 different albums cause of 2 different paths?
Theoretically:
If present Kodi uses MusicbrainzAlbumId tag as unique in a music collection - this makes sense, why would you want exactly the same release and recodings in your library twice? So it will only have 1 album. Assuming the songs have mbid tags too, then it will try to store the file path details of the last occurance it scanned.

Albums without mbid it uses artist(s) (a union of the names) and album title to find it it is already in the lib. For the songs on that album it then uses filename, title and track - so all the separe files would end up under the same album entry.

In practice:
I would neeed to try it and see, but I suspect that you have tested this for me. Smile
No, haven't tested (have not scanned in sources :-) and I don't mean having duplicates by purpose, but accidentally
(2017-02-13, 09:47)DaveBlake Wrote: Theoretically:
If present Kodi uses MusicbrainzAlbumId tag as unique in a music collection - this makes sense, why would you want exactly the same release and recodings in your library twice?

I could see a scenario where you are syncing your library to playback devices which can only handle certain compressions/bitrates. If you sync from library to device you can convert on the fly and should be OK, but if you also sync from device to library I see you could get this situation.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate albums and kodis way to handle that0