Linux Kodi 17 libnfs problem, Ubuntu 16.04 16.10
Hi,

I have the following problem on my desktop PC. I'm using the latest stable KODI 17 version from repository but I tried it out on the nightly build too, I was on Ubuntu 16.04 but I upgraded yesterday to Ubuntu 16.10, as I have a laptop on Ubuntu 16.10 without error. The problem is the following:

when I try to add a source via NFS I get error message on the console. "Can not resolv into IPv4/v6 structure" But the Ubuntu itself has no problem with the NFS share mount or the showmount -e {IPADDRESS or maintained hostname} can give back the NFS shares.

I raised this question here becasue the problem occurs with Kodi and not with the Ubuntu OS.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong on this desktop installation?

Thanks!
Debug Log
I'm unsure what's causing that particular error (post a log), however if you have no issue with system mounts why not just use those? Configure to mount on boot with fstab etc. I've found system mounts much more reliable than libsmb and libnfs implementations anyway.
Hello,

thanks for the feedback, the auto mount in fstab is already there, how ever I wanted to do "watched status" share with mysql, and if I remember well it was written to use the same access type, like nfs: http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Sync_other_parts_of_Kodi or is it outdated? I tried out now to copy the sources.xml and it is working (with the advancedsettings.xml and is able to play the movies. The only thing what is not working the "Discovery".

Log:

http://pastebin.com/7Bi02b0m

what I have seen from it:

22:05:40.703 T:139729957799680 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libnfs.so.8)
22:05:40.704 T:139729957799680 DEBUG: Loading: libnfs.so.8

22:05:43.734 T:139731821906304 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://
22:05:43.735 T:139731821906304 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs:

Thanks!
(2017-02-16, 23:54)taszilo Wrote: Hello,

Log:
what I have seen from it:

22:05:43.734 T:139731821906304 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://
22:05:43.735 T:139731821906304 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(nfs:

Thanks!

I am having the same problem. I have run kodi (osmc) on an RPi 3, as well as on Linux (Fedora 25) and Windoz 10.Always the same problem: kodi can't scan the network for NFS shares, nor can it access files on NFS shares (see next note).

I am running MySql for the db's. Access to the db's (still) works fine, but, since most of the video and music files are stored in the db with a path of "nfs://<server>/<Path>" kodi says it can't mount the nfs paths - same error as in @taszilo's logs.

On a network sniffer (Wireshark), I can see Portmapper requests coming to the nfs network server, but no response from the server. This is confusing because:
  1. At one point, Kodi/nfs worked fine
  2. upgraded linux, kodi nfs stopped scanning for nfs
  3. upgraded oscmc, same things (kodi fail's to scan for nfs)
  4. downloaded and installed latest Windows kodi build, same problem
  5. I can mount an nfs share manually, but
  6. kodi still can't handle the path prefix: "nfs://<server/"

I have read in various places about incompatibilities with libnfs packages.But I can't fighure out whcich side (client/server) or if both.

Please help! My RPi's have become bricks (without kodi).

TIA

ken

FWIW: I CAN'T use mounted dirs on my filesystem, since the db already use the "nfs://" paths, and can't be changed without reloadiing the entire video and music libraries.

FWIW2: Log file is mostly similar to @taszilo's. But, if really needed, I will upload mine.
you can work around the db having stored nfs:// paths via path substitution in advancedsettings.xml
(2017-05-25, 16:25)wsnipex Wrote: you can work around the db having stored nfs:// paths via path substitution in advancedsettings.xml

Nice idea! I'll try and see if it works.

FWIW: I am thinking now that the last Fedora 25 upgrade, which includes various kernel nfs modules, did something. I am checking over there about this. If the substitution works, maybe I'll file a bug with redhat.

As always, thanks.

ken
Update: as expected, kodi will run fine using pre-mounted shares (eg, from fstab). But it still won't accept the "nfs://<server>/<share> prefix. Think it is a bug within linux kernel nfs drivers.
kodi's builtin NFS support uses libnfs. Nothing to do with kernel drivers.
(2017-05-26, 08:04)wsnipex Wrote: kodi's builtin NFS support uses libnfs. Nothing to do with kernel drivers.

And therein lies the problem.

It's not the kernel drivers on the kodi box; rather it is the kernel drivers on the nfs server.

It seems that the version of libnfs that kodi is using may not be completely compatible with the latest nfs servers. Since all of the files (video, music, pictures) are on the nfs server, they can only get accessed if a share has been mounted via the os. Win10 won't work for me since it has no support for nfs at all (AFAIK).

My question now is: what version of libnfs is kodi using, and does it keep current with the various server kernel (linux) versions around.

I have posted a bug report to the linux group, and it seems like this is not so. I will post a bug with kodi, just to find out.
(2017-05-25, 13:39)daytooner Wrote: On a network sniffer (Wireshark), I can see Portmapper requests coming to the nfs network server, but no response from the server. This is confusing because:
  1. At one point, Kodi/nfs worked fine
  2. upgraded linux, kodi nfs stopped scanning for nfs
  3. upgraded oscmc, same things (kodi fail's to scan for nfs)
  4. downloaded and installed latest Windows kodi build, same problem
  5. I can mount an nfs share manually, but
  6. kodi still can't handle the path prefix: "nfs://<server/"

What ports are the clients using to connect? By default, NFS requests requests to originate from ports < 1024 for security reasons. Ports < 1024 require root/admin privileges and are considered "secure". You can add "insecure" to your export mounts in /etc/exports to allow requests from ports >= 1024.

(2017-05-26, 23:12)daytooner Wrote: Win10 won't work for me since it has no support for nfs at all (AFAIK).
Win10 Enterprise has an NFS client. It doesn't support utf-8 filenames though, so you're stuck with a limited set of codepages for filenames with ANSI as the default.
Hi,

following the dist upgrade of my kodibuntu to 16.04 i cannot access my NFS file anymore

looking into the debug log, I found the following errors
Code:
23:31:21.259 T:140196373518720   ERROR: Unable to load libnfs.so.8, reason: libnfs.so.8: cannot o$
23:31:21.259 T:140196373518720   ERROR: NFS: Error loading libnfs (HandleDyLoad).

so the issue seems to be located with libnfs under 16.04 (kodi was working well under 14.04)

note that I don't have any issue on my second box running on a nvidia stream connected to the same Synology NAS.

so any pointer to resolution would be greatly appreciated as i don't to rebuild my library around samba.

thanks
chris
The problem, for me, was not with kodi, but a bug with an upgrade of rpcbind. That was fixed in RHEL/Fedora. I don't know about (any)buntu distros A quick check for this problem, though, is to see if rpcbind is running (on the nfs server - that's where the real problem was).

To see if you can access the nfs server, try (from a command prompt) "showmount -e <server name>". You should get a list of exports on that server. This is essentially what kodi is doing internally. If you get a message like "Program not registered", then rpcbind probably isn't running (again on the nfs server, not the client).

If you can access the nfs server from one client, but not another, that may be a different problem altogether (permissions usually). Check your system logs for any strange error messages. Also, check the bug list for your distro, to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Hope that helps.

ken
(2017-06-26, 01:22)Chriscc Wrote: Hi,

following the dist upgrade of my kodibuntu to 16.04 i cannot access my NFS file anymore

looking into the debug log, I found the following errors
Code:
23:31:21.259 T:140196373518720   ERROR: Unable to load libnfs.so.8, reason: libnfs.so.8: cannot o$
23:31:21.259 T:140196373518720   ERROR: NFS: Error loading libnfs (HandleDyLoad).

It looks like it can't load libnfs. Is it installed? What version of Kodi is installed? What's the output of:
Code:
apt policy libnfs8 kodi

If libnfs8 is not installed, install it:
Code:
sudo apt install libnfs8
Thanks Yasij, that's solved my issue and the solution was right under my nose.
I installed Libnfs but didn't libnfs8, installing the later solved it for good.

many thanks for your help, it was starting to drive me crazy Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 libnfs problem, Ubuntu 16.04 16.100