Android Minix X8-h plus
Hi. I have a Minix X8-h plus and i uninstalled the XBMC because it was not working. I did that to download KODI but the only available is Krypton which is incompatible with this device. What should i do? is there any change to get an older version of KODI instead of Krypton? Please help

thank you
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/

Jarvis is available here.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I have this box and we have thoroughly tested (user level only!) XBMC, SPMC and Kodi 16 versions.

We find that XBMC for Minix v16.3.3 is the most stable AND best video performance for this box. This XBMC is specially put together by Koying and is SPMC with a few tweaks for Minix.

Generally though, they all work well. I'd recommend adjust refresh rate, use the MediaCodec only and never hardware acceleration for MPEG2 and MPEG4 video.

I have another android box (AMLogic s905) running the latest Kodi Krypton v17.1 RC. Video looks absolutely amazing, not perfectly stable, but good enough for a crappy box that is used once or so a week. It would be very nice if the Minix x8-h+ is upgraded to Android 5 or higher, fingers crossed. I think though there's at least 12 months of use in the Minix with XBMC 16.3.3 that we use on a daily basis. Maybe at that time it will be worthwhile taking the risk and converting the box to use LIbreElec.
(2017-02-18, 00:19)Birlas Wrote: Hi. I have a Minix X8-h plus and i uninstalled the XBMC because it was not working. I did that to download KODI but the only available is Krypton which is incompatible with this device. What should i do? is there any change to get an older version of KODI instead of Krypton? Please help

thank you

***** START HERE - Kodi Krypton problems - and common Android FAQ's with Help *****

Also for all MINIX fans reading....be aware of this...

(2017-02-17, 21:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-02-17, 20:47)distracto Wrote: Hi guys, really long time user here, just popping in to vent

Wondering why all the love for the Android boxes? I purchased a Minix Neo X8-H Plus thinking I would be good for years, but now there is no support for the latest Android and I am stuck with Jarvis until I buy a new box. Rather frustrating to say the least.

Now I could point fingers at KODI and I could point fingers at Minix, but that won't change the fact that I am left behind in the ever evolving world of digital media playback.

I get the whole minimalistic approach as I don't do anything other than stream from my NAS (Netflix would be nice for viewing random documentaries, though my smart TV takes care of this decently) and I need HD pass-through/FLAC and 4K support without having to buy a new box every time android upgrades. This makes me feel that a windows/Linux solution would be best, no? with two little kids at home I don't have time to fiddle around with things, so i tend to shy away from Linux.

Are the windows solutions simply too messy and "sluggish"? I had used them for years and the reason I switched to Android was that I use Android phones (and am comfortable with rooting and flashing) and was tired of being kicked out of XBMC/KODI for windows updates etc., then pulling out the keyboard to navigate to the desktop click the icon and start again. The Minix just keeps KODI running.

I think I am talking myself back into Android/Linux dammit :/

tl;dr - Any ideas/advice for a future-proof tiny box for KODI with HD audio/FLAC and 4K playback?

(oh, and how about advice on a 7.1 receiver to go with it? My Marantz isn't capable of 4K pass-through unfortunately - poor purchase decision on my part)
Get off the Android roundabout and constant upgrade cycle. Ditch the limitations as well that saddle Android.
Simply boot straight into Kodi and be done with it.

Use LibreELEC Kodi. It's dead easy. Buy Hardware, flash pre made .images to a SD card or eMMC with easy to use Software. Plug in and power up. There are many Choices. See Post #1 for the easiest ones to get up and running.

AND if you get officially supported LibreELEC devices they will even Autoupdate for you. No fiddling needed.
An AMLogic S905 LibreELEC device like the C2 is all you will need

EDIT: One thing I will agree on is that it is a pretty poor effort on MINIX's part to not upgrade Android on what was once their "premium" product the X8H-Plus. This device runs a AML S812-H - the same as the WeTek Core - which WeTek had Android Lollipop 5.1.1 running on over a year ago. MINIX's just do not want to devote the developer resources to providing OS upgrades.

It's no wonder users have been purchasing nVIDIA Shields that get actual Android OS upgrade support, or buying devices that easily run LibreELEC.

(2017-02-20, 04:39)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-02-18, 00:19)Birlas Wrote: Hi. I have a Minix X8-h plus and i uninstalled the XBMC because it was not working. I did that to download KODI but the only available is Krypton which is incompatible with this device. What should i do? is there any change to get an older version of KODI instead of Krypton? Please help

thank you

***** START HERE - Kodi Krypton problems - and common Android FAQ's with Help *****

(2017-02-17, 21:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-02-17, 20:47)distracto Wrote: Hi guys, really long time user here, just popping in to vent

Wondering why all the love for the Android boxes? I purchased a Minix Neo X8-H Plus thinking I would be good for years, but now there is no support for the latest Android and I am stuck with Jarvis until I buy a new box. Rather frustrating to say the least.

Now I could point fingers at KODI and I could point fingers at Minix, but that won't change the fact that I am left behind in the ever evolving world of digital media playback.

I get the whole minimalistic approach as I don't do anything other than stream from my NAS (Netflix would be nice for viewing random documentaries, though my smart TV takes care of this decently) and I need HD pass-through/FLAC and 4K support without having to buy a new box every time android upgrades. This makes me feel that a windows/Linux solution would be best, no? with two little kids at home I don't have time to fiddle around with things, so i tend to shy away from Linux.

Are the windows solutions simply too messy and "sluggish"? I had used them for years and the reason I switched to Android was that I use Android phones (and am comfortable with rooting and flashing) and was tired of being kicked out of XBMC/KODI for windows updates etc., then pulling out the keyboard to navigate to the desktop click the icon and start again. The Minix just keeps KODI running.

I think I am talking myself back into Android/Linux dammit :/

tl;dr - Any ideas/advice for a future-proof tiny box for KODI with HD audio/FLAC and 4K playback?

(oh, and how about advice on a 7.1 receiver to go with it? My Marantz isn't capable of 4K pass-through unfortunately - poor purchase decision on my part)
Get off the Android roundabout and constant upgrade cycle. Ditch the limitations as well that saddle Android.

Use LibreELEC Kodi. It's dead easy. Buy Hardware, flash pre made .images to a SD card or eMMC with easy to use Software. Plug in and power up. There are many Choices. See Post #1 for the easiest ones to get up and running.

AND if you get officially supported LibreELEC devices they will even Autoupdate for you. No fiddling needed.

EDIT: One thing I will agree on is that it is a pretty poor effort on MINIX's part to not upgrade Android on what was once their "premium" product the X8H-Plus. This device runs a AML S812-H - the same as the WeTek Core - which WeTek had Android Lollipop 5.1.1 running on over a year ago. MINIX's just do not want to devote the developer resources to providing OS upgrades.

It's no wonder users have been purchasing nVIDIA Shields that get actual Android OS upgrade support, or buying devices that easily run LibreELEC.

Amlogic terminated to provide technical support for S812 platform.
No more bug fixes, that's the reason for not releasing.
It's not about MINIX's resources.
Last update was January 2017 by the way.
>10 FW released, > 2 years support since launch.

Quote:acst
February 16 #10
flicker said:
Kodi is not working after this update and also Google Play Store seems to be gone...

KODI isn't an update problem, it's updated automatically (probably) on your Core to KODI 17 which doesn't work good with the Core. You can use the Wetek Player (which is a fork of KODI 16) instead.
Good? Newbie Moderator, pease kindly stop advertising for your friends.
(2017-02-21, 11:02)kenofstephen Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 04:39)wrxtasy Wrote:

thank you

(2017-02-17, 21:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Get off the Android roundabout and constant upgrade cycle. Ditch the limitations as well that saddle Android.

Newbie Moderator.

Still poor support from Minix when other manufacturers have upgraded their OSs.

My perception is that Minix create most of the problems requiring new FW releases which is why they need so many compared to other manufacturers, taking their customers down a dead end route due to all the 'Special' firmware fixes they create making an OS upgrade impossible.

Supposed to a premium supported product :-(

Not updating a Minix's OSs seems to be a Minix unstated policy, which is why I won't be buying another one!

Minix stopped support of the Minix X8h plus last year, yet they are still shipping unsupported boxes that won't support latest version of Kodi for sale at a premium price of £120 on Amazon UK, total disgrace!!!!!!

Pity anyone that buys one who is not aware of this sorry state of affairs, they should return it immediately.
(2017-02-21, 11:02)kenofstephen Wrote: Amlogic terminated to provide technical support for S812 platform.

What Rubbish !

I'm not talking about ongoing Firmware support but the Android OS update process itself across any Hardware platform.

Here is the AMLogic Android Release table, which clearly shows Android 5.1.1 is possible on the S812 Chipset:
http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox

nVIDIA with their Shield has release what two Android OS upgrades.

HiMedia with their Q5/10 have skipped Android Lollipop and have released Android Nougat.

No this is all about getting loyal MINIX customers to upgrade to new Hardware because a company is not willing to put the time money and effort into Android OS upgrades like others Hardware tech companies here on the forum do.

Ultimately this does nothing for MINIX brand loyalty, when potential customers see what has occurred in the past regarding Android OS upgrades on their devices.

(2017-02-21, 11:23)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-02-21, 11:02)kenofstephen Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 04:39)wrxtasy Wrote: ***** START HERE - Kodi Krypton problems - and common Android FAQ's with Help *****

Newbie Moderator.

Still poor support from Minix when other manufacturers have upgraded their OSs.

My perception is that Minix create most of the problems requiring new FW releases which is why they need so many compared to other manufacturers, taking their customers down a dead end route due to all the 'Special' firmware fixes they create making an OS upgrade impossible.

Supposed to a premium supported product :-(

Not updating a Minix's OSs seems to be a Minix unstated policy, which is why I won't be buying another one!

Minix stopped support of the Minix X8h plus last year, yet they are still shipping unsupported boxes that won't support latest version of Kodi for sale at a premium price of £120 on Amazon UK, total disgrace!!!!!!

Pity anyone that buys one who is not aware of this sorry state of affairs, they should return it immediately.

Last firmware was January 2017?
(2017-02-21, 12:13)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-02-21, 11:02)kenofstephen Wrote: Amlogic terminated to provide technical support for S812 platform.

What Rubbish !

I'm not talking about ongoing Firmware support but the Android OS update process itself across any Hardware platform.

Here is the AMLogic Android Release table, which clearly shows Android 5.1.1 is possible on the S812 Chipset:
http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox

nVIDIA with their Shield has release what two Android OS upgrades.

HiMedia with their Q5/10 have skipped Android Lollipop and have released Android Nougat.

No this is all about getting loyal MINIX customers to upgrade to new Hardware because a company is not willing to put the time money and effort into Android OS upgrades like others Hardware tech companies here on the forum do.

Ultimately this does nothing for MINIX brand loyalty, when potential customers see what has occurred in the past regarding Android OS upgrades on their devices.

Possible but without techinical support and bug fixes from chipset vendor, the result would be ugly, like the brand you mentioned.
Amlogic said they will provide no source code updates / bug fixes for 5.1 - last time they updated was May 2015 - don't be selectively blind.
Properly working mediacodec with switching capability? NO
Properly working API23 passthrough for Kodi 17? NO

Then, how is it "better" than a customized V16 or SPMC which support amcodec switching & hd audio passthrough? Please answer this.

Q5? Q10? HiSilicon? Off-topic?

Ya it's really rubbish if a moderator can't be neutral on stuff.
You're here to moderate, if you can't control yourself and would keep posting biased comments,
then probably you should not take the moderator job, and just be a member, like you did before.
You're very biased, maybe you're so adapted and you don't feel it anymore.

Which version of Kodi is the most suitable for a device depends on the capability of the device, what codec it support, and which passthrough scheme it support, not its Android version.

Mimicking your biased tone:
It's a pretty poor effort for Wxxxk not to update its premium product Core to support mediacodec frame switching and hd audio passthrough for Kodi 17. Wxxxk just do not want to devote the developer resources to providing software upgrades.

I would not forget your name for what you've done before:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252356&page=4

You're a biased person.
I had better remove the name MINIX from my START HERE Hardware Q & A thread then if I really need to ramp up my "biased" opinion. I might even consider doing just that to reinforce your viewpoint. Wink

Don't worry every Kodi Hardware platform cops their fair whack at various times or another...I too can selectively pick out various past Posts where I've served it up to other Kodi Hardware vendors - Wxxxx included.

Back to the original question....because its worth repeating...before the thread went downhill...

thank you
Kodi Krypton will not install on your Android KitKat 4.x OS equipped MINIX device. It needs Android Lollipop 5.x as a minimum to be able to install.
Please ask MINIX for an Android OS update.

I suspect you are going to have to buy new hardware like a nVIDIA Shield that gets regular Android OS upgrades OR buy a platform that has a an easy to use dual boot Android / LibreELEC Kodi system. You will then have all bases covered going forward with Kodi.

For those MINIX X8-H Plus users that like a challenge and a bit of DIY, you can experiment with MultiBoot to try and get LibreELEC Kodi Krypton working on your old box. Details here:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1506-p...l#pid23090

This is the Script referred in that link above for the S812 - MINIX:
https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s90...BOOT_MINIX

thank you

I also have a Minix X8H-Plus and was able to flash the firmware to lollipop 5.1.1. I am including a link to the instructions on how to flash the firmware, if you can't access the link you'll need to create an account for the Minix forums.
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x8-h-p...017.16633/

Follow the instructions in the following guide and you should have no problems. All the links are provided in the guide for the USB Flash tool and the firmware.
http://minixforum.com/threads/how-to-fla...image.116/

If you have any questions reply back to my reply.
(2017-07-08, 23:13)Johnny50207 Wrote:

thank you

I also have a Minix X8H-Plus and was able to flash the firmware to lollipop 5.1.1. I am including a link to the instructions on how to flash the firmware, if you can't access the link you'll need to create an account for the Minix forums.

Follow the instructions in the following guide and you should have no problems. All the links are provided in the guide for the USB Flash tool and the firmware.

@Johnny50207,
Gonna jump in and try this - so disappointed for the last several months with the poor Kodi performance on my Minix.
Question: Once I'm able to complete the FLASH of lollipop 5.1.1, on my Minix X8-h plus, ... what version of Kodi will run on it?
(2017-11-17, 22:01)chringram Wrote:
(2017-07-08, 23:13)Johnny50207 Wrote:

thank you

@Johnny50207,
Gonna jump in and try this - so disappointed for the last several months with the poor Kodi performance on my Minix.
Question: Once I'm able to complete the FLASH of lollipop 5.1.1, on my Minix X8-h plus, ... what version of Kodi will run on it? 

I found this rom to be better than the Minix one:- http://www.minixforum.com/threads/finles...ost-145436

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix X8-h plus0