General Source Question
Hello all! I'm relatively new to Kodi and have made much progress but find I need to start from scratch for various reasons, So -

I have a NAS that will serve files to Kodi. It is a Qnap TS-x53A.

My Kodi will run on Ubuntu which runs on top of QTS 4.2.3 on the NAS OS. My "guess" is it is running as a virtual machine, but I'm new to that too!
The file structure of the NAS is Multimedia/Music
Multimedia/Videos
Multimedia/Photos
Multimedia/Whatever I want

Anyway, the question is - Is it better to add source from Kodi file manager as NAS/Multimedia (seems like I get best results with SMB), or to point Kodi at each individual folder either from file manager or the specific add source dialog from tech skin selection? e.g. - Videos - Add Source - NAS/Multimedia/Videos? or - Videos - Add Source - NAS/Multimedia/Videos/Movies, Videos - Add Source - NAS/Multimedia/Videos/Home Movies, Videos - Add Source - NAS/Multimedia/Videos/Comedians, and so on...

Or am I making a mountain out of a simple "Add Source - NAS/Multimedia?

I get the impression I might have some form of control or display arranging by selecting each source independently and unique to the Kodi dialog I am accessing at that time.

And if I may... My iTunes folder is configured so iTunes arranges my music. In that directory its iTunes/Music/Alrtist/Album except for compilation albums. Should I have all albums at the root level? In other words, take all the compilation albums out of "complications" on the NAS and have then under Multimedia/Music? Or will THIS make any difference?

Since I am starting from scratch, I hope to not have to go back and change things to much!

Thanks for any thoughts!!
You should add each source in the proper menu and set the correct content type to ensure you have no scraping issues.

Examples:
If you add "Multimedia/Videos" in File Manager, you will be able to copy and delete files from it, but not scrape metadata.
If you add "Multimedia/Videos" in Videos -> Add Source, you will be able to scrape metadata and so on...

Be aware that within Videos there are multiple content types - Adding_videos_to_the_library/Setting_content_and_scanning (wiki)

For your setup, I would suggest:

NAS/Multimedia/Videos/Movies || Videos -> Add Source || Content Type = Movies
NAS/Multimedia/Videos/TV Shows || Videos -> Add Source || Content Type = TV Shows
Adding_videos_to_the_library (wiki)

NAS/Multimedia/Photos || Photos -> Add Source || no content type needed
Pictures#Sources_for_Pictures (wiki)
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
Thank you for the reply! Sorry I'm late to the party. Been away.
So the follow-up question would be this.... My DVD movies are in .iso format. Many advantages there for me to keep them in .iso With "extras" discs in the same folder as the movie .iso as a subfolder as "movie name-Extras". My Blurays are in .mkv format as the movie only. With any extras in a subfolder like the DVDs.

movies / DVD / Star Trek (2008) / Star Trek.DVD.iso
movies / DVD / Star Trek (2008) / Star Trek Extras / Star Trek Bonus Disc.DVD.iso

movies / HD / Avatar / Avatar.mkv
movies / HD / Avatar / Avatar Extras / Avatar trailer.mv making of Avatar.mkv Outtakes.mv

If I point the source at the folder "DVD" or the folder "HD", then all the extras scrape as movies unless I change each indivual subfolder. I did this the first time around. Much work but worth it. But here again there has to be an easier way. How are people organizing their extras? I am thinking of making an Extras folder at the root, put all my movie extras there in folders named for each movie, and just add that source and have no scraper. But then how will I know if there are any extras for a particular movie?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Extras

Put your extras in a sub folder of each of your movies called "Extras", and use the addon above.

Ohhh forgot to mention, use the .nomedia trick to avoid your Extras folders from being scanned into the library, or change your advancedsettings.xml to not scan the Extras folders in general. More here http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_sc....2Ffolders
(2017-03-02, 14:46)helta Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Extras

Put your extras in a sub folder of each of your movies called "Extras", and use the addon above.

Ohhh forgot to mention, use the .nomedia trick to avoid your Extras folders from being scanned into the library, or change your advancedsettings.xml to not scan the Extras folders in general. More here http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_sc....2Ffolders

OK....I am familiar with that add-on but my folders are named after the movie with "extras" in the name. e.g. - "Spy Game Extras" You are saying to name the folder just "Extras" And is my naming the reason the add-on didn't seem to work??

Also, I go to make a file with the name .nomedia and my Mac puts an extension on it. ".nomedia.rtd" Should the .nomedia name be the filename? Without an extension? Or should the extension be .xml?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General Source Question0