• 3(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
Is there an android version for this box? I am interested if acestream app can run in oscm? Thanks
We will do an Android release shortly. It will boot from SD.

Not sure if the add-on you mentioned is legal or one of the 'grey' area add-ons like Pulsar, but it will work with OSMC.

Sam
(2017-05-23, 22:41)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: We will do an Android release shortly. It will boot from SD.

Not sure if the add-on you mentioned is legal or one of the 'grey' area add-ons like Pulsar, but it will work with OSMC.

Sam

Thanks man. I am not talking about an addon, but about this app which is in Play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ream.media

Thanks again.
Okay. I believe AceStream is also a Kodi add-on, so it will work on OSMC as is. Android doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.

Our Android release will permit installation of APKs, but we won't bundle the Play Store.

Sam
I love how open this discussion here is so I order a Vero 4k a week back and just setting it up.

Will there be the possibility to use Netflix in 4k HDR Mode when the Android Version is ready? (would love to use it - else i have to move over to Nvidia or Amazon)
Hi

4K HDR support would require HDCP and Widevine certification.
The Vero 4K doesn't have this because OSMC is the primary OS for the device, and there's no use for these certifications (only added cost). The demand for Android isn't sufficient enough
for us to justify going through these certifications at this time.

Cheers

Sam
Here is my evaluation of Vero 4K's media playback performance.

Image _____________ Image
________________________________________________________*Live TV playback not tested.

Media Playback Performance:

All tests were done on 04/01 release.

Audio:

Passthrough: No problem here. All audio codecs including object-based surround audio (Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X) were passed through.
PCM audio: Output is limited to 16-bit and is capped at 96 kHz. Hi-resolution 24-bit audio will be dithered to 16-bit. 176.4 and 192 kHz are down sampled to 96 kHz.

Video:

1080p: No problem with interlaced or progressive content. I have not tested live TV playback. So, can’t comment on that. Refresh rate and resolution switching (1080p to 2160p) works.
Playback seems to be fine with 720p Hi10p, but it is not smooth with 1080p.

2160p: 8-bit playback is OK except for H.264 50/60 frame rate content, but that is a limitation of the SoC. 2160p 10-bit playback is limited to 8-bit color depth just like it is on LibreELEC.

HDR: Rec.2020 color space and HDR10 metadata passthrough works only when there is no refresh rate switching (either disabled or refresh rate is set to match the frame rate manually).
Dolby Vision HDR sample clips play OK, but Dolby Vision metadata cannot be detected in the output. Similarly, HDR10 videos in VP9 profile 2.0 format can be played, but the output doesn’t seem to have HDR metadata.

3D: HSBS/HTAB playback in 1080p doesn’t trigger 3D signaling. You have to manually select the 3D mode on the TV. When output resolution is set to 2160p, HSBS/HTAB content is played only in the left half or top half of the screen.

Color Fidelity: Native 8-bit output is fine. 10-bit content is dithered to 8-bit and has huge chroma errors. From an academic stand point, this will be considered as unwatchable. This seems to be a problem with the Linux driver because LibreELEC builds also show same errors.
Hi.

Thanks for the extensive review and taking time to review the Vero 4K.

I want to address some of your points:

16-bit/96Khz will be resolved in a future update.

5.1/7.1LPCM shouldn't be a problem, unless your chart is referring to the current 96Khz limitation. If you send me a clip or debug log I can look in to this.

FLAC can't be passed through. Not aware of devices supporting this.

2160p/10-bit: you are correct in that this is sometimes hit and miss. We already have support for 10-bit output modes in the next kernel. They're exposed via sysfs in the kernel so they can be set in the same way as any other AML mode (disp_mode). We need to also check hints in the video and adjust the mode correctly. For now, you can manually trigger a mode, but that's not ideal. I assume by 3D output being presented as 2D you mean that it's being output as SBS. The sysfs patch also adds support for frame packed video output via sysfs, which means 3D playback will improve.

Re 3D: HSBS/HTAB playback in 1080p doesn’t trigger 3D signaling. This was addressed on Vero 2 [1], but needs forward porting and we need
to trigger this on hints as well and check stereoscopicmanager.

I'd appreciate you retesting after some further announcements are made at osmc.tv/blog.

If you have an account on our Discourse, shoot me a PM and I'll send you some test builds as soon as they're available, provided you don't mind being on the bleeding edge.

Best

Sam

[1] https://github.com/osmc/vero2-linux/comm...4d2fcb7b68
(2017-05-28, 23:08)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: 5.1/7.1LPCM shouldn't be a problem, unless your chart is referring to the current 96Khz limitation. If you send me a clip or debug log I can look in to this.
FLAC can't be passed through. Not aware of devices supporting this.
This is my mistake. There is no problem with FLAC/AAC 5.1/7.1 decode. I will make the changes in the chart.

Quote:I assume by 3D output being presented as 2D you mean that it's being output as SBS. The sysfs patch also adds support for frame packed video output via sysfs, which means 3D playback will improve.

Re 3D: HSBS/HTAB playback in 1080p doesn’t trigger 3D signaling. This was addressed on Vero 2 [1], but needs forward porting and we need
to trigger this on hints as well and check stereoscopicmanager.
No, there is no HTAB or HSBS output from 3D MVC (ISO or MKV).

Quote:If you have an account on our Discourse, shoot me a PM and I'll send you some test builds as soon as they're available, provided you don't mind being on the bleeding edge.
I don't have an account on your discourse.
(2017-05-28, 23:21)wesk05 Wrote: This is my mistake. There is no problem with FLAC/AAC 5.1/7.1 decode. I will make the changes in the chart.

Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:No, there is no HTAB or HSBS output from 3D MVC (ISO or MKV).

That may be a bug then, but last time I checked it was working, just being output as SBS instead of FP (which is more ideal).

Can you confirm 3D output is configured correctly in Kodi (you should be prompted when you press Play). Your file name also
needs to be named correctly so Kodi knows how to handle it.

Quote:I don't have an account on your discourse.

Ok -- no problem. Feel free to ping me at [email protected] if you want to stay in the loop,
otherwise just wait, as improvements are coming.
(2017-05-28, 19:10)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Hi

4K HDR support would require HDCP and Widevine certification.
The Vero 4K doesn't have this because OSMC is the primary OS for the device, and there's no use for these certifications (only added cost). The demand for Android isn't sufficient enough
for us to justify going through these certifications at this time.

Cheers

Sam

thx for your fast response
a bit disappointing but I understand the decision. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video would be really nice (specially with children)

I found two things when adding a MySQL DB to OSMC which is pre filled from KODI (OpenElec)
  • I can't enter a Host name, only IP Addresses. But I try to avoid fixed IPs
  • The watched status isn't taken in to account Sad
Netflix / Amazon are likely to come to Kodi v18 (with inputstream).

I always recommend IP over hostname, because hostname resolution is buggy on some networks. But if it works well for you, stick with it.
You can copy advancedsettings.xml (which stores Kodi DB info) instead of entering it through OSMC GUI.

Re. watched status: make sure your systems are all running the same version of Kodi

Sam
(2017-05-29, 00:09)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: That may be a bug then, but last time I checked it was working, just being output as SBS instead of FP (which is more ideal).

Can you confirm 3D output is configured correctly in Kodi (you should be prompted when you press Play). Your file name also

The only 3D option I see is the playback mode for which I select "Preferred mode (Same as movie)". I don't see options like "Decode the stereo stream from 3D files" or "Enable Full HD HDMI modes for stereoscopic 3D" as in Pi2.

I use a set of files for testing devices and these 3D files are OK on other devices that support 3D playback. The file names have either 3D.MVC or 3D.HSBS or 3D.HTAB.
I have the impression that an android version for this box, would make it more attractive to potential users.
(2017-05-29, 07:27)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-05-29, 00:09)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: That may be a bug then, but last time I checked it was working, just being output as SBS instead of FP (which is more ideal).

The only 3D option I see is the playback mode for which I select "Preferred mode (Same as movie)". I don't see options like "Decode the stereo stream from 3D files" or "Enable Full HD HDMI modes for stereoscopic 3D" as in Pi2.

I use a set of files for testing devices and these 3D files are OK on other devices that support 3D playback. The file names have either 3D.MVC or 3D.HSBS or 3D.HTAB.

Usually there's option like Monoscopic or Same as Movie.
If you post a debug log of a problematic clip I'll take a look.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4