• 6(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
Is there combing? Especially when doing horizontal panning?

Use your eyes is probably your best bet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-08, 07:09)preppie Wrote: Just received my Vero 4K and so far very happy with it (will return with a review shortly). Question, how do I know if the hardware deinterlacing is working as intended on a clip? The software options are greyed out for obvious reasons I assume and it says off on deinterlace.

Watch a native interlaced source with motion and see if it is deinterlaced or not. Anything native interlaced (i.e. not shot 24/25p) shouldn't have combing on horizontal motion (i.e. you shouldn't see thin lines)

News channel tickers on 480i, 576i or 1080i sources are usually a good test - if they comb on horizontal motion, then they aren't being deinterlaced correctly, if they are smooth with no combing, then they probably are.

Using your eyes, as nickr says, is the best way to check. It's very clear, very quickly... Some platforms - like the AMLogic SoCs - have hardware deinterlacing that isn't controlled directly by Kodi - so the deinterlace option is greyed out (as deinterlacing takes place automatically when an interlaced source is played back in a codec that is hardware accelerated I believe?)
That's correct.

Content will be deinterlaced (progressive sources bypass DI).
DI is quite configurable, but not via Kodi. There are a number of module params that can be adjusted but we don't recommend doing this.
Yes the AMLogic family of SoC's has long been known for high quality Advanced Motion Adaptive hardware deinterlacing at budget prices. With the S905's I cannot tell the difference between deinterlacing quality on those and my 2 year old 4K TV.

Such deinterlacing quality was one of the primary reasons I bought a ODROID C1 - AML S805 a couple of years ago now for fast action Football viewing - which is the ultimate stress test. Smile

(2017-09-08, 15:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Such deinterlacing quality was one of the primary reasons I bought a ODROID C1 - AML S805 a couple of years ago now for fast action Football viewing - which is the ultimate stress test. Smile
The ultimate stress test are these test patterns: HD 1080i Test Patterns Test the patterns & let me know how the Amlogic SoCs fare Wink

Also try this clip from FPD Benchmark Disc: Rotating Globe
Haven't seen this mentioned, so, there is an excellent review for the Vero 4K here - https://www.avforums.com/review/osmc-ver...view.13857 Oh,and I should have mentioned its a very good review, 9/10 !!

Apologies if its posted elsewhere and I missed it!
Review here as well:

https://www.htpcbeginner.com/osmc-vero-4k-review/

"... the Vero 4K also makes a wonderful Kodi box for first-time users. Because there’s no difficult set up involved and it’s ready to use out of the box, the Vero 4K is arguably the best Kodi box on the market... Overall, I’ve been thoroughly impressed with the OSMC Vero 4K. It’s the best device I’ve tried which comes with Kodi pre-installed, and delivers maximum performance. It provides desktop-caliber power in a small form factor."
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
10% off everything currently over at the OSMC store so finally decided to order one. Looking forward to it Smile
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
3d mvc is being worked on? Cool, might get one too then
I wonder how far they are in progress with it?
How are you all getting on with this box its reviews are fantastic, not only 5 year support of updates.
Hey, whats the difference between the Xiaomi 4k and the Vero4k? Thx in advance
I read that vero 4k has no power on/off switch.
Sad
bah
Why on earth bring a device with no powerswitch
although they say it doesnt consume much

still it should have an on/off button
OSMC does it uses kodi's internal player or external player?
What about it when 3d mvc support comes out, will it be internal (like afedchin did for nuc's) or external?
(2017-09-25, 19:31)Skank Wrote: I read that vero 4k has no power on/off switch.
Sad
bah
Why on earth bring a device with no powerswitch
although they say it doesnt consume much

still it should have an on/off button
The Vero 4K is an always-on device. If you need a power switch perhaps there may be power adapters with a build-in on/off switch that are compatible? I've seen them for the RPi2/3.
(2017-09-23, 08:56)Skank Wrote: 3d mvc is being worked on? Cool, might get one too then
I wonder how far they are in progress with it?
Me too, but if it's going to be a half-rez solution as we've had w/AmLogic chips to date, will pass.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4