• 10(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
(2017-11-20, 03:12)TheShoe Wrote: what is the latest with 3D?
Unfortunately not much has changed just yet.
MKV is working. ISO is proving trickier; but users have reported issues with 3D ISO on Pi too; so I am seeing if there's a problem that's common to all platforms.

I'm going to get some test builds out for some users that have been keen to test shortly. I have just finished the Debian Stretch migration, so for now we are freezing the
Jessie repository (including devel). In a couple of days we will have the Stretch repository built out, and test builds will resume on that side. The downtime gives us a couple
of days to improve a few things and squash a couple of bugs. 

Cheers

Sam
Per my PM, happy to be a guinea pig on 3D.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Cheers. I have made some progress, and we found out what was wrong with 3D signalling / autoswitching.
The same regs are used for DV and 3D > gxl. In hdmitx, AML was checking DV capabilities after 3D, which meant that even if 3D should have been signalled it wouldn't be. 

Sam
That flew right over my head, which is why I'm not a developer... but, sounds like you know the issue & hopefully how to target the fix Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
How does the Vero 4K handle UHD rips playing to a 1080p projector. My panasonic UHD bluray players down-res the 4K content to 1080p, when playing through my 1080p projector. Also does HDR to SDR conversion. Does Vero 4K do that?
Yes — the output would be clamped at 1080p.

There is indeed HDR to SDR dithering.
There will also be some colour calibration options coming in the next update which will be released in a few days

Sam
(2017-12-04, 22:43)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Yes — the output would be clamped at 1080p.

There will also be some colour calibration options coming in the next update which will be released in a few days

Sam
Excellent! Thanks a lot for the reply. I hope Vero 4K does a good job of the DR dithering....I have read that there is a difference among UHD Bluray players in this aspect.
(2017-12-05, 16:49)ugotvijay Wrote:
(2017-12-04, 22:43)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Yes — the output would be clamped at 1080p.

Sam
Excellent! Thanks a lot for the reply. I hope Vero 4K does a good job of the DR dithering....I have read that there is a difference among UHD Bluray players in this aspect. 
There are a few options (although they are not trivially configurable currently) and need to be done via SSH.

Sam
(2017-12-05, 16:49)ugotvijay Wrote:

Sam

Yep - there's no perfect way of going from Rec 2020 HDR to ITU 709 SDR (which is often what is required - though Rec 2020 SDR may also be an option)

UHD Blu-ray players usually offer a number of different modes - my Sony has about 8 I think, but the Panasonic has a lot more than that, which handle how the tone mapping is implemented (i.e. what you do at the high and low ends of the dynamic range and how you handle out of gamut colour)
Any 3d yet?
(2017-12-26, 12:16)Skank Wrote: Any 3d yet?
 Automatic switching to 3D modes will come in the next update (due very shortly). 
I've posted some progress we have made in another thread -- annoyingly I can't find it at the moment.

We are releasing the Stretch update and a few fixes first. It's important for us to fix and maintain what we currently promise before we add any new features.
Once 3D improvements are ready for testing, I'll let people know here as well as on the OSMC forums.

Cheers

Sam
(2017-12-26, 18:59)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-12-26, 12:16)Skank Wrote: Any 3d yet?
 Automatic switching to 3D modes will come in the next update (due very shortly). 
I've posted some progress we have made in another thread -- annoyingly I can't find it at the moment.

We are releasing the Stretch update and a few fixes first. It's important for us to fix and maintain what we currently promise before we add any new features.
Once 3D improvements are ready for testing, I'll let people know here as well as on the OSMC forums.

Cheers

Sam

Cool looking forward to!
I'm gonna take the jump as soon as 3d is included :p
Don't wait, its a great box. I now need to swap my other chromeboxes for these so I can play 4K on more than just the 1 TV I have with the Vero 4K. They're also tiny, so very easy to mount behind the TV on wallmounts etc. 

@ Sam, I'd be interested to know if we could get some other approved power supplies than the bundled one. It's fine, but would prefer a low profile (UK) plug or could it run off a USB > power cable so it could be plugged into a slim USB plug like an Apple plug?
(2017-12-28, 20:55)t2ffn Wrote: Don't wait, its a great box. I now need to swap my other chromeboxes for these so I can play 4K on more than just the 1 TV I have with the Vero 4K. They're also tiny, so very easy to mount behind the TV on wallmounts etc. 

@ Sam, I'd be interested to know if we could get some other approved power supplies that the bundled one. It's fine, but would prefer a low profile (UK) plug or could it run off a USB > power cable so it could be plugged into a slim USB plug like an Apple plug?
Thanks for your kind words.

There's no other PSU we specifically approve. The specs of the PSU are 5V, 2A center positive, 5.5mm OD; 2.1mm ID. So if you can find one that meets those specifications, then you should be fine.

The Vero 4K can be powered via the USB port. This has been used in some more industrial applications of the device. You won't be able to power external USB devices however, and you may not be getting enough power through USB if you use a poor quality cable. 

Sam
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4