• 11(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
Perfect, just ordered a StarTech USB power cable with those specs. I'll be ordering another box soon for the kitchen TV as it's on a pull/swing out arm, the Vero will be easier to attach/conceal behind the TV than the current chromebox and it's bigger power cables. If the TV USB will power it (even with TV turned off) as they have powered USB slots for DVR HDDs these days I'll be smiling from ear to ear too!
(2017-12-30, 01:54)t2ffn Wrote: Perfect, just ordered a StarTech USB power cable with those specs. I'll be ordering another box soon for the kitchen TV as it's on a pull/swing out arm, the Vero will be easier to attach/conceal behind the TV than the current chromebox and it's bigger power cables. If the TV USB will power it (even with TV turned off) as they have powered USB slots for DVR HDDs these days I'll be smiling from ear to ear too!
 Let me know how you get on with it. We don't recommend powering via USB for all use cases; but you cannot damage the device from doing this. Make sure you don't have the barrel jack power source attached as well. 

Sam
I won't be powering the Vero via the Vero's USB port, I have bought a USB to barrel power cable with the specs of the PSU you listed. The USB will be powered from a TV USB port / low profile USB wall plug to the Vero's power port. Ideally the TV USB will be powerful enough and always on, but if not, I'll use a low profile USB wall plug (like an apple one) but with the right 2000ma 5V output, purely to have a lower profile plug as it sits behind a TV which will allow the TV to fit flusher to the wall.

Thansk
The usb 2 spec is for 500mA power, if you get more, that's a matter of luck.

i think usb 3 is higher, but you'll have to Google for that info.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm thinking about getting a Vero 4K.
My skin of choice is Aeon Madnox. I used to have a ODroid C2 and navigating this skin was not pretty. Very sluggish.

Right now my ChromeBOX, which  only has 2GB of RAM, runs Madnox flawlessly.

The ODroid too has 2GB of RAM so I'm not sure why it smooths on one and terrible on the other.
What results should I expect with this box?
Thanks.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2018-01-15, 21:41)ArieS Wrote: I'm thinking about getting a Vero 4K.
My skin of choice is Aeon Madnox. I used to have a ODroid C2 and navigating this skin was not pretty. Very sluggish.

The ODroid too has 2GB of RAM so I'm not sure why it smooths on one and terrible on the other.
Thanks.

Purpose to replace your nuc? It would for me...
Is this using eMMC flash for storage ?
And are you Overclocking ?

I'm asking because I would not regard a standard Aeon Nox setup as extra sluggish on the C2 vs other AML devices I've used, especially when combined with a wireless remote.
S905X devices like the Vero would actually be worse due to the inability to Overclock. They may be quicker if everything is run from eMMC flash storage vs a slow microSDHC card.

(2018-01-15, 23:30)Skank Wrote:

Thanks.

Purpose to replace your nuc? It would for me... 
It would be to replace the ChromeBOX till the 3D works on the Vero 4K.
Then it would probably replace the NUC and I would keep using the ChromeBOX for 1080p things.
(2018-01-15, 23:41)wrxtasy Wrote:
Is this using eMMC flash for storage ?
And are you Overclocking ?

I'm asking because I would not regard a standard Aeon Nox setup as extra sluggish on the C2 vs other AML devices I've used, especially when combined with a wireless remote.
S905X devices like the Vero would actually be worse due to the inability to Overclock. They may be quicker if everything is run from eMMC flash storage vs a slow microSDHC card. 
Yes, I was using a 16gb eMMC flash and no, it wasn't overclocked.
Keep in mind I'm talking about Aeon Madnox, not the reg. Aeon Nox. The reg. Nox worked fine on the C2.
You are going to need a decent Intel or NVIDIA machine with a beefy CPU/GPU combo, preferable with a SSD if Aeon Madox is an real demanding Skin with lots of Animations and fancy graphics and transitions.

A C2 needs at a minimum to be Overclocked for a real demanding Skin like Aeon Madnox, using this 64bit .tar update and instructions from HERE

Even then it may not be enough to satisfy.

(2018-01-16, 01:30)wrxtasy Wrote: You are going to need a decent Intel or NVIDIA machine with a beefy CPU/GPU combo, preferable with a SSD if Aeon Madox is an real demanding Skin with lots of Animations and fancy graphics and transitions.

A C2 needs at a minimum to be Overclocked for a real demanding Skin like Aeon Madnox, using this 64bit .tar update and instructions from HERE

Even then it may not be enough to satisfy.
S905x GPU can be overclocked. This is already possible via sysfs.
I suspect however that there is indeed a configuration issue.

You may have also noticed that recently we added support for ARM freq control.
AML have been able to produce S905x chips at 2Ghz for some time, and we're waiting to hit the switch Wink

As @wrxtasy says, you may need an Intel machine for this however if the skin is very demanding. 

Sam
Currently a Nvidia Shield owner. Weighing up the pros and cons of Vero 4K, ATV 4K, and Minix U9.

1) Is it on the Vero 4K roadmap for the remote to have voice functionality in near future? Or is there a compatible voice remote for the Vero?

2) If I have a USB HDD (WD My Passport) permanently connected, will Vero 4K spin it down after a certain amount of time of inactivity?

3) Can Vero 4K be powered up and down from the remote?

4) Can Vero 4K be powered up and down using Harmony Elite?
(2018-01-16, 17:59)viperlogic Wrote: Currently a Nvidia Shield owner. Weighing up the pros and cons of Vero 4K, ATV 4K, and Minix U9.

1) Is it on the Vero 4K roadmap for the remote to have voice functionality in near future? Or is there a compatible voice remote for the Vero?

2) If I have a USB HDD (WD My Passport) permanently connected, will Vero 4K spin it down after a certain amount of time of inactivity?

1. Not at this time unfortunately. Voice Control comes for 'free' on Android platforms; but is quite complex to implement on other systems.
2. The hard disk will spin down after 15 minutes. We will make this configurable in the future. 
3. In the next update, it's possible from: CEC; most USB remotes; OSMC RF remote. If there's enough demand, we can also add standby support for LIRC based remotes.
4. Assuming you'd be pairing it as a Bluetooth device (gives the best performance) it would send uinput events, so Vero 4K would be able to listen for these events.

I hope this helps.
(2018-01-16, 20:41)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2018-01-16, 17:59)viperlogic Wrote: Currently a Nvidia Shield owner. Weighing up the pros and cons of Vero 4K, ATV 4K, and Minix U9.

1. Not at this time unfortunately. Voice Control comes for 'free' on Android platforms; but is quite complex to implement on other systems.
2. The hard disk will spin down after 15 minutes. We will make this configurable in the future. 
3. In the next update, it's possible from: CEC; most USB remotes; OSMC RF remote. If there's enough demand, we can also add standby support for LIRC based remotes.
4. Assuming you'd be pairing it as a Bluetooth device (gives the best performance) it would send uinput events, so Vero 4K would be able to listen for these events.

I hope this helps. 
Thx. Trigger pulled Smile
Thanks wrxtasy and Sam for the replies.
What I don't understand is how a ChromeBOX with a 1.4 GHz processor and 2GB of RAM runs Madnox perfectly but the C2 with a 1.5 GHz/2GB RAM or the Vero 4K with a 1.6 GHz/2GB RAM would struggle. Any science behind that?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4