• 12(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
(2018-01-17, 10:45)ArieS Wrote: Thanks wrxtasy and Sam for the replies.
What I don't understand is how a ChromeBOX with a 1.4 GHz processor and 2GB of RAM runs Madnox perfectly but the C2 with a 1.5 GHz/2GB RAM or the Vero 4K with a 1.6 GHz/2GB RAM would struggle. Any science behind that?

You can't compare frequency rates between ARM and Intel x86 processors. The Celeron 2955U in a Chromebox is a cut-down Core i3 - which is a massively more powerful processor in CPU terms than the ARM cores in the Amlogic S905X in the Vero 4K.

The science is that the CPU of the Core-based x86 processor is much more powerful (i.e. does a lot more computation in a cycle) than the core in the ARM SoC. Comparing clock rates (i.e. CPU frequencies) between different architectures, as a way of estimating performance, is pointless.

The S905X SoC in the Vero 4K has a much better VPU implementation for video decode (4K HEVC 10 bit at 60Hz) than the Celeron 2955U's (which I think maxes out at 4K AVC 8 bit at 30Hz), but the CPU in the Celeron is significantly more powerful.

So if your skin is CPU-intensive, you'll find x86 Core series (including Core-series Celeron like the 2955U) boxes do a far smoother job than an ARM-based box I suspect.

The penalty for this higher CPU performance is more heat generation, higher power draw etc.  (Compare the PSUs between the Chromebox and the Vero 4K, and the cooling requirements...)
The clue is in the name - the R in ARM is for RISC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I see, thanks for the explanation.
I guess I need to think about it...
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
If you ask on https://discourse.osmc.tv, someone will probably be happy to try the skin for you and report back how it performs.
(2018-01-18, 17:33)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: If you ask on https://discourse.osmc.tv, someone will probably be happy to try the skin for you and report back how it performs.
I did that, hopefully someone will...
Have someone used also a Xiaomi Bluetooth Remote Control beside original Vero 4K remote. Which one do you prefer?
The more I use this device, the more pleased I am with it's performance.  I've replaced a Nexus Player with this device and it's been a great ride.  Before when trying to watch HDHomeRUN WiFi streamed channels, the Nexus player would stutter or the video would play fine but I'd have no audio, not any longer with this device.  I haven't had one hiccup while watching live TV.

I used to have to use the Plex plugin with Kodi and set plex to transcode any movie I wanted to watch down to 4MB because the Google Nexus player wasn't picking up a strong enough WiFi signal.  No longer with this box, I've removed the Plex plugin from my Kodi menu because I can stream 4K movies without having to transcode!

I had to disable all "animated fanart and animated movie posters" on my chosen skin because trying to scroll through my movie collection would cause the Nexus player to "lock up".  Not any more!  This box hums along happily with every skin setting enabled!

Once Kodi 18 drops and we can finally get Netflix (and hopefully Amazon VOD?) this will be perfect.

If you're on the fence about buying one; don't be!
Netflix is already possible with Kodi v18 test builds. See https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-kodi...2-4k/23059

Sam
(2018-01-20, 04:35)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Netflix is already possible with Kodi v18 test builds. See https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-kodi...2-4k/23059

Sam
 I know.  You sent me a PM.  I knew you'd reply to that.  LoL  

Unfortunately HDHomeRUN app is not compatible with Kodi 18 test builds.  So if I gain one, I lose out on the other Wink
You can use HDHomerun via TVHeadend (can be installed via App Store); but understand if this is not ideal

Sam
Very happy with the device. Got it Saturday, had a bit of trouble with my LAN but that's my problem really as I'm running SMBv1. It's snappy, lets me run Aeon Nox SilVo, plays spotify and most 4k content that I encounter effortlessly, and my files look and sound great. Good support online too. I'll be recommending it.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2018-01-28, 18:26)smallclone Wrote: It's snappy, lets me run Aeon Nox SilVo
Is that a no go on Madnox?
(2018-01-28, 20:22)ArieS Wrote:
(2018-01-28, 18:26)smallclone Wrote: It's snappy, lets me run Aeon Nox SilVo
Is that a no go on Madnox? 
I tried to install MadNox once yesterday and it just hangs. It didn't install the zip. And doesn't show up as one of the available skins. That might be because I haven't got all the necessary scripts, but my feeling is that MadNox is not compatible with the Vero 4k. I then tried Aeon Nox Silvo....and it worked fine. I'm happy running silvo for the time being as the improvements made to it since I last checked it out are pretty awesome. I love Madnox and have used it exclusively for years but really, the Vero is too good a device to make the non-running of Madnox a dealbreaker in my opinion.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
If it works with Kodi it will work on the device; although I believe the performance is what is in contention here.
I believe someone else tried to use Madnox and couldn't get it to install on Vero 4K or Pi3 running OSMC. 

Sam
Still waiting on mine and will update with my findings when I do get it.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4