• 20(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
New device looks pretty good! Any benchmarks with the gigabit networking? Does it make a difference?
We have got consistently more than 900Mb in testing.
iperf will give you 940Mbps RX/TX, even under load.
When all cores are at full load, IRQs will be starved. This can drop you to 890Mbps. 

I've invited @wrxtasy  to evaluate the new device.

Cheers,

Sam
This is definitely great news! I'm quite hyped about the new vero device and eager to get one soon!

By the way, how's the performance with huge libraries? I've been keeping lots of anime and series to watch due to time constraints (work and wifey) Sad
(2018-07-27, 09:29)paulombsd Wrote: This is definitely great news! I'm quite hyped about the new vero device and eager to get one soon!

By the way, how's the performance with huge libraries? I've been keeping lots of anime and series to watch due to time constraints (work and wifey) Sad
 I've been building my ripped media library for a long time now and have over 1000 movies and over 100 TV series's in it
and my "old" model Vero 4K handles my library just fine using the Estuary skin, I don't know how heavier skins would behave with it.
(2018-07-27, 15:55)stammie Wrote:
(2018-07-27, 09:29)paulombsd Wrote: This is definitely great news! I'm quite hyped about the new vero device and eager to get one soon!

I've been building my ripped media library for a long time now and have over 1000 movies and over 100 TV series's in it
and my "old" model Vero 4K handles my library just fine using the Estuary skin, I don't know how heavier skins would behave with it. 
That's marvelous news! I'll get one later this year and try it out.
(2018-07-23, 10:02)graham-h Wrote:
(2018-06-12, 00:20)wesk05 Wrote: All Amlogic devices are limited to 16-bit output. An HDMI analyzer or a HDFury Vertex will show you the maximum word length (bit depth) set in the Channel Status Bits of the HDMI signal. 24-bit doesn't necessarily mean that the output is indeed 24-bit, but if these bits are set to 16-bit (max word length-20), then 24-bit output is completely ruled out and that is what you would see with Amlogic devices.

I have a post somewhere on LibreELEC forums on this topic. I recorded the HDMI output at 24-bit depth and then analyzed the real bit-depth of the output. It is only 16-bit for Amlogic devices.

Not true, actually. I can get Vero4k to output 24-bit LPCM. If there are problems interfacing with other equipment I'm sure OSMC can sort them out. 

Yes, indeed you can get 24-bit output from Amlogic SoCs with non-Android OS. The problem is incorrect word length in the channel status. Sinks that do not honor the channel status word length may process the signal as 24-bit.
(2018-07-29, 00:54)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-07-23, 10:02)graham-h Wrote:
(2018-06-12, 00:20)wesk05 Wrote: All Amlogic devices are limited to 16-bit output. An HDMI analyzer or a HDFury Vertex will show you the maximum word length (bit depth) set in the Channel Status Bits of the HDMI signal. 24-bit doesn't necessarily mean that the output is indeed 24-bit, but if these bits are set to 16-bit (max word length-20), then 24-bit output is completely ruled out and that is what you would see with Amlogic devices.

I have a post somewhere on LibreELEC forums on this topic. I recorded the HDMI output at 24-bit depth and then analyzed the real bit-depth of the output. It is only 16-bit for Amlogic devices.

Not true, actually. I can get Vero4k to output 24-bit LPCM. If there are problems interfacing with other equipment I'm sure OSMC can sort them out.   

Yes, indeed you can get 24-bit output from Amlogic SoCs with non-Android OS. The problem is incorrect word length in the channel status. Sinks that do not honor the channel status word length may process the signal as 24-bit.  

So does this mean AMLogic SoCs can output 24bit PCM audio over HDMI, but it isn't correctly flagged in the stream channel status as 24 bit ?.

Therefore ff a sink (like an AVR) looks at the raw audio data - it will see 24 bit audio and play it fine? If the sink looks at the accompanying channels status data it will see 16 bit audio and treat it as such?

Is this also possibly also related to the issue some AVRs have with DTD MA HRA streams?
(2018-07-29, 15:01)noggin Wrote:   
So does this mean AMLogic SoCs can output 24bit PCM audio over HDMI, but it isn't correctly flagged in the stream channel status as 24 bit ?.

It seems so, but I'm not familiar with the Android code. OSMC update this week will properly flag the bit-depth.
Quote:Therefore ff a sink (like an AVR) looks at the raw audio data - it will see 24 bit audio and play it fine? If the sink looks at the accompanying channels status data it will see 16 bit audio and treat it as such?

Yes, so the bottom 8 bits get thrown away - no biggie.
Quote:Is this also possibly also related to the issue some AVRs have with DTD MA HRA streams? 

No.
(2018-07-29, 15:10)graham-h Wrote: Yes, so the bottom 8 bits get thrown away - no biggie.
For sample values that are well within the 16-bit quantization range.

(2018-07-29, 15:01)noggin Wrote: Is this also possibly also related to the issue some AVRs have with DTD MA HRA streams? 
There are DTS bitstream changes. - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2742120
Since i got my LG OLED I have been looking to change my old HTPC to something that supports the new formats. Had been looking at both the MI box and the Vero. Fast forward a month and now both have new incarnations. I jumped on the introductory offer for the vero4K+, but I still feel that we need a couple of iterations of boxes and software before we are "there".
(2018-07-30, 07:53)Lasborg Wrote: Since i got my LG OLED I have been looking to change my old HTPC to something that supports the new formats. Had been looking at both the MI box and the Vero. Fast forward a month and now both have new incarnations. I jumped on the introductory offer for the vero4K+, but I still feel that we need a couple of iterations of boxes and software before we are "there".
 We will never be "there" while the content providers continue their arms race of ever higher 'specs'.  And that's not going to change anytime soon.
(2018-07-30, 09:46)graham-h Wrote:
(2018-07-30, 07:53)Lasborg Wrote: Since i got my LG OLED I have been looking to change my old HTPC to something that supports the new formats. Had been looking at both the MI box and the Vero. Fast forward a month and now both have new incarnations. I jumped on the introductory offer for the vero4K+, but I still feel that we need a couple of iterations of boxes and software before we are "there".
 We will never be "there" while the content providers continue their arms race of ever higher 'specs'.  And that's not going to change anytime soon. 
Absolutely after 4K comes 8K and so forth. But we still have not reached the "perfect" 4K HDR box neither hardware or OS.
Any ideas for a VESA mount so this can go on the back on the TV?
Does the Vero4K+ come with an external IR receiver like the old one? it does not show as "in the box" on the page.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4