v18 [Bug] Audio gap when resuming a paused video Kodi 17 and 18
@Dangelus So, are you going to fix this issue or complain about some add-ons?. I just installed Kodi 20 Beta-1, same issue. If you guys do not know how to fixit, just say it. PLEX, EMBY and others play just fine, just KODI.
EndeavourOS, Arch Linux
Linux Mint 21.3 (Edge) "Virginia", Cinnamon DE
NVIDIA Shield Pro,  NAS,  Fractal Design Define R5 Case
Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD "pfSense Plus" Firewall/Router
(2022-11-12, 12:48)andrzejls Wrote: @Dangelus So, are you going to fix this issue or complain about some add-ons?. I just installed Kodi 20 Beta-1, same issue. If you guys do not know how to fixit, just say it. PLEX, EMBY and others play just fine, just KODI.

The first thing that needs fixing is going to be your attitude and how you conduct yourself on this forum. If you think this is the place to come and make demands then you are mistaken. On this forum we speak in a civil and respectful tone. If that's not for you then there are other areas on the Internet you can keep complaining. 

My role here is moderate the forum and uphold the rules. You have submitted an erroneous log and fixed it as instructed. If it shows something and we have developers interested in taking a look then they will. If it doesn't or nobody has a time then it is what it is.

The Kodi project is Open Source so anybody on the planet is able to submit fixes for consideration. We are not a commercial project and developers work on the project for free in their spare time. Kodi is not a service you pay for and therefore you should not have any expectations of the project, you have no entitlement here. You are free to choose a different project to suit your needs.

Looking back at this old thread I can see maybe a handful of users reporting this issue mostly just in passing (no logs or data backing it up) and it has not been pinpointed as to what the cause is. If it had been then it could be addressed by now.

If it was such a huge issue we would be getting hundreds of reports as we have quite a large user base. I have use Kodi on multiple devices and platforms for nearly 2 decades and never had this problem.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I get the message. No point to continue this conversation.
Have a good day, sir.
EndeavourOS, Arch Linux
(2022-11-12, 10:38)andrzejls Wrote: Kodi developers think that there is no problem or is not important enough for them to fix it. One of them here was telling me that there is no such problem at all.
Hmm. That surprises me. I can totally confirm that the issue exists (and annoys me seriously).

For me it was present since I don't know when, a long time. I just recently tested it again with 19.4 on various systems. Laptop with builtin sound, Desktop with USB soundcard, Nvidia Shield with home cinema on HDMI. The PCs I tried with pulseaudio, pipewire-pulse and alsa directly. Everywhere the issue is present.

So I quite wonder how one anyone can not see the issue. Instead of asking on what kind of system the problem appears, the more interesting question is probably on what kind of system it does not.
(2022-11-15, 17:38)omgold Wrote:
(2022-11-12, 10:38)andrzejls Wrote: Kodi developers think that there is no problem or is not important enough for them to fix it. One of them here was telling me that there is no such problem at all.
Hmm. That surprises me. I can totally confirm that the issue exists (and annoys me seriously).

For me it was present since I don't know when, a long time. I just recently tested it again with 19.4 on various systems. Laptop with builtin sound, Desktop with USB soundcard, Nvidia Shield with home cinema on HDMI. The PCs I tried with pulseaudio, pipewire-pulse and alsa directly. Everywhere the issue is present.

So I quite wonder how one anyone can not see the issue. Instead of asking on what kind of system the problem appears, the more interesting question is probably on what kind of system it does not.
Well, apparently like me, it is just a figment of your imagination and if you do not like it you can use some other streaming software. I complained about it and got 20% warning level as a "reward".
EndeavourOS, Arch Linux
(2022-11-15, 22:12)andrzejls Wrote:
(2022-11-15, 17:38)omgold Wrote:

Well, apparently like me, it is just a figment of your imagination and if you do not like it you can use some other streaming software. I complained about it and got 20% warning level as a "reward".

1) Please reread my response post #47 in the thread and you can refresh your memory as to why you received a warning. From the above statement you don’t seem to be accurately recalling the real reason. The good news is that the warning will expire if civility is maintained in your discourse on this forum. 

2) I did not say the issue was not real I said in my usage I have never noticed the issue and merely stated that with the size of our user base it cannot be that much of an issue if only a handful of people are reporting it, not several hundreds. Either that or it is a minority of users that are more sensitive to the issue perhaps?

3) In the 5 years this thread has existed only you @andrzejls have submitted a log in an attempt to identify the bug. And that was only a couple of weeks ago. No one has looked at it yet probably because they haven’t had time for the reasons I have already stated.
I can only assume people haven't bothered to read the whole thread as the issue was aknowledged in the posts by FernetMenta. He says fixing this not trival and he is in best position to know as he design and implemented the entire audio system, however he is no longer part of the team and as a free app with volunteer devs it most likely we simply don't have anyone with the required knowledge and time. One of the issues I believe is that we use keyframes to reliable maintain sync between video & audio, so because GUI might be open with GUI sounds while paused audio buffer is flush when we unpause, so the delay is in waiting for the next keyframe to come along to restart audio to ensure sync with the video.
In case you don't know what keyframes are see https://blog.video.ibm.com/streaming-vid...ompression

There is no standard keyframe interval, so whether you notice this will depend on the videos you are watching and how they were encoded. I noticed it very occassionaliy but doesn't personally bother me as it's usually less than a second and never more than 2 sec.

Note this is merely my understanding from internal discussions, however this is not my area of expertise so there's always the possibility I may have understood wrong.
(2022-11-16, 12:09)jjd-uk Wrote: I can only assume people haven't bothered to read the whole thread as the issue was aknowledged in the posts by FernetMenta. He says fixing this not trival and he is in best position to know as he design and implemented the entire audio system, however he is no longer part of the team and as a free app with volunteer devs it most likely we simply don't have anyone with the required knowledge and time. One of the issues I believe is that we use keyframes to reliable maintain sync between video & audio, so because GUI might be open with GUI sounds while paused audio buffer is flush when we unpause, so the delay is in waiting for the next keyframe to come along to restart audio to ensure sync with the video.
Thanks for you taking time to shed some light and detailed explanation of the reasons and complexity of this problem/issue. Now we have a better understanding of the issue and challenge in resolving it. In my case that was, exactly, what I was looking for. I hope that in some near future Team-Kodi will be able to correct this. Thanks again.
EndeavourOS, Arch Linux
FernetMenta is very clever with a deep understanding of these things, so if it's non trival for him then it's going to be extremely difficult to solve while being able to 100% guarentee video/audio sync at all times. As he said, not impossible but obviously requires someone highly skilled with the time avaiable to solved it.
(2022-11-16, 16:00)jjd-uk Wrote: FernetMenta is very clever with a deep understanding of these things, so if it's non trival for him then it's going to be extremely difficult to solve while being able to 100% guarentee video/audio sync at all times. As he said, not impossible but obviously requires someone highly skilled with the time avaiable to solved it.
Once again, thanks for update.
EndeavourOS, Arch Linux
Quote:2) I did not say the issue was not real I said in my usage I have never noticed the issue and merely stated that with the size of our user base it cannot be that much of an issue if only a handful of people are reporting it, not several hundreds. Either that or it is a minority of users that are more sensitive to the issue perhaps?
Well, I cannot say how others perceive it, but to me it is very obvious. Just pause a dialogue scene in mid-sentence and continue. Then there will be a couple of spoken words missing. I usually rewind 10s in that case, but of course one gets another 2s pause plus 8s 'replayed' audio.

What the reason is, why Kodi does that, no idea. The only thing that comes to mind is when one does passthrough of AC3 audio to a home theater receiver one typically gets similar kinds of pauses. The Shield is very nice in that respect, though, there is a switch to 'decode AC3' (or whatever it was called), and that matter disappears for all other video apps I use (Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Crunchyroll, Youtube, ...). Other players on PC (like mplayer, mpv, whatever) also don't create gaps (when feeding it to typical analog stereo outputs).

So I get the impression that it can't be that complicated in general to avoid the gaps and Kodi doesn't something quite unusual. I can't comment, though, about how difficult it is to fix, given the implemention in Kodi as currently is. I would have to believe that it is complicated when someone knowledgeable says so, but the reasons must be quite Kodi-specific.
As other team members have stated, a developer with an advanced technical background has offered an explanation in the history of this thread and said that it is not a trivial fix.

This is the current state of play. Of course, we would be delighted if somebody could identify exactly what is happening, solve the issue and offer a PR to the project.
(2017-03-20, 16:33)quayrd Wrote: Any resolution or workarounds to this? I don't mind a replay button workaround (addon or some other configuration) too. I constantly have to fiddle with the rewind button to catch up on missed audio after a pause/resume.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to a replay button mapping configuration with instructions on ATV4/MacOS/iOS. I am new to advanced Kodi config.

Thank you

To resolve the audio issue when using the rewind button in Kodi on ATV4/MacOS/iOS, consider using a replay button workaround. Search for addons or follow guides online for configuring the replay button mapping in Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Bug] Audio gap when resuming a paused video Kodi 17 and 180