v17 Storing SQL Database on Synology NAS-DSM 6.1
Hi All,

Hardware/Firmware in system:
Synology NAS DS1812+ running DSM 6.1 with Music & Video files on it and MariaDB v5.5.53.0073 with PHPMyAdmin
Several Android 6.0.1 Boxes running Kodi v17.0 final (stripped of all "add-ons")

1. I have been running the Android boxes for several months, from the NAS using NFS shares, with no issues.

2. Next step was to put the SQL media databases on the NAS, rather than each box, with NO other changes.

3. Followed the excellent procedures on here, and You-Tube on how to do it, BUT noted that they were all for older version of Kodi & DSM firmware...

4. Before I loaded the Advancedsetting.XML file on a Kodi Client, I cleared its database, then copied the XML file.

5. When I first ran "Update Database" from the Kodi Client, the 2 data-bases were created in MariaDB, with apparently all the fields etc, but were empty. Repeated attempts at running the update ended after 2 seconds.. with no change to the database... and NO errors. So I appear to have set everything up correctly, it just can't update the database?

6. In an attempt to fault-find the issue, I entered the NAS address & port 3306 in a web browser, (to see MariaBD's reply) and immediately got a file download .. called "download".. its contents was:

R 5.5.53-MariaDB @ :Z7B(>Ah ÿ÷!   lb*E`1rlFXi( mysql_native_password ! ÿ„#08S01Got packets out of order

Which for a blank log-in looks strange?

Any suggestions as to where I should look next?

Thanks... Andrew
Hey gandalf99,

Your setup is very similar to mine so I'll try and help as much as I can.

The version of kodi in the guide on the wiki doesn't matter and to be honest neither really does the version of dsm as you've already discovered that you need to use mariadb now and not mySQL (actually I've just checked the wiki to refresh my memory and it's ALL changed since I last looked there...)

The download file when you connect to IP:3306 is normal and nothing to worry about.

The first thing to ensure is correct is the user you set up for kodi access has all of the correct rights granted. If you log in as root via phpMYAdmin you can check this by clicking on Users at the top of the page and then clicking on "Edit Privileges" for the user you created.

Everything under "Data" and "Structure" should be ticked and everything EXCEPT GRANT should be ticked under "Administration"

I would try that before anything else as if that's not correct then nothing else will work.
Thanks Mnementh,

I had given the Kodi user FULL access with every box ticked.. Unfortunately removing the "Administration" / GRANT tick .. didn't change the problem..

I also side-loaded Kodi 17.1 RC, in case there was a bug ... but still won't index the files...

Andrew
Next thing to make sure of is that you've added the sources correctly in Kodi.

SQL will only update from units with the sources configured properly.

Can you also copy in your advancedsettings.xml obviously remove the password if you wish
Thanks,

As I have been watching movies for several moths via NFS mounts, I had assumed that was OK.. When I sideloaded 17.1 I had un-installed 17, so had to re-setup the sources, and again I can still browse and view any video I want through the Files menu... Seem to be OK to me .. How else can I check the sources are correct?

Advanced settings as below... I am stumped, if this file allowed the 2 Databases to be created.. then why can't Kodi then write to them?

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.61</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>kodi</user>
<pass>xxxxx</pass>
<name>kodi_video</name>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.61</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>kodi</user>
<pass>xxxxx</pass>
<name>kodi_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>
Did you add your sources before or after you put the advancedsettings.xml in?

I've had one instance in the past (when setting up a firestick for my mother to use in her living room and her bedroom) where I could not get it to update the DB with the already configured sources. I had to delete the database from the NAS, remove the advancedsettings.xml, restart kodi and remove the sources then Clean the library, exit kodi and re-add the advancedsettings.xml and the restart kodi and add the sources again.

Cleaning the library did the trick in this instance I'd tried the same steps numerous times before with no joy.

The only issues I've had with my own SQL setups have been down to incorrect privileges.
Thank you for this advice! Last night, I tried getting a kodi 17.3 install migrated to a new ds416play running DSM 6, with MariaDB 10 installed. Needless to say, no dice. I read this, tried MariaDB 5, removed sources, VIOLA. Thank you so much!
Just so that others with the same problem can solve this Update Database issue:

MariaDB 10 uses port 3307, MariaDB 5 uses port 3306.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storing SQL Database on Synology NAS-DSM 6.10