• 15(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
I purchased a U9 and was very disappointed.

Currently on eBay as I have upgraded to Nvidia Shield TV 2017.
(2018-03-07, 20:44)atilaks Wrote: great, thank you

Edit:

@sw4y
Have you maybe already switched to S905x? Or did you change your mind regarding returning Minix U9?

I ordered a S905x and wait till it get‘s delivered.
Actually I‘m Running Kszaqs latest stable build on the U9 and it works pretty good.

Maybe I‘ll stay with the U9.
Thanks. I got U9 too, but I am undecided whether to keep it or return it. I experience infamous stuttering and frame drops when external subtitles are used. Funny thing - everything is ok when playerdebug info is shown (ctrl+shift+o). Did you maybe notice stuttering?
Yes - stuttering is a known problem, when subtitles (not hardcoded) are used. I guess even S905 boxes suffer from that.
Now that you mention it, I've checked again and realized that maybe I was not totally correct. U9 with 8.2.2.3 kszaq's Krypton stutters with subtitles marked as TemporarySubs (External). Stuttering happens on subtitle show/hide. The same video plays fine on C2 with wrxtasy's latest Krypton. I saw a dedicated thread about it on Libreelec's forum.

And as soon as I watch with playerdebug enabled the stuttering is gone Smile

Edit:
When I watch mkv with embedded subtitles, srt cause stuttering when pgs (bitmap) are ok.
(2018-03-13, 19:59)atilaks Wrote: Thanks. I got U9 too, but I am undecided whether to keep it or return it. I experience infamous stuttering and frame drops when external subtitles are used. Funny thing - everything is ok when playerdebug info is shown (ctrl+shift+o). Did you maybe notice stuttering?
Just a question - if you are watching video content normally with Subtitles on. Apart from the slight video hiccup when they appear the very first time upon activation are you visually seeing continual video frame upsets ?
This is all without the player debug info window showing and hidden.

Reason I ask is I am finding it hard to see any video playback and subtitle problems when watching video playback with LE on the U9 with embedded subtitles. So much so that I've never even attached a keyboard or even done a CTRL+SHIFT+O

Maybe my TV's 24p motion interpolation/smoothing disguises whatever the problem may be. Dunno.

Yes, the problem is visually noticeable for me for the whole time. Doesn't matter whether I start watching 3mins or just before the test scene. My eyes do not register stuttering for every subtitle line. It usually happens in some, but always the same scenes, usually with some movements. Maybe I am just more sensitive to it now, when I know it is there Smile

I tried on both LG Oled 4k and an old Sony FHD TV with the same results. I usually switch all motion processing off.

Playback on C2 or with playerdebug enabled is super smooth.
I'm using the newer (Leia) AML Linux Kernel with the S912 U9 running LE Kodi Krypton that also has slightly updated Mali GPU drivers as well.
All detailed in this LE POST (click)

Also with that newer Kernel you can also Overclock the GPU:
Code:
echo 2 > /sys/class/mpgpu/scale_mode

Current GPU clock frequency:
Code:
cat /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

The excellent heatsink on the U9 can easily handle any overclocking generated heat. Other S912 boxes with tiny little heatsinks may not be so fortunate.

It may be why I'm not visually picking up continuous subtitle video playback frame upsets.

For some unknown reason I cannot get your latest Krypton 422 image for S912 to work. I tried to boot from USB and internal with the newest dtb file from 8.2.2.3 and 8.90.5 threads on libreelec's forum. Boot process hangs on minix logo. Could you maybe prepare and upload an img file?
Can you try alternate device trees, found in THIS Folder (click) ?

This is the full Chroma 422 .img (click)

BTW: I've just tested with CTRL-Shift-O and I'm not seeing dropped frames with embedded subtitles during video playback and 1080i h264 deinterlaced TV is smooth.
I never use USB sticks, ever for LibreELEC.

Thanks, I will try. It all makes sense now. I didn't understand there is a device_tree directory embedded in your previous .img.gz.

Could you maybe tell me one more thing?
Quote:I never recommend Installing to Internal anyway, the risks are too high for Newbies. Better to copy LE data partition and just use the USB stick/SD card for LE device bootup.
What are the risks of installing to internal? I did it with kszaq's 8.2.2.3 and as I understand there are some differences in partition layout between LE8 and LE9. But what are the worst case consequences? Recovery partition being lost? Bricked device? Can we use a bootloader to flash partitions (like in fastboot for android phones)?
Risks, on the U9 if things go badly wrong you will loose HDCP 1.x and those Keys will be unrecoverable.
I take no responsibility for such internal installs.

Bricked devices very likely have to use MINIX's latest Android FW .img and their own USB burning tool to recover.

Thank you for your help. It works fine now with a dtb from new_device_trees zip. For some reason there is a difference between the one from kszaq's repository https://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s912/8.2/devi..._Ethernet/

1bcb0c76ebc3a267922008b4122a0061  gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb (44K)

and the one in new_device_trees.zip

987ad28e280b1ed001a0cf371d0b2a83  gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb (45K)

Could you maybe point me in the right direction or tell me how to restore android without the risk of loosing HDCP?
Good news then...

Try this first...
Tutorial - how to recover / unbrick the U9 (click)

Otherwise you will need to do a full MINIX U9 .img reflash with the MINIX supplied USB flashing tool:
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-u9...020.17920/

@wrxtasy what's the best Leia LibreElec stable version?

I have a problem with overscan when display auto switches to 1080p/24 from 1080p/60

Thanks
Image Image
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6