• 7(current)
Xbox One Discussion
Installed from store on Xbox One X.

Sharing: SFTP sharing not working (tested with FileZilla and ssh server works), NFS works, SMB option is missing.
Control interface not working on port 8080, at least, cannot use Kore or anything else.

Kodi fails to signal the system for being busy, the screen dims from time to time.
Occasional crashes, most of the times while browsing settings.

Tested bluray remux with DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound, working fine.

I have to say, for an alpha version it's not bad, it's quite a decent start to have it working on the platform already.
(2017-12-29, 11:40)Martijn Wrote: Perhaps because it's not completely finished yet. Accept what it currently is or come back in a few months.
 No problem for me and I perfectly get that. But there's a difference between "it's not there yet" and "it's impossible to have it due to uwp limitation". Thanks for confirming that it can have smb somewhere in the future. Case closed Wink
(2017-12-29, 11:58)Mr Eric Wrote:
(2017-12-29, 11:40)Martijn Wrote: Perhaps because it's not completely finished yet. Accept what it currently is or come back in a few months.
 No problem for me and I perfectly get that. But there's a difference between "it's not there yet" and "it's impossible to have it due to uwp limitation". Thanks for confirming that it can have smb somewhere in the future. Case closed Wink 
No problem for me, so i'll wait Smile
I noticed that my maximum output resolution only goes up to 1080p on my Xbox One S connected to a 4K display.  When a 4k file plays though, it looks great and is smooth (elysium-2013-2160p-1-minute-sample-footage sample file)

i realise we're logging faults and bugs in here and it sounds like it's upsetting the devs, that is not at all our intention and we're not "whinging", if you would like us to submit bugs in a different manner then please say and Im confident most will oblige.
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
Amazing to see Kodi on Xbox after all these years (being an OG Xbox/XBMC user), a huge thank you to all those who put in the hard work.

I tried out a bunch of stuff and it works really well even for an alpha.

A point of interest some of the team may or may not be aware of, IGN (of all places) recently did some digging and found that Xbox UWP actually supports 24Hz refresh rate switching, it seems nobody ever bothered to actually use it (in terms of streaming apps). They even crafted a demo app using big buck bunny to prove it works.

MS is killing off Homegroups for those few who remember it (an alternate UI built over SMB), from the sounds of it there is going to be some kind of replacement were you can possibly access network shares simply via your MS login, it's whats called the "Easier Connection" in the piece, currently in Win10 Insider builds, maybe Xbox will get it too and it would make accessing Windows shares a lot easier. I've noticed Xbox actually now has an Explorer file management app on it too.

The B button on Xbox controller in UI and apps always works as the back or stop playback option, Kodi of course does things differently here with the video playing in background and bringing up the UI overlay, this is something I personally have always changed via modding keymaps on any platform I have used Kodi on but is this possible on Xbox version, maybe not ?

If it's possible down the road could there could be an Xbox controller button remap add-on included in the Xbox build or a basic toggle so the B button works as stop/back, that would make it more in line with the way the other Xbox apps work.

Anyway thanks again for this.
Of course we want to know the issues and crashes (these will actually get through the Windows Store including crashlogs) however we are fully aware of certain missing parts and do not need to be reminded of that again and again.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
does the alpha build play UHD HDR files?that's the main use evennthough i have other boxes i'd love to have my Xbox One X as the main media player, also need SMB but i guess this should come soon
(2017-12-29, 12:47)wapvi Wrote: does the alpha build play UHD HDR files?that's the main use evennthough i have other boxes i'd love to have my Xbox One X as the main media player, also need SMB but i guess this should come soon
 in my experience it plays a UHD file (unsure if it's HDR) but doesn't output in 4K, which i'm pretty sure the dev team are aware of.

This is the most exciting thing to happen to Kodi in 5+ years for me
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
(2017-12-29, 11:35)knank Wrote: So why with VLC UWP i can see my SMB files?

VLC uses it's own libdsm library, it supports SMB1 only.

edit: It doesn't mean that Kodi will never support SMB on xbox, it means that we want to implement suppporting of modern protocols but it may take some time to implement.
(2017-12-29, 12:25)Starstream Wrote: A point of interest some of the team may or may not be aware of, IGN (of all places) recently did some digging and found that Xbox UWP actually supports 24Hz refresh rate switching, it seems nobody ever bothered to actually use it (in terms of streaming apps). They even crafted a demo app using big buck bunny to prove it works.
Thanks for pinting us to this article. Currenlty we can't use mode switching because it's available on 10.0.15063 SDK (Creators update) only, we are using currenlty 10.0.14393 (Aniversary Update). Moving to new SDK may take a time to rebuild all dependencies and may cause some issues.
(2017-12-29, 12:35)Martijn Wrote: Of course we want to know the issues and crashes (these will actually get through the Windows Store including crashlogs) however we are fully aware of certain missing parts and do not need to be reminded of that again and again.
 Thanks. Can you tell us what we should expect or not with this version, or point to some changelog, so we can all avoid to report bugs you already know about (I guess that for example you are already aware about the upnp  crashing) or tell us what you would like us to test ?
Very exciting stuff, will enable NFS on my NAS when I get home to give it a try.  I was holding off buying a 2nd Shield to replace my aging FireStick because I knew Xbox support was coming, just didn't know when.  Is there going to be an Xbox sub-forum under General Support or do you want the conversation to take place under Windows?  Maybe there needs to be a UWP forum instead to avoid confusion with the other Windows builds.
Great news ! I hope SMB support will come soon Smile
(2017-12-29, 13:16)cable_guy Wrote:
(2017-12-29, 12:47)wapvi Wrote: does the alpha build play UHD HDR files?that's the main use evennthough i have other boxes i'd love to have my Xbox One X as the main media player, also need SMB but i guess this should come soon
 in my experience it plays a UHD file (unsure if it's HDR) but doesn't output in 4K, which i'm pretty sure the dev team are aware of.

This is the most exciting thing to happen to Kodi in 5+ years for me

Are u using the X? My 1080p files 20gb-30gb play fine, but everythin 4k, the 4k planet earth II episodes, 4K HDR 50-80 gb movies shuter every 3 seconds, im playing them via NFS and 100mb ethernet which ik can be a botleneck, but whit this exact setup atleats the planet earth episodes play perfectly fine on my sony android tv ( crappy mediatek procesor, 100 ethernet and from smb). Should this be a problem of raw power of standard xbox one?
That is really good news at the end of 2017!

Off course I immediately tested it on my XBox One X. I created two NFS shares for the video folders on my Synology NAS and could play a few MKV and TS full HD video files. They played fine and subtitling selection also works. Smile Audio Pass-trough didn't work (as already indicated in the announcement). So I set audio downmix to 2.0. This is initially not a problem because my XBox One X is currently directly connected to my LG UHD OLED TV and audio is routed via optical cable to my Emotiva XMC-1 Surround Processor. I need to wait until the new HDMI V3 board of Emotiva is available (hopefully soon) before l can directly connect the XBox One X to my surround processor.

I also tested the MediaPortal PVR add-on to connect to my TV recording server. Apart from Live TV streaming everything seems to work. So I can see EPG and record TV programs. Playing back recorded TV programs also works.

And the final, most important, test is: Playing back UHD movies encoded with HEVC... I use a HD directly connected to my LG TV to play back these files. All the rest of my media files I can play on my current Kodi player (Intel NUC running LibreElec).
Unfortunately this fails. The XBox One X even shuts down. Sad

These are the file video / audio specs:VIDEO
CODEC : HEVC
TYPE : 2160p (Progressive)
FRAME RATE : 23.976 fps
DISPLAY ASPECT RATIO : 16:9
FORMAT PROFILE LEVEL : Main [email protected]@high
BITRATE : 56.5 Mbps
WIDTH x HEIGHT : 3840 x 2160 pixels
COLOR PRIMARIES : BT.2020

AUDIO (1)
CODEC : TrueHD Atmos
LANGUAGE : English
CHANNEL(S) : 7.1
BITRATE : 4084 kbps
SAMPLING RATE : 48 KHz
BIT DEPTH : 24 bits

AUDIO (2)
CODEC : AC-3
LANGUAGE : English
CHANNEL(S) : 5.1-EX
BITRATE : 640 kbps
SAMPLING RATE : 48 KHz
OTHER INFO : AC3 Embedded
Already a great achievement!  I'll keep a close watch for new updates and test the above again.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One Discussion6