• 1(current)
Xbox One Discussion
Question 
I have seen all over the web that you guys told that you will create a version of kodi to the Windows store on Xbox.
But i have looked everywhere for an official statement to confirm that rumor? Tried to look on forum but it seems like my brain cant find anything about it.
I just want to see some official statement that you will make it or will not make it. Since im gonna buy an Xbox as soon i see that Smile

Im not asking to know a release date. Just if it will come there eventually Tongue
Im sorry if you posted it somewhere and im to retarded to find it. But maybe someone could help Big Grin

Best and kindest regards / confused player
We haven't made an official statement ourselves, because we are extremely risk adverse and hate to make promises we can't keep. What we can say is that development is definitely being done on a UWP version of Kodi following the successful launch of the version of Kodi for the Windows store. From here, there are two barriers to actually making it on the Xbox. First, we may not successfully create a UWP version. This seems unlikely, as from what I understand things are going well, but who knows. Second, even if we do, it might not be accepted into the Xbox store. Since we have no actual control on that front, that's something we really, really don't know. But yeah, it's definitely being worked on.

On a sidenote, the rumor itself came from the guys at Microsoft. And it wasn't so much a rumor as an entire press briefing. Smile I think that's a fairly reliable source, personally.
Thanks for the great explanation! I totally understand you on that. And i sooo hope everything will go well and that it get accepted to the store Smile

Haha yeah the rumor came from them, but you guys are the ones that make the magic happens. Without you guys = nothing <3
Thats why i had to ask here. Thanks once more for your time to answer!
That would be great, I just got an Xbox one S so i can play 4K movies. so adding kodi to it would be fantastic Smile
I feel like Kodi would be not allowed on the Xbox platform due to Kodi's addon feature. Because of that I think MrMC would be a better candidate.
If Kodi UWP does come to Xbox then Microsoft has a sale right here. I would even take a punt on it just to be part of an alpha/beta testing team should such a position become open.

I would hope it would be the fully featured Kodi as per the current Windows 10 application because as nice as MrMC is on my Apple TV it has a very limited selection of skins built in and I like to flick between Arctic Zephyr and Sualfred's FTV mod.
Hmm, interesting.

Currently i use PS3 and PlayTV for my OTA DTV recording duties (since the houshold were familiar with such and didn't like change or the XBMC handling DTV duties).
Regardless, i was briefly consideringg an Xbox One S due to the included 4K UBD player.
Frustratingly i couldn't get over the fact MS dumped OTA DTV EPG recording using their own MS DTV tuner accessory (seemingly in favour of their video streaming services).

So if Kodi will be made available on the Windows Store, is it concievable that Kodi will also support multiple USB tuners and EPG record features as is the current state of play?

If that's the case, my noisy PS3 and PlayTV combo could be retired for a new XBox One S and a treo of USB DTV accessories (if indeed three HD DTV streams can be recorder simultaneously) and my RPi3 can be moved out of the living room.

Mind you, that's dependant on the assumption that XBox One S will ignore cinavia on an audio stream being simply passed through to my amp from the Kodi app, otherwise it's a deal breaker for me if MS enforce such DRM crap Confused

PS: i only rip my own DVD's and BD's for convieniance (in not having to get off the couch to insert a disk into a player) and for keeping the original disk safe from damage due to rough handling Nod
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2017-03-01, 16:35)skylarking Wrote: So if Kodi will be made available on the Windows Store, is it concievable that Kodi will also support multiple USB tuners and EPG record features as is the current state of play?

The current plan is for Kodi 17 for UWP to have exactly the same features as Kodi 17 for anything else. That includes our current PVR system. I'm hesitant to say Kodi will have the support you are talking about though, because technically Kodi doesn't support any USB tuners at all. Instead, you have to have a middleman PVR system like HDHomerun or TVHeadend or something which supports usb tuners, and then Kodi gets its stuff from them.
I really hope you guys can successfully make a UWP app and get it approved for xbox one.

If you do tho will it have custom plugin support or do you think that microsoft won't want that on the xbox/deny UWP approval because of the feature
your question was answered in the post directly above yours
(2017-03-01, 21:49)natethomas Wrote: The current plan is for Kodi 17 for UWP to have exactly the same features as Kodi 17 for anything else. That includes our current PVR system. I'm hesitant to say Kodi will have the support you are talking about though, because technically Kodi doesn't support any USB tuners at all. Instead, you have to have a middleman PVR system like HDHomerun or TVHeadend or something which supports usb tuners, and then Kodi gets its stuff from them.
Thanks for the heads up Nate Big Grin

Having seen an old posts regarding a TVHeadend client side UWP gives me slim hope.
Sadly, in my very brief googling, i haven't found anything regarding TVHeadend server side UWP or indeed any windows based TVHeadend sever..
Guess it's been so long since i last played with TVHeadend, i can't even remember if i dabled with such on linux or windows Confused

I just hope a normal windows version of TVHeadend server side actually exists Big Grin
Further, if TVHedend server can get access to needed API's on XBox One S, i guess it should be easier to push out UWP version.
But if no windows server side TVHeadend exists, i suspect i'm SOL Sad
One of the nice things about Kodi is that you can run your tv server from any machine and then you can just pull it from Kodi. Here's a list of different servers we support from different platforms. http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software
What interests me is legal Sky Tv integration into Kodi on the Xbox... of sorts

Kodi `could` conceivably have a Sky Tv Style EPG on the Xbox and as the Xbox has the ability to control other devices via IR, Kodi could allow us some small LEGAL integration.

I am not interested in feeding Sky into a Pc and ripping off Sky Tv just the ability to have one less remote control to loose, at the moment 3 remotes are doing the work, a PC remote, a Tv remote and a Sky remote... no big deal but really, it is the 21st century and Kodi 17 blows the excellent and stable Sky software out of the water

If i could just control and watch my sky box from within Kodi then that would solve 8 years of reading and apart from a brief swarray into RF PC integration, failing to integrate Sky into Windows Media Center and now Kodi

and one more thing of note... Kodi... Xbox !! has anyone got a clue as to the gravity of that ? as much as i would like it i cant honestly see MS allowing Kodi as a direct port onto its box
(2017-03-02, 22:16)natethomas Wrote: One of the nice things about Kodi is that you can run your tv server from any machine and then you can just pull it from Kodi. Here's a list of different servers we support from different platforms. http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software
Yeah, Kodi is nice for a multitude of reasons.
I was hoping to consolidate a number of boxes down to one (x)box meaning i need UWP versions of TV server, TV client & Kodi itself all running on Xbox One S.
It would be icing on the cake if Kodi could also call up the XBox UBD player itself for viewing UHD bluray polycarbonates...

For TV server, maybe NextPVR server is the way to go on Xbox One S but i couldn't find a UWP application within the MS Store.

In fact i couldn't find any server side UWP application that would run on XBox Sad
Could be a work in progress which may take a while to see all the needed ducks in a row.

So i'd guess at this stage, i'll need to stage the update by using my RPi as a headless TV server Nod

Now it's just to find a way to accept a white box in my living room (why didn't MS also make a black S available i don't know).

Thanks for the info nate.
Does OneGuide have any kind of API or support to be controlled by other applications? Im thinking probably not, but if so, integrating it into the live tv portion of kodi would be amazing, using Kodi to view the a guide (fed to it by Xbox One) and then change channels on any supported receiver (using Kinect to change channels via IR). This would elminate using an OTA antenna or Cable Card to get integrated live tv.

Heck even without that dream, Kodi on Xbox One (provided it doesnt lock down the skin/UI like plex) would be what Ive wanted since getting my Xbox One and would really make it the one device used in my living room for everything.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One Discussion6