Apple Lossless vs. FLAC
I bought an Android-based streaming music player running KODI and arranged to rip my 900 CDs to digital files. The service doing this says Apple Lossless will work with my set-up and is better than FLAC. Should I go with Apple Lossless?
Personally I would stay with FLAC, because there is no sound advantages with ALAC (ALAC and FLAC sound exactly the same) and I prefer open source formats to propriatory ones.

I did read that iTunes does not play or support FLAC files natively, if that is correct and you are a big Apple OS user then I guess ALAC my offer something you want.
As far as I know from own experience and reading online there are no real differences between flac and apple lossless in terms of sound. After all, both are lossless formats. File sizes are also comparable. I've been using flac exclusively for a long time despite being a apple user, but now after I got an iPhone with 132Gb memory I started to rip in apple lossless since I can play that on my phone. I got pretty hood IEM (Shute 846) and can't hear a difference between the formats even when playing with an external DAC to the phone. Just use what's convenient for you.

Sent from my iPhone
I too am using ALAC files because I still have a classic iPod for my car and my family use iPhones (I'm an android user). I run KODI on an ASUS chromebox and have no trouble with ALAC, although I don;t think my old ears could hear the differnce between ALAC and FLAC.

iTunes, BTW, formats tracks just fine for use with KODI, but some of the metadata does not get embedded, like song ratings. That could be a biggie if you plan to rate songs and set up smart playlists.
FLAC is "better", I.E. its compatible with far more players and operating systems.

Even windows 10 now supports reading FLAC tags natively.

Itunes being the exception of course
FLAC is open, ALAC is proprietary. If you want to store audio for long term use and compatibility with a wider variety of players. Go for FLAC.
(2017-03-02, 15:21)J876 Wrote: FLAC is open, ALAC is proprietary. If you want to store audio for long term use and compatibility with a wider variety of players. Go for FLAC.

Not true Apple Lossless is open source and royalty free since 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-03-02, 15:24)Balcmeg Wrote:
(2017-03-02, 15:21)J876 Wrote: FLAC is open, ALAC is proprietary. If you want to store audio for long term use and compatibility with a wider variety of players. Go for FLAC.

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Thanks for the update. It is good that ALAC is open now.
(2017-03-03, 08:38)J876 Wrote:
(2017-03-02, 15:24)Balcmeg Wrote:

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Thanks for the update. It is good that ALAC is open now.

No problem, it's only a few years since I found out myself, and I switched back to Apple in '06...

Information on internet can be a tricky thing.

Sent from my iPhone

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Lossless vs. FLAC0