Linux and Python scripts
Is it just me, or do the majority of the python script and plugins not work on linux / xbmc ?
There are alot of issues with running the old scripts in linux (mainly casesensitivity of files/folders)..
Is there a list of what works under linux and what not?

Miss my svt-script, resolution is so much better than using firefox and w32codec under linux.
To all those experiencing any problems. 99.9% of all the issues stem from scripts assuming one of two things:

1) That the drive hierarchy is always consistent (when it says Q:/ it thinks it knows what it will find)
2) Capitalization, pretty much all Nix filesystems take a and A as totally separate characters Meaning if it's looking for ~./UserData and it's ~./userdata it will NOT find the directory.

Here's how to manually fix it on both counts. It involves a little work on your own though!

1) Replace relative paths with absolute paths.

This may be a bother for multi user systems, but XBMC is multiuser in itself anyway, so whatever. When you see something like Q:\\UserData\\Scripts change it to /home/username/.xbmc/UserData/Scripts/ as an example. This WILL require digging in to some python source. It's *not* that hard to do. Generally these variables are defined VERY early on in their respective source file.

2) See where it fails! when you're loading a script, press the info button right after. this will open the debug log. Watch it. See if it has trouble finding anything. If it does, find it yourself, and verify that it's even looking in the right place! this also ties in to 1 in that absolute locations are way easier than relative for a single user environment. For example some scripts look for \\UserData where you might use /userdata. this difference MATTERS on most linux filesystems.

Using these two simple checks, I've made countless scripts work on y system that I need.

Bear in mind that most of these scripts were not directly designed for the linux port. while this shouldn't matter much, several variables are assumed on a Windows-ish client, that could be very different on a Linux setup. Just use your head, and think things through.

Should I make this a new post for a sticky or something? I think this would help a lot of people. Maybe go more in depth with specific fixes.
Further, some scripts seem to depend upon the python imaging library for 2.4. this is deprecated on most modern systems, I believe. So certain things will flat not work unless you install it manually.
It would be useful if anybody has amended any scripts to get them to work if they posted their changes somewhere, to save us all re-doing the same work.

I have just started trying out xbmc on linux yesterday and must say I am impressed so far, but would like the comics script working so if anybody has edited could they please post the changes

thanks for all the work folk have done

Tkgafs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux and Python scripts0