XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V1: an USB disk image
Great work, works on my 2Gb stuck.
One problem: (I'm new to Linux so please be kind Wink)
After startup from the usb-stick, i can't add any new sources Sad
Network seems to work, i get an ip-address, but when adding a new network source, XBMC just restarts.
Addedd an new directory (called "Video") on the usb-stick, but can't find that when browsing from XBMC.
I haven't managed to get it working yet, but i'm trying it on a 1gb microSD-Card put in a little usb-reader.. is recognised as USBDrive though under Dos and Windows...

Anyone thinks this is the problem?

When i try to boot it get: Boot error_

So it does acces the USB i think, just cant boot from it..
Yes it is.

Either by connecting with SSH or switching to one of the text mode consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F2 to F6), all you need to do is rename /home/xbmc/.xsession and then exit from XBMC; you SHOULD be getting into X+fluxbox after the X server restarts.

When you have finished with the update restore the file .xsession and you are done!

Cheers

Luigi
Topfs2 Wrote:A little feedback to the author, I have issues with the boot process as it doesn't seem to search for the installation folder in more than 4 drives
In next release I will extend the search to 6 drives, hope it will be enough!

djdafreund Wrote:Hopefully someone can make a nvidia build too though.
You never know what the future will bring.. Wink

Cheers

Luigi
l.capriotti Wrote:In next release I will extend the search to 6 drives, hope it will be enough!

You never know what the future will bring.. Wink

Cheers

Luigi
6 drives will do it for me atleast Smile

You don't think you could possibly make it react to the xforcevesa option? then one could actually choose the drivers themself, after install.
Although, this kind of defeats the purpose of this livecd, as it should automagically work, somewhere waaaaay down the road Smile
l.capriotti Wrote:Yes it is.

Either by connecting with SSH or switching to one of the text mode consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F2 to F6), all you need to do is rename /home/xbmc/.xsession and then exit from XBMC; you SHOULD be getting into X+fluxbox after the X server restarts.

When you have finished with the update restore the file .xsession and you are done!

Cheers

Luigi

Thanks for the info, that part is working fine.
But when i copy a new build to the "stick", it will not start up, just a black screen.
I compliled XBMC on a different system using build.sh
Is there anything i should change in that build ?
Can not get it too boot.
Tried with Sandisk 1gb and a SD memory card.

1. Used HP tool to format drive to FAT file system.
2. Used Undisker tool, just draged and droped all the files shown when i opened the IMG file onto the sandisk 1gb usb stick.

3. ran syslinux -f O:

4. Set it to boot from USB (actually tried booth my laptop and my desktop computer, same fault).

Did I do something wrong?

I know there is no support on this, and I'm not demanding a solution, just if anyone got a tip to throw at me you are more than welcome.
The one pike posted work great for USB
http://www.planet-lab.org/node/172

But you are trying on a SD memory card, they may be different I have no idea, although I think it's kind of seldom it works to boot from them?

And what is the error your boot generated? Does it just not boot or do it try to boot? Elaborate please.

Tip, try this on a USB stick first as it SHOULD work on USB memory stick if done right.
Topfs2 Wrote:The one pike posted work great for USB
http://www.planet-lab.org/node/172

But you are trying on a SD memory card, they may be different I have no idea, although I think it's kind of seldom it works to boot from them?

And what is the error your boot generated? Does it just not boot or do it try to boot? Elaborate please.

Tip, try this on a USB stick first as it SHOULD work on USB memory stick if done right.

It displays something like "boot device not found, press any key to retry" when I select USB as bootdevice. I forgot to tell you that I use windows to prepare the flashdisk, the link posted seems to be a solution for Linux only. Sad
I saw I was a bit unclear, I tried both with a Sandisk 1GB USB-Stick, and a SD-card.
senz Wrote:It displays something like "boot device not found, press any key to retry" when I select USB as bootdevice. I forgot to tell you that I use windows to prepare the flashdisk, the link posted seems to be a solution for Linux only. Sad

That error seems to be that you haven't gotten it to be a bootable device, on Windows I am not certain on how you fixes this. I have used the hptool but only to move bootable floppies to USB-disk. And it doesn't seem to apply to Linux dists unfortunately. Although I think you can follow the linux guide from a live CD if you haven't any Ubuntu installed. Just download the CD, burn and boot from the CD and you should be able to follow the guide, although you probably need some packages and such. most certainly syslinux. Wich are in the repositories.
I've used Syslinux to create bootable media on Windows. This might help, it's from the unRAID instructions and is what I followed setting up my servers.
Another Windows tool to extract such images to USB drives is physdiskwrite.exe from the m0n0 project.

Has anyone tried physdiskwrite?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Has anyone tried physdiskwrite?
I did, and it did not work Sad

I have drafted a manual procedure for the creation of the bootable USB disk in the new LiveXBMC Blog (courtesy of TeamXBMC).
Hopefully someone will find an easier way soon.

Cheers

Luigi
Ive tired the guide and I cant seem to get it work, is there something I am missing? I think I have the drive formatted but I cant get syslinux to copy over using the command prompt any guidance would be appreciated

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V1: an USB disk image0