Accessing Kodi hard drive from a different computer
Hello all,

I've recently run into an issue accessing the hard drive on my Kodi HTPC. I have a main computer which has files I would like to transfer to the hard drive on the Kodi PC. Normally I would access the Kodi PC via the network center on the other computer. The problem is, the Kodi PC is not appearing as a valid computer. Instead it's a "media device". How could I access the hard drive on the Kodi PC via the network center so I can move files over?

Thanks!
This wiki should get your started http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows
(2017-03-03, 19:51)PatK Wrote: This wiki should get your started http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

But isn't this simply how to add video sources that exist on a different computer? I want to physically move Video A on Computer A to my Kodi Computer. I don't want to keep it on Computer A.
This sounds like a networking issue, not so much a Kodi issue. What sort of device/operating system is your Kodi running on?
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
No, its how to share files via SMB. Please read the link.

Quote:Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol
I think the link is pretty well-written, TBH.

scott s.
(2017-03-03, 20:52)whysoserious Wrote: This sounds like a networking issue, not so much a Kodi issue. What sort of device/operating system is your Kodi running on?

Kodi is running on Openelec OS. The files on the main computer is running Windows 10.
Open a windows explorer button.
In the address bar type

\\openelec

What do you see?
You really need to go to the Openelec forum. You won't be able to access all of the Openelec partitions.

This is an Openelec thing with nothing to do with Windows or Kodi. What you really want to do is learn about WinSCP/PuTTY.

If it is media that you want off of the Windows machine it would be easier to stream than transfer. Things like config and update files you need WinSCP/PuTTY.
(2017-03-05, 06:37)donbrew Wrote: You really need to go to the Openelec forum. You won't be able to access all of the Openelec partitions.

This is an Openelec thing with nothing to do with Windows or Kodi. What you really want to do is learn about WinSCP/PuTTY.

If it is media that you want off of the Windows machine it would be easier to stream than transfer. Things like config and update files you need WinSCP/PuTTY.
If - as he says - he wants to access stuff on openelec from windows there's nothing wrong with using windows explorer / smb - it's literally the first thing I set up, takes a minute and a reboot.
True, But obviously the OP hasn't read any of the Openelec startup documents. That is covered in the very first chapter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing Kodi hard drive from a different computer0