Using a VPN
I just added a VPN to my Kodi box, but now I now longer have access to my Media Pc where NextPVR is running, so I dont have TV menu. Is there a way around this?
Why do you feel the need to use VPN?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Because I like to keep my privacy.
A VPN is not required for Kodi and just adds complication. There is nothing critical exposed unless you're worried somebody wants to know what you have in your DVD collection.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-03-03, 20:56)mrothwell Wrote: I just added a VPN to my Kodi box, but now I now longer have access to my Media Pc where NextPVR is running, so I dont have TV menu. Is there a way around this?

Once you enable the VPN your Kodi box is no longer on your local network. You've got four choices I can think of:

1- add another network connection to your Kodi box and figure out how to route local traffic through it and internet stuff through your VPN.
2- reconfigure your NextPVR box so that it's accessible from anywhere on the internet. You'll need to be extra careful about security here and be aware there will probably be a significant performance hit, as traffic to/from NextPVR is now being routed out to the internet and back into your home.
3- get a dedicated VPN box that sits between your local network and the internet.
4- Don't use the VPN.

Any of these (except #4) are going to be very complex to get running and keep running.
You can use port forwarding on your router to point your IP address from your PC(your local PI address) with NextPVR server on to your main IP address on your router,then use your main IP address in Kodi in the NextPVR addon where it asks for your host name in the connections tab.then it should see the channels.

But you main ip address might change,it depends on if its static or dynamic

"Difference between static and dynamic IPs. When a device is assigned a static IP address, the address does not change. Most devices use dynamic IP addresses, which are assigned by the network when they connect and change over time."
AVer Media DVB-T USB2.0 X2 ( 2 Tuners) and MXQ PRO G9CX(for TV only) With Kodi 17.1 Krypton running Windows Media Center and ServerWMC on Windows 10 Pro 1703 build 15063.138.

I love Kodi,been using it for years when it was called Xbox Media Center (XBMC),I still have it on my Xbox Original.I still have the first version on it.

Kodi is "Helpful" in a lot of ways..:)
I realized one other thing to check. Some VPN clients have a check box to allow local traffic to be routed locally. If you're VPN client has that, that might help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using a VPN0