adding a single mp3 to the playlist?
Question 
Hi folks, do you first have to add mp3s to the database to be able to use the Add to Playlist?

When I try this in normal file browsing mode (via SMB shares), adding to playlist adds the contents of the entire folder to the playlist. Then, if I add another mp3 to the playlist from another folder, the existing list is removed and replaced with the entire folder again!

This is very odd as I'm sure this used to work for me a year or so ago (before I started using Clearity skin in fact)
Y queues up single tracks.

A plays a track (replacing the current now playing list).

XBMC has a playlist editor built in to it if that's what you are wanting to create - go to the Playlists source, and click the "New Playlist" option.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for replying.

The thing is, when I press 0 to add to the queue (I'm using a programmable remote control), it adds the contents of the entire folder rather than just the highlighted mp3.

Do you think this may be Clearity skin related?
A Debug Log may be useful - the code is pretty clear, it will only play more than one item if you queue on a folder.

EDIT: And testing confirms it. Queue on a single item just adds the single item to the playlist.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

To be absolutely clear on this, did you test on an mp3 which you found through browsing your xbmc music library or through bog standard file navigation? Because the former works for me but not the latter, and I don't know why.

Presumably there's something strange in my config file since I've updated several times and the problem persists?
The problem has resolved itself mysteriously - I'll keep an eye on it and get back to you if/when it happens again (it's happened to me quite a few times).

Appreciate your time looking rechecking this though, Jonathon.
Hi there. As I knew it would, the problem has come back!

I pressed 0 to add various mp3s to the 'Now Playing' playlist then examined the list using Context > Now playing. On the 3rd view, the playlist has been replaced with the contents of the folder I was in, thus wiping the real playlist.

Since I'm using a programmable remote, and given that the commands/keymap change depending on the screen I am on, would it be sensible to get a key log (somehow) of the buttons/commands that are being performed?
I believe a debug log provides that information.
Ok so I've enabled logging by holding X+Y buttons whilst loading up, then copying the file into a text editor.

http://pastebin.com/m39d650bf <-- relevant lines
http://pastebin.com/d22c44e30 <-- the whole log
From your log, the first thing you did is:

#
16:03:30 M: 43868160 DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: 11 pressed, action is 7
#
16:03:30 M: 43831296 DEBUG: CPlayerCoreFactor::GetPlayers(smb://drshit/music/purgatory/Beatles - The Black Album/The Beatles Black Album d1t09 Get Back.mp3)

action 7 is SELECT -> You requested that track 9 starts playing. As you have "Auto Play next item" switched on, the contents of the folder get added to the playlist.

Thanks for looking Jonathan.

Does that mean then that if I want to make a playlist using the filesystem and not via the library, I need to switch off 'AutoPlay next item' then turn it back on when finished?
Or just make sure I don't change what I'm listening to whilst making a playlist this way?
If you want to make a playlist I suggest you use the playlist editor (available from the "Music Playlists" source).

To do so, would I not need first to add my music to the library/db ?
I don't find the library's hierarchy convenient enough to use for browsing (but good for searching). I've been rereading the wiki but it doesn't shed any light :\
No. As I said, you access the playlist editor via the Music Playlists source - files or library view makes no difference.

Sorry I was just trying to clarify your poing - can you then recommend a good resource to learn how to use this feature other than the wiki?

Out of interest, I turned off 'Auto-play next item' then made a quick playlist and it was fine. However, when I listened to tunes not on the playlist and then flicked back to 'Now playing' the list had blanked itself and had only the mp3 i was listening to.

I think there's something fundamental to XBMC music playback I'm not getting here..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adding a single mp3 to the playlist?0