adding a single mp3 to the playlist?
kraqh3d Wrote:This has been a cause of some recent user headaches, though I'm not sure why it's recent. This change was done more than a year ago.

But, I have been considering making a change to alleviate these issues by having the SELECT action be configurable when invoked on a playable item. My idea is to make it configurable to either PLAY or QUEUE actions. (There's a thread on this someplace as well. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

Today, it's represents PLAY action which clears the current queue, and then adds the item to the queue and starts playback. If you change it to QUEUE, the item will just be appended to the existing queue.

(And the Now Playing window just represents the current play queue. It's the same exact screen that the BLACK button would toggle to, and in fact, Xbmc can still do that, though it may not be part of the default keymap anymore.)

The PLAY/QUEUE toggle would definitely help for sure!

I can still use BLACK to toggle to the 'Now Playing' window which is great. I guess the issue is the fact that the person has to be certain to only use YELLOW to queue or else they will delete their entire playlist. I think people instinctively press GREEN.

Also, I believe there is an option in the Settings that allows you to change the default behaviour when pressing GREEN on a song correct? By default, it will clear your Now Playing window and add every other song in the current directory you're in underneath the current playing item as 'queued' items. I believe you can turn this off to have XBMC only queue the single item you pressed GREEN on correct? If so, changing the default to QUEUE for the GREEN button would alleviate a big issue IMHO.
Quote:Also, I believe there is an option in the Settings that allows you to change the default behaviour when pressing GREEN on a song correct? By default, it will clear your Now Playing window and add every other song in the current directory you're in underneath the current playing item as 'queued' items. I believe you can turn this off to have XBMC only queue the single item you pressed GREEN on correct? If so, changing the default to QUEUE for the GREEN button would alleviate a big issue IMHO.

Yes. That's the "auto play next item" option. Technically, this can option can sort of work in conjunction with "Select == Queue", where all the songs are added. The hurdle is that "auto play next item" option sets the current song to the one selected. This bit doesn't work well when there's an existing queue.

So, it's easier to only allow "auto play next item" to function when the queue is already empty; otherwise, only add the selected song into the queue.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I see the benefit of play -> queue by default when playing (good for a party for instance), so this should be an option.

I also agree that constructing a playlist can be a pain in the arse.

There's a major difference from the users' perspective between the "now playing" list and a playlist that the user is in the process of constructing.

The problem is that they're the same thing in many circumstances (and are treated identically by the code), but ideally we'd be able to treat them differently, by having a user constructed playlist being a little less volatile than it is at the moment.

I honestly don't know what the solution is, however.

As an example, consider where a user plays a song from album 1. They have autoplaynextitem enabled. They then go and queue a song from album 2. What is the expected behaviour? Currently it'll play the entirety of album 1, then play one song from album 2 and stop. The user, however is probably expecting that the queued song would play after the current song finishes, and (due to autoplaynextitem being enabled) that it'd continue on with the rest of album 2 once said queued song is done.

We really need to think this through and get it right.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Just stumbled across this thread whilst searching for a way of making "enqueue" the default option over "play". Seems to be quite a popular little question!
jmarshall Wrote:As an example, consider where a user plays a song from album 1. They have autoplaynextitem enabled. They then go and queue a song from album 2. What is the expected behaviour? Currently it'll play the entirety of album 1, then play one song from album 2 and stop. The user, however is probably expecting that the queued song would play after the current song finishes, and (due to autoplaynextitem being enabled) that it'd continue on with the rest of album 2 once said queued song is done.
Yeah. I think this is a problem caused by not being able to see the library and the Now Playing list at the same time, so it's not immediately obvious at any given point what is going to happen. Another issue is that there's no default way of switching to the "Now Playing" list using the remote - I didn't even realise there was such thing until I stumbled across it by accident using the keyboard! I'm thinking having both on-screen would involve a major coding rewrite, screw up a few skins and generally be a pain in the arse, so perhaps not feasible.

What would work for me is having an "enqueue by default" option, and when this is enabled having XBMC jump to the Now Playing list automatically (maybe with the option to disable this). This way, the user would select a song from Album 1, and it would jump to Now Playing so they know that all of the album is to be played. Back, and select a song from Album 2. They now jump to Now Playing again and see that their song(s) has been added to the end. They can promote or demote or delete that or the other songs to their heart's content, but the important thing is that they know what's going to happen because it's right there infront of them.

I appreciate an issue with this is that it doubles the number of keypresses you need to queue up a bunch of songs (ie. SELECT, then BACK, find the next song, SELECT, BACK, etc. instead of QUEUE, find next song, QUEUE, etc.) which is why I would perhaps provide an option to disable this behaviour. But like I say, it's a solution that would work for me, and I believe the un-savvy/drunk-at-a-party/aged-relative user would be able to cope with it also.
Jumping to the window would be a pain in the arse and would annoy folk somewhat.

The plan in my mind (for quite some time) was to allow the now playing list to be able to float in and out no matter what the view (i.e. integrate it completely throughout the app.) This is non-trivial to implement, however.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Any progress on making the GREEN button 'enqueue as default' as a toggle?
I guess this isn't going to be added? I wish something would be done (anything) as the current playlist system has taken a large step back from what it was years ago with the toggle between playlist/music. Even changing it back would be much better. Other than a couple devs, I haven't spoken with anyone that prefers the new system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adding a single mp3 to the playlist?0