Req Sync playback to display while passing-trough audio in Kodi 17
(2017-05-25, 21:37)rr_7351 Wrote: Did you perhaps try the 17.3 version? Any updates on that matter?

Hi! not yet, but I will try to check it out next week Smile
No luck Tongue
Thanks. Wink
I take it you'll report here if we'll get lucky? ;-)
Of course! Wink
Oh, one more thing. Since there are not so many users reporting this issue do you think our hardware is causing this?
Or are just we too demanding? Wink
It is not a hardware issue, but the way Kodi syncs the audio and video now, as explained in this thread by FernetMenta Smile
larsete, at least on Windows you could try to perfect your refresh rates through this guide: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571 (you could use an MPC-HC installation with madVR). Once the results are good, they will stay good on Kodi too. The custom timings should be good in Linux too (if coming from a Windows installation on the same machine) but I don't have a direct experience of this.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Thank you ashlar! It is an interesting guide, but as long as Kodi is able to output bit-perfect audio, as I understand it does (At least it seems so in my Linux setup using ALSA and Windows setup using WASAPI), I'm happy.

The old method was good for me, so was just asking this because is easier to check everything is working fine just by looking at the AVR display, and also because ATMOS is still not supported by ffmpeg.

Best!
(2017-06-08, 12:47)larsete Wrote: It is not a hardware issue, but the way Kodi syncs the audio and video now, as explained in this thread by FernetMenta Smile
Yes, I read that too.
I thought it might be a HW issue since there are only a few of us complaining about that.
I had movement issues several years ago and I had to use old Nvidia drivers. I'm guessing other GPU might work differently.
I'm having hard time understanding everybody else is OK with dropping frames or bypassing the AVR decoding.
(2017-06-09, 16:35)rr_7351 Wrote:
(2017-06-08, 12:47)larsete Wrote: It is not a hardware issue, but the way Kodi syncs the audio and video now, as explained in this thread by FernetMenta Smile
Yes, I read that too.
I thought it might be a HW issue since there are only a few of us complaining about that.
I had movement issues several years ago and I had to use old Nvidia drivers. I'm guessing other GPU might work differently.
I'm having hard time understanding everybody else is OK with dropping frames or bypassing the AVR decoding.

Sync playback to display aka smooth video has been design to change audio speed to match display speed. Some users like you abused this feature for different purposes. The chance to abuse it in this way is gone now and won't come back. Instead of whining you'd better proactively contribute to appropriate video sync methods for your specific use case. Only following this path you can improve things. Whining does not help at all.
I don't see how someone could abused this option.

Also not sure why you consider this whining. I had issues with both options. First, my movement was excellent and every now and then I got loud crack from my loudspeakers and constant dropouts with Atmos tracks. Now audio is fine and movement is jerky. I described both problems here. Unfortunately that's all I can do. If I would have coding skills I would gladly help.

Developer's explanations can be harsh too. Telling users that AVR doing the decoding is just a light on the display can't be taking seriously if one doesn't understand the concept of decoding.

I'm aware this is a freeware software and all the team members are trying very hard but telling users (who would gladly pay for a commercial version) they are whiners somehow doesn't fit in a proactive contrubution.

If you have any suggestions how can I or everyone else proactively contribute to a better product (other than describing our isses) please do share how we can do that.
(2017-06-18, 22:33)rr_7351 Wrote: If you have any suggestions how can I or everyone else proactively contribute to a better product (other than describing our isses) please do share how we can do that.

If you want audio passing through, you don't want to have audio speed changed. Hence you don't want "sync playback to display". You just abused this feature to solve some issue not directly related. Go 2 steps back, describe the issue: what do you observe, how would you expect it to be, what is the root cause. Think of a solution not in terms of code but technically.
Sorry for late reply. I cannot say what the solution would be. As far as I know there are issues with image processing which needs longer processing time so the audio track has to be altered too.
Bluray players also suffer from this so they built lip sync option one has to properly set depending on the screen used. The better the screen the longer the delay.
In older versions of Kodi I used audio delay too. It worked good. Not perfect because sometimes I had to change it during the movie but it was less disturbing than jerky picture.
Other than that, my knowledge is not good enough to provide a solution, not technically nor in terms of code. Since bluray manufacturers didn't figure this one out I'm guessing this must be a hard nut to crack.
I am also having these kinds of problems now since updating to 17.3, and I never used these options in Jarvis. Literally none of my settings changed yet here I am. If I go back to Jarvis the problem goes away. The only way to resolve it for me in Krypton is to enable "Adjust Display Refresh Rate," however when I do this, after starting a 480 video at 23.997/976, Kodi plays for about 3 seconds at 1080p, then dumps to black while the refresh rate is adjusted, and then sends the 24 hz properly, after which things work great. This happens no matter the setting of "Always" or "On Stop/Start." So, there is something going on with how this works. Since HD content doesn't require any refresh change, there are never any problems with it.

It's not true that there is no advantage to letting the AVR decode vs. having software decode and sending out PCM. There are many things that can get in the way of that process and cause it to be resampled or altered. Maybe Kodi isn't always party to that, but it doesn't run in a vacuum, and the chances for the OS to do it are there, especially in Windows. Users might not be aware how to avoid that, and they may not want to change those settings because they may be desirable for other DirectSound applications. That's why we have WASAPI, right? If there's no advantage to passthrough, why is it even available in Kodi? Atmos and DTS:X don't play with PCM either, as was mentioned elsewhere about ffmpeg capabilities.

Now, onto the soap box... Without intending disrespect, I will never understand what seems like outright hostility toward users in responses to posts, especially polite posts. I seriously doubt that any user means disrespect toward the development team when they post. Telling a user to code their own version of something if they think a change might be good, or insulting them for even asking is not really productive, and certainly not very nice.

Not everyone who uses Kodi is an A/V expert. A lot of users won't even be able to understand a wiki if it is full of jargon. Similarly, users probably don't have the knowledge to understand problem tracing via technical courses, or by thinking about the way code is built.

Lambasting a guy because he says "Hey, this used to work and now it doesn't, is there any way to bring it back?" doesn't get anyone anywhere. In actuality, this question should probably interpreted as "What's the new way to get a similar result to this combination?" The guy wants his AVR to be able to decode the audio (valid) while having video that does not microstutter or slow down (also valid), because that's the way it worked before (reality). I want these things too. I didn't use those options and it still worked for me. At the end of the day, something used to work for us really well, and now it doesn't. Since the explanation here is pretty clearly "Too bad, deal with it or fix it yourself," for now, that means using Jarvis or putting up with quirks. It's really saddening.
For my case, I too would like to be able drop/skip audio and keep the passthrough options without drop/skipping video frames. I simply cannot reproduce the sound quality for pcm streams v passthrough sound. When it used to drop/skip the audio to keep in sync, I rarely noticed this. On the otherhand, the skipped frames on the video are very obvious.

It seems this is unlikely to change, but thought I should mention it anyway and live in hope!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sync playback to display while passing-trough audio in Kodi 171