Be aware!
I dont really know where to post this.
But there is a serious bug in the latest kodi, Jarvis i believe, on android machines atleast.
If you rename a file to a name that's identical to one that already exists in the same folder kodi will overwrite your old file with the new one,
Kodi will not warn you or inform you that your file ,with a identical name, will be deleted or overwritten, depending on your point of view.

Not so fun...
Can you expand? Do you mean through the file manager, as I can't immediately think why Kodi would be writing files otherwise?

And can you confirm your Kodi version - Jarvis is the previous one, Krypton is current.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
can confirm, using the filemanager, using kodi krypton on linux.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
It's the latest version, the one i cant find anything in yet, and its through the file manager, and its comes as a suprise.
KODI 17.0 Git:20170205 0cbe762
sounds exactly like the behavior I expect.
the shell (on unix like systems) behaves the same.
Ye, but its a bitxh when you accidentally misspells something. Then its nice with "Are you certain you want to do this?"
Confirmed with file manager and with a bash shell, as above. So it's not a bug, so much as a perhaps less-than-desirable feature - especially if people aren't expecting the UNIX-like brutality of "well, you told me to, so I did - your problem".
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
well, I dont say the behaviour should be changed, but in fact, (most) sane GUIs dont act in the way the "brutal shell" do. it is a "rename" operation, not "move", there is a good point that users expect the rename operation to fail (and tell them why)

EDIT: for the very same reason, some linux distributions alias "mv" to "mv -i" in /etc/skel/
it happens with me also in Krypton and one more thing the file manager shows the full capacity of my external disk not the free space available and I don't know how to make it show me the free space which is more convenient because I already know the capacity of my hard disk but I want to know quickly my available space

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Be aware!0