v17 Video stuttering with v17.0
Windows 7/64 Ultimate,
i3 CPU with 8GB RAM,
Kodi v17.0, downloaded late February, replacing 16.1 that had been running perfectly for about 6 months.
Embedded video, Intel HD Graphics device ID 8086-0102 rev A, Gigabyte. Driver version 9.17.10.4299

Under Jarvis 16.1 everything was fine. Within a day after I upgraded certain videos would stutter badly (freeze for about half a second every 10 seconds) while others were fine. There's no real rhyme or reason as to which videos stutter and which do not. I'm using the Amber skin, which was also upgraded at the time. I have no backups to revert to a known-good configuration (thanks, Acronis) so I'm not sure how to even begin troubleshooting this. Problem also occurs under Estuary.

Debug file:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/24149507

Any help appreciated, please and thanks, even if it's a way to revert to a known-good version.
Nothing standing out in your debug log, other than there is a lot going on with ~60 scripts and ~120 plugins, in the jump to Kodi 17 there may be something that is out of wack and it's not clear in this log. Instead of compromising what you have, I'd like you install Kodi 17.1rc as a portable file http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable and let's see if the base hardware can handle a bare bones Kodi without glitches from a local file (keep a debug log running on one of those troublesome videos). Potentially this could be a bandwidth issue, or something sucking the resources out of your system like an add-on or plugin.
@DXer
One thing to check in settings is number of graphics buffers under settingsConfusedystem:display

For some reason the Krypton install set this to 3. All kinds of player problems. I set it to 2 and everything works as it should. x264, x265 1080p,avi, etc all play smoothly.

Cheap s905 android box. 2G ram. Dunno if the Win version has this setting.
One followup to this: All the problem videos from Kodi play 100% perfectly in both Plex and VLC Player, so it's absolutely a Kodi issue, unfortunately.
Wow, so nobody mentioned the common things to try first, that might lead you to a fix, or possibly fix your issue, So I will try to help.

1. Install a portable copy of Kodi Krypton.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode

2. Once the portable version is installed, add your sources only (no skins, or add-ons installed), and see if the problem persists.

3. Since you are on Windows, make sure that your sound settings are set to WASAPI and not DirectSound. This gets changed around all the time with Microsoft patching stuff, so always double check this setting after a Windows Patch.

4. Turn off Deinterlace.

5. Make sure Sync Playback to Display is Off.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=308600

6. Under Sound Settings, change Optimized to Best Available (or Vice Versa).

7. Did you are using the Intel embedded HD Graphics, check Intel's website to see if there were new Video Drivers?

8. Are you connecting to a Receiver to output sound? If so, did you verify which settings your Receiver can have passed through from Kodi? Features like DD+, TrueHD, etc, might not be supported by your Receiver. So uncheck these, and test one at a time to verify they aren't causing the issue.

Remember after each of these changes, you should probably shut down Kodi, then restart it, and test a few videos that were giving you issues.

Hopefully these give you some Ideas on what to hunt around for to fix your issue.
OK, some answers to the above. I won't have a chance to experiment with the portable version until I'm off next week, but as for the rest: Graphics buffers set to 2 (was at 3),and it didn't go away, but it's better than it was. Thanks to Mr. Igor for that suggestion.

In Videos->Player, Adjust Display RefreshRate off, synch playback to display is off, Render method changed to DXVA from Auto: This made a significant difference, but again, there's still some stutted with this set and graphics buffers set to 2.

Where is De-interlace? I can't find it under Videos or Player.

Audio set to Best Match (was Optimized).

Latest video driver installed, system is patched the minute I'm notified of updates and hotfixes as well.

I am using a receiver that can play everything you can throw at it; a brand new Denon x3300w. DTS, AC-3, TrueHD, you name it. My source material is usually just 5.1 (or lower) .MKV files but sometimes more. My system can do 5.2.2 (5 full-range mains, two subs, two height/Atmos). I have Audio passthrough enabled, and passthrough output device was set to directsound: Default now changed to WASAPI: DEFAULT instead.

(Speaking of sounds, is there any way to adjust the system sound levels? They're deafening, whereas the program material is at a normal, comfortable listening volume).
Update: none of the changes above seem to have made much difference if any. Playback is so bad on some files they are completely unwatchable. I will try the portable installation next week but I have to wonder if it will make any difference. Just tried several more files that are unwatchable in Kodi but are clean in Plex.

Is there any way to completely revert to 16.1 and previous release of Amber? That worked very reliably. I don't trust Krypton, quite frankly. I seriously don't want to rebuild my system again. It took 8 weeks to perfect last year.
You already gave enough info to fix your problem (bet you didn't realize it)...

"In Videos->Player, Adjust Display RefreshRate off, synch playback to display is off, Render method changed to DXVA from Auto: This made a significant difference, but again, there's still some stutted with this set and graphics buffers set to 2."

You are attempting to Hardware decode videos (that is what DXVA is doing). Change this to Software mode. I know that setting may have worked in 16.1, but with the changes they've made, your CPU and GPU can't handle it.

Check these threads out as well...
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303237
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289498&page=6
Things I've learned (and why I've switched to the Nvidia Shield Android TV), when using Intel and Windows (still have a few NUC's left, but they are going away soon).

1. Windows patches screw up my settings (happened all the time), I would leave my system on and ready to use, come home from work, and something wouldn't work. Restart Kodi didn't make a difference. Upon reboot, see that Windows patched, and now Kodi is working correctly again (sometimes, see next issue).

2. A Windows patch would cause Kodi to switch from WASAPI (I am using Passthrough in Kodi to my Receiver) to Directsound. Random event but very irritating.

3. Even the newest Intel NUC's have problems with x265 (HEVC) decoding. Where my Shield TV does not.

4. I can run Android apps strait from within Kodi (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hula, etc), and when I close them, hey, I'm back in Kodi. Try doing that in Windows, it's no where near as simple or easy.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Also, instead of Windows, you might try creating a Thumb drive, and installing one of the Linux Kodi imaged on it, they have far less issues than Windows does.
I'm very curious about Shield and I'd like to find out more. I want something wife-friendly that can playback .mkv files and allow Dolby Digital, DTS and anything else to pass through to the receiver. Better still, if I can run Kodi plus this skin (Amber) on it and have it look and feel as good as this PC I'd be very happy.

In the mean time, I've gone in and changed the render method to Software, Adjust Display Refresh Rate to OFF, Sync Playback to Display off, Enable HQ Scalers @ 20% and Allow Hardware Acceleration-DXVA2 to OFF.
Just an update, the suggested changes solved the problem, BIG thanks to POWERHOUSE!
Glad I could help, and it fixed your issue.

As for the Nvidia Shield TV, it has replaced all the NUC's and PC's (WIndows 7 and Windows 10) I've had running Kodi. It's awesome to use the built in Remote, to control Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and all the other programs you can use on the Shield. Unlike Windows, which almost requires a Keyboard and Mouse to do must things.

Oh, and the Shield is Wife Friendly, Kid Friendly and Grandma and Grandpa as well.

Lots of Youtube videos for the Shield to study up on, and of course the Android forum here as well.
(2017-03-15, 18:42)Powerhouse Wrote: Unlike Windows, which almost requires a Keyboard and Mouse to do must things.
Not at all, a decent air mouse is perfectly sufficient, I use a Mele F10 to control everything on there, even editing lines of code. I bet you can't do that on your Shield Smile
(2017-03-15, 18:42)Powerhouse Wrote: Glad I could help, and it fixed your issue.

As for the Nvidia Shield TV, it has replaced all the NUC's and PC's (WIndows 7 and Windows 10) I've had running Kodi. It's awesome to use the built in Remote, to control Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and all the other programs you can use on the Shield. Unlike Windows, which almost requires a Keyboard and Mouse to do must things.

Oh, and the Shield is Wife Friendly, Kid Friendly and Grandma and Grandpa as well.

Lots of Youtube videos for the Shield to study up on, and of course the Android forum here as well.

That's good news. I have a 4k HDR compliant TV and I have to upscale the output of the Windows 7 PC running Kodi at the moment, so having something capable of doing that additional step built-in would be a big help. I use a Harmony remote and FLIRC to map keystrokes to it and that combination works great. Will all the common and popular Kodi add-ons work on the Shield?
(2017-03-15, 18:45)FXB78 Wrote:
(2017-03-15, 18:42)Powerhouse Wrote: Unlike Windows, which almost requires a Keyboard and Mouse to do must things.
Not at all, a decent air mouse is perfectly sufficient, I use a Mele F10 to control everything on there, even editing lines of code. I bet you can't do that on your Shield Smile

Technically, the Mele F10 is a Keyboard and Mouse. Wink

And to be fair, I have plugged in a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse combo on my Shield TV, and it worked without needing any drivers and programs to install. I've also used an older IR Keyboard and mouse, that just worked as well.

One more positive for the Shield TV is Voice commands built right in using either the Controller or Remote. Sure you can achieve the same with Windows, but that requires additional software, and hardware to perform something similar.

Just saying, the Shield TV is so much easier to use for my whole family that it was a no-brainer to replace all my Windows PC's with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stuttering with v17.01