OS X Slow motion / Choppy Video Playback
Hello everyone,
I really need some help. I have read all the threads on this subject, but my problems is I didn't understand any of the procedures some people have done to fix this problem.
I have Mac Mini early 2009, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB, and recently upgraded to OSX El Capitan, and I have downloaded Kodi 17.1.
It is not working at all, complete slow motion video playback, while sound is perfectly fine.

Now if someone would be so kind to explain me step by step how could i fix this problem. My computer related language or abilities are really terrible but I really love Kodi and would love to be able to enjoy it again.
No fix for this yet for macs with nvidia or amd graphics. Use kodi 16.1 instead..
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you so much!!
I have AMD graphics in my MacBook Pro 2015 and 17 runs fine. It's the older hardware that has issues. Plex had the same problem with the early betas of plex media player which now can accommodate older hardware for hardware acceleration along with newer hardware.
(2017-03-15, 22:36)Memphiz Wrote: No fix for this yet for macs with nvidia or amd graphics. Use kodi 16.1 instead..

is there a hope that fix will be introduced or maybe something like a choice of video engines for the next kodi release?

Sometime ago when hardware acceleration for Nvidia GPU was introduced in kodi, the community went bananas. Mac Mini equipped with Nvidia GPU became the non plus ultra choice for HTPC. From that point on Kodi on a Mac with Nvidia 9400 or 320 could play high bit rate home cam made videos smoothly at 10-20% CPU. Quiet, cool and efficient. Now 7 years later it is impossible to play those videos on these macs. Why?

Please give us the old engine back!

I am a FilmOn user, which doesnt work on 16.1 anymore. But 17 doesnt work on my macs Sad. What happened?
Old engine doesn't fit in the new videoplayer design. Its all not that easy as you guys might think.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
The choices are: kodi 16.1 or plex media player.
(2017-03-22, 08:40)Memphiz Wrote: Old engine doesn't fit in the new videoplayer design. Its all not that easy as you guys might think.

Would you be so kind and explain what are the benefits of the new videoplayer please, or why there is a need for a new videoplayer?
No i would not because its to much to write. The reasons mght be explained in the development/videoplayer forum though.
Just give few pros of the new video player please. Because for me, an end user, I dont see, yet, why the new video player. Personally, I would love to understand the reason which would take away some pain on the need to spend 700$ on a new mac mini.
(2017-03-22, 08:40)Memphiz Wrote: Old engine doesn't fit in the new videoplayer design. Its all not that easy as you guys might think.

Hi

Do your provide hardware list ?

I might have the same problem but since few weeks so i'm wondering...

Some details :
- My post
- My Mac : Mac Mini 2010 : 2,4 Ghz C2D / 8 Go RAM / Nvidia Geforce 320

Thanks
(2017-03-28, 21:25)Nemrod Wrote:

Hi

Do your provide hardware list ?

I might have the same problem but since few weeks so i'm wondering...

Some details :
- My post
- My Mac : Mac Mini 2010 : 2,4 Ghz C2D / 8 Go RAM / Nvidia Geforce 320

Thanks
That is the same hardware I have and I have the same issue. Two choices. One, go bad to kodi 16.1 (what I did), two, disable hardware acceleration and let software do the decoding. Drawback on the latter choice is a heavy load on the CPU.
Thanks for your answer.

Bad news for me & from a general point a view Confused

Nemrod
Had the same problem on an old 2009 macbook with 17.1. I turned off hardware acceleration and its working ok now. Settings > Playback > Video.
Disable the video accelerator in player settings that worked for me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow motion / Choppy Video Playback0