• 19(current)
Solved Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64
(2017-08-02, 23:00)FXB78 Wrote: @maleko48, what Direct-X version are you running, given your hesitance to update ? As I remember one of these updates was required as it updated Direct-X and numerous other things required to run Kodi properly. I may be wrong, I just seem to remember having this issue a few years ago. You can do what you want with your system of course, but you can't expect software to be backwards compatible forever Smile

I am running Direct-X 11 which is the latest version supported by my chipset / hardware as far as I know. Supposedly the update ( KB2670838 ) is supposed to improve graphics and gaming performance but like I mentioned, in my case it was actually the exact opposite and then some. My system is fully up to date otherwise with newest drivers and BIOS all around, etc.

Not exactly sure what you mean by the backwards compatible comment, but I am not offended by your comment to be clear. I do understand what you are getting at. I am in school for computer science and security / system admin so this stuff is right up my alley basically.

I prefer Windows 7 myself. It is probably the last Windows version we will ever have complete control over imo. I am highly anti-telemetry and pro-anonymous privacy in case it wasn't obvious, lol. I am hoping by the time Windows 7 is completely unsupported or impractical to use anymore that I will be fully converted to Linux or some other better O/S.

(2017-08-02, 23:00)PatK Wrote: @kod20172nuser2

Please don't take offence, if there was an easy fix, I'd be the first to spill the beans, perhaps one message down https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2594156 gives opportunities. It looks like people who have ongoing issues, reinstalled windows 7 and have a success at the install, likewise for those who moved on to windows 10. Note that in the seven previous pages there have been other solutions, and in that, there may be a fix for you.

The developers looked very carefully at this issue, and any work around seemed to cause other issues or worse compromised the operating system. I'll give a thumbs up to @maleko48 and his post.

Portable mode Is simply installing any version to a folder, creating a shortcut icon and in the target line of the icon put -p after the executable. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable If you find no issue with the portable mode, use it. Failing that LibreElec from a USB stick will put a totally new face on your Kodi install.

Thank you PatK! I appreciate competent individuals who have something worthwhile to say.
(2017-08-02, 23:05)Martijn Wrote: I'm also not so impressed with the general code of conduct of users towards the developers and people spending shitload of time on Kodi and it has greatly declined over the years. Each has his/her opinions. I simply don't like walls of text

Where did my original post throw any shade your way?
My post was strictly informative for others to read and come to their own conclusions.
Please don't project your aversions or malice at me just because you are not happy with others' actions or words.

Last I checked, the English language consists of words. We are humans, not computers. If it were truly a wall of text, I would not have bothered adding lines and spaces between my thoughts.
(2017-08-02, 23:00)PatK Wrote: Portable mode Is simply installing any version to a folder, creating a shortcut icon and in the target line of the icon put -p after the executable. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable If you find no issue with the portable mode, use it. Failing that LibreElec from a USB stick will put a totally new face on your Kodi install.

Kodi -official- doesn't offer a portable per se, the 'portable mode' needs the program to install and the check for KB2670838 doesn't allow it, again I found an unofficial portable that works perfectly, and I hope Kodi offered an official portable or stopped this KB check that works wrongly -Windows fault or whatever-.
(2017-08-02, 22:32)FXB78 Wrote:
(2017-08-02, 22:12)kod20172nuser2 Wrote: Please: why instead of the KB check, not just put at install time a 'Warning: You need to have KB2670838 installed or the program won't function properly', and maybe also during the use of the program if something doesn't work popup a 'you don't have KB2670838 or it is wrongly installed'?
Because then the forums would be full of people saying "What's this popup I keep getting saying 'you don't have KB2670838 or it is wrongly installed', it's annoying how do I get rid of it"

Your idea doesn't actually solve anything, instead it creates additional problems.

Put a checkmark: 'don't tell me this again'.
Quote:I found an unofficial portable that works perfectly
Which one? Can you provide the link please.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
http://www.thumbapps.org/2017/02/Kodi-po...tware.html
Thanks. Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Forget the 'works perfectly', it is so until it crashes (or until I exit normally), it never starts again.
(same with the portable from https://portableapps.com/node/54938 )

I opened https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=319462 for this.
I have the same issue, with multiple builds.
(2017-08-02, 22:42)maleko48 Wrote: Hey guys, I just registered here so I could add my $.02 that I have yet to see any of the numerous mentions of this problem address... I too am having this same problem on a FRESH WINDOWS INSTALLATION that operates flawlessly.

...SNIP

Most of those updates (GWX etc) are no longer relevant. A lot of issues with Win7 are caused by people not installing all the updates or modifying their system (as they know better of course).

As Win7 and 8.1 have both moved to cumulative updates blacklisting updates is pointless, as you've probably already got them installed (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wind...ndows-8-1/)

Win8 for example has Aero, just loses most of the transparency with a different version of the Aero theme. All the hardware compositing etc is there.

Most of the stuff you've written is poorly informed or just wrong. In the end if you mess and modify your Windows installation, you will get problems. If you run an old version of Windows you lose the benefit of years of progress, and yes get issues.

If you disagree with the way Microsoft is developing the OS then Linux may be the best choice for you
Except that Kodi is *the only* program that ask for having all (it doesn't seem to be just about KB2670838) the Windows updates *but only for installing, Kodi actually works without that ridiculous 'install all'* -just like basically all programs in the known universe-. But sure, we we are the "poorly informed or just wrong"1, while being able to install all programs except Kodi.

@gardenzombie : why did you deleted your previous long excellent post #279? please consider adding it again...

1. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2628772
This all seems very, very odd.

I have an updated Win 7 platform that I've done not a thing to in terms of modifying. Wouldn't know how if I wanted to.

Neither v17.3 nor 17.4 will install because, supposedly, the installers believe this Win update is missing.

KB6708 WAS installed.

I tried uninstalling the update and then installing it again, but Kodi remains unsatisfied.

Does this mean Kodi is no longer of any use to people running anything other than Win 10?
(2017-05-29, 23:39)Gobberwart Wrote:
(2017-05-29, 23:21)nogginthenog Wrote: The 'fix' or 'resolution' that you last two posters are waiting for is to fix your own broken Windows installation.

At no point was there anything actually wrong with the Kodi installer. From the outset, all the people who could not install were people with Windows that was messed up in one way or another. (I am not passing the buck here: I was one of them.)

However, back when this thread began, the Kodi installer was giving some people misleading error messages about the exact nature of the problem with their Windows installation. After detailed discussion on this thread, the Kodi installer was improved to give better indications about what was wrong with Windows and to use the most reliable ways possible to check for the presence of the necessary Windows update, KB2670838.

I cannot speak for the developers, but I can say, as one of the people who reviewed the relevant code in detail, that in my opinion the installer is now as good as it possibly can be. Therefore in my view it is highly unlikely that the installer will be altered again regarding this issue. After all, the issue is with your Windows installation, and no software installer can be expected to fix Windows problems on the fly.

If you are being told by Windows Update that KB2670838 is installed, but told by Kodi that it is not, you have a broken Windows system, not a bug in Kodi. When Kodi says KB2670838 is not installed, it is merely reporting what Windows tells it. The trouble is that one part of Windows, the Update system, tells you the KB is installed, while another part of Windows tells Kodi it is not. In this case you are almost certainly suffering from the problem that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is broken on your computer.

You then have 3 choices: (1) try to fix your broken WMI by googling for help; (2) reinstall Windows; (3) run the Kodi installer in XP compatibility mode, which will let you install Kodi, but is just a way of pretending that your system is not broken, and could leave you with video rendering problems in Kodi.

So those are the 3 ways you could try to go forward. But the one you are hoping for, namely some further changes to the Kodi installer which will endow it with magical abilities to repair Windows, is not going to happen, I believe, because it cannot.

I agree that this issue is caused by a broken windows installation. I'm not sure I agree that there's nothing kodi devs can possibly do to work around it even further, but I agree that it's not their responsibility.

With that in mind, repairing wmi in Windows 7 might be as simple as running two commands as follows...

1. Open a command prompt window with administrator rights
2. Type winmgmt /verifyrepository and hit enter
3. Type winmgmt /resetrepository and hit enter
4. Wait until these commands finish then reboot

Try that and see what happens.

If it didn't work, search google for "Windows 7 repair wmi" and follow the more detailed instructions to make a full repair.

Or reinstall windows.

Thanks, GWart. Verify & Reset were successful; restarted. Kodi installer still unhappy.
OK, I don't mean this in any disrespectful way, but the Admin response to this issue just seems like the worst "customer support" I've seen in a long time. People want to and are trying to use Kodi - some of us have for many years - and now all of a sudden can't update. And bear in mind - not all of us are coders.

This seems to be affecting a fairly large # of users, and those affected are in the long run simply going to have to migrate to some other platform if assistance isn't available. Why would Kodi Admins not want to help it's users out with this? Why, in essence, tell people to just go away?

I understand now this is some sort of fault in Windows file systems or something, not in Kodi per se (though that runs thin when the problem just popped up with v17). But why not help people WHO ARE NOT CODERS be able to use Kodi? If this is, as appears, a widespread problem --- why not a simple and clear tutorial, or some sort of macro, that helps people get their computers in a shape that Kodi can use? No one cares if it's a Kodi or a Windows fault. People simply want to be able to continue using Kodi. Kodi Admin, one would think, would want them to be able to.

Personally, I've tried the "verify repository" and "Reset Repository" suggestion, but it didn't help

Then tried to do a complete rebuild of the repository:
1. disable/stop winmgmt
2. rename wbem repository
3. enable/start winmgmt
4. Admin Cmd Prompt, nav to wbem
5. for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
6. for /f %s in ('dir /b en-us\*.mfl') do mofcomp en-us\%s

Hopefully I didn't make a type there - anyway, it both cmds appeared to work

BUT KODI STILL DOES NOT INSTALL, STILL THINKING THE WINUPDATE IS MISSING.

So ........ even if this isn't a Kodi issue per se ........... are users like me simply supposed to go away??

Like I said - I'm way not a coder, but have/am trying. Shrug?
@right.vote

I suppose the first question to ask is... what have you done to your system? According to some of your previous posts, you have had v17.x installed and operational.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2533070
My Signature
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x643