sharing files from Windows
So here's the deal : my kodi1 can see kodi2 videos and vice versa.
But although my pc1 can see shared videos on BOTH kodi1 and kodi2
Kodi1 or kodi2 both cannot see the videos on pc1, even though they DO see the folder structure, (just not the videos)

But my android phone DOES see the videos on pc1 and kodi1 and kodi2

What I infer from this, is that the share settings on the pc must be ok, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see the videos from an Android mobile device. But why can't I see them from kodi1 or kodi2??

The only workaround I have found is to transfer the videos from pc1 to kodi1. Which is then accessible to every device.

Running libreelec 8 on both kodi and Windows 7 64 bit on pc
How are you trying to access the PC from KODI?

SMB, NFS, etc etc.

I use SMB 99% of the time never had issues.
(2017-03-23, 20:13)jpdraven Wrote: How are you trying to access the PC from KODI?

SMB, NFS, etc etc.

I use SMB 99% of the time never had issues.

I just enter network smb and then my sub storage device. I can see the folder structure. Tv , movies , music etc. But the folders are empty. Avi files mostly, which Definitley work on kodi because when I transfer them from the pc to kodi. They play.
Quite likely an ownership or permissions issue.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes could be ownership issues. Are the files marked as hidden if you right click the folder in Windows and choose Properties?
This is weird to me because I use SMB with my Nvidia Shield TV, WD LIVE TV, and BOXEE BOX with zero issues. You should not have to share the folder either.

Now, this may sound stupid I know but HOW did you add the SMB Share? There is more than one way to do it via KODI.

Did you just go to SYSTEM- FILE MANAGER- ADD SOURCE and manually add it EX: smb://192.168.1.xxx/folder name?

Try SYSTEM- FILE MANAGER- ADD SOURCE- BROWSE from the Add File Source Window and see if Windows Network Share (SMB) works to auto find the share on your PC.

ALSO if you choose Add network Location you can chose Windows network (SMB) and manually add a username and password, which you may need to do in order to get read/write access to the files.

In the username and password fields try the account login to your Windows PC and the Password if you have one and see if this corrects it.

Sometimes this works because you are accessing the folder as your Windows User account. Sometimes it doesn't without a password, I can't remember if KODI wants a password to be set in this field.

Let us know! Good luck
On my home network I just set permissions on shared folders to "full control" for "Everyone".

scott s..
Not sure if this is the right thread... but I have a Google Nexus player, was able to access via SMB, my network connected harddrive via Kodi, for music, movies, etc... I just bought the Mi Box, trying to do the same and now getting an error "Error 2: Share Not Available". Any thoughts? It works great on my Nexus, but the Mi box, I can't figure out.

Thanks
(2017-03-24, 23:24)jpdraven Wrote: Yes could be ownership issues. Are the files marked as hidden if you right click the folder in Windows and choose Properties?
This is weird to me because I use SMB with my Nvidia Shield TV, WD LIVE TV, and BOXEE BOX with zero issues. You should not have to share the folder either.

Now, this may sound stupid I know but HOW did you add the SMB Share? There is more than one way to do it via KODI.

Did you just go to SYSTEM- FILE MANAGER- ADD SOURCE and manually add it EX: smb://192.168.1.xxx/folder name?

Try SYSTEM- FILE MANAGER- ADD SOURCE- BROWSE from the Add File Source Window and see if Windows Network Share (SMB) works to auto find the share on your PC.

ALSO if you choose Add network Location you can chose Windows network (SMB) and manually add a username and password, which you may need to do in order to get read/write access to the files.

In the username and password fields try the account login to your Windows PC and the Password if you have one and see if this corrects it.

Sometimes this works because you are accessing the folder as your Windows User account. Sometimes it doesn't without a password, I can't remember if KODI wants a password to be set in this field.

Let us know! Good luck

(2017-03-25, 02:58)scott967 Wrote: On my home network I just set permissions on shared folders to "full control" for "Everyone".

scott s..

Not sure if I fully understand.
I add the share from the files section and then navigate to where the folder is in this case.: files>network>smb>192.168>passport drive>movies with a second share being "series" in the same passport drive.

Don't forget this works on my android smartphone ruining es file explorer network navigation; I can see and run all files. I understand you think it might be ownership? I can't see how this is possible as it works on Android so why not on kodi, which btw is Ethernet , my android device is wireless.

Fortunately I am experienced with networks so I created the share by right clicking the relevant folder to share it. I then went into share permissions and added the users "everyone" and "network"
I left the permissions at "read" couldn't see why they needed full control? And as I stated, android doesn't seem to have a problem.
Next I went into security to see if the folder was inheriting some permissions from a parent folder, in this case it would be the profile folder, in this case John doe>downloads where downloads is the share, john doe is the Windows logon. I found this bit tricky as there are two boxes, inherit from parent, which I UNCHECKED and another set permissions to CHILD objects (which I think means folders inside "downloads" I CHECKED this box.

Is this sufficient? I would think so but it doesn't show up on kodi, obviously, but I can view kodi from the pc and all files.
Add new user @ Windows (local files) User- Kodi, Pwd- Kodi (Not user name "User@Home.com")

System > LibreELEC > Services > Samba (SMB)

You must use "Password Authentication", Default "libreelec, libreelec"

File Manager > navigate to whatever you shared on Windows using the new user settings from Windows.
(2017-03-25, 17:25)ileenback Wrote: Add new user @ Windows (local files) User- Kodi, Pwd- Kodi (Not user name "User@Home.com")

System > LibreELEC > Services > Samba (SMB)

You must use "Password Authentication", Default "libreelec, libreelec"

File Manager > navigate to whatever you shared on Windows using the new user settings from Windows.

Add a new user account on Windows? I won't be doing that I've disabled multi user logins as well as other things which I never use, to speed up,the pc.
Smb is already activated on kodi.

I can't see how password authentication on kodi, will help me view files on a pc. Not when accessing kodi isn't a problem at all, from pc, another kodi device, or any android device. If I put password activation on kodi, then I have to always type passwords on other devices, even if it does make my offices accessible from kodi, the inconvenience if using passwords on all the other devices, renders the convenience of accessing the pc sort of useless, so I won't be doing that,
thanks anyway
I've never heard anyone disabling user accts as a method for increasing computer speed. I'd also be curious what other things you've disabled ?

SMB- Kodi to another Kodi (Even running Debian Kodi without PVR) won't require authentication, it's only Microsoft shares (Security Policies) that needs to see Kodi using authentication practices.

Think of it as going to a party without an invitation. Doorman (Microsoft) says "Without an invite from this party, you can look inside, but you're not coming in". Sometimes, even with an invitation, you still need to be on their guest list....(usr profiles)

Because you're unwilling to try it you'll not see that Kodi (File Manager) saves Samba user/password.
(2017-03-25, 20:54)ileenback Wrote: I've never heard anyone disabling user accts as a method for increasing computer speed. I'd also be curious what other things you've disabled ?

SMB- Kodi to another Kodi (Even running Debian Kodi without PVR) won't require authentication, it's only Microsoft shares (Security Policies) that needs to see Kodi using authentication practices.

Think of it as going to a party without an invitation. Doorman (Microsoft) says "Without an invite from this party, you can look inside, but you're not coming in". Sometimes, even with an invitation, you still need to be on their guest list....(usr profiles)

Because you're unwilling to try it you'll not see that Kodi (File Manager) saves Samba user/password.

ok don't use multiple logins so disabling multi user logins will decrease cpu load. I know what I'm doing with Windows. Kodi is the problem, not Windows.
Every other device can see every other device, 4 different smartphones, 1 tablet 2 pcs and 2 laptops can,see each other and browse files only kodi is unable to see what's on the pc.
That tells me it's kodi not the pc.

No I'm,not willing to enable a service I have no use for, and then every single device has to enter a password to access kodi and my pc because this (might) make kodi see the pc files.

That's like building a well,on the hill because my tap is rusty.
The share permissions on the pc are fine, so are the security settings and ownership, or every device (except for kodi) won't work flawlessly
WOW! Sorry I couldn't help you.
Why don't you just get a proper operating system to serve your files?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-25, 16:26)redkoatz Wrote:
(2017-03-24, 23:24)jpdraven Wrote: Yes could be ownership issues. Are the files marked as hidden if you right click the folder in Windows and choose Properties?

Let us know! Good luck

(2017-03-25, 02:58)scott967 Wrote: On my home network I just set permissions on shared folders to "full control" for "Everyone".

scott s..

Not sure if I fully understand.
I add the share from the files section and then navigate to where the folder is in this case.: files>network>smb>192.168>passport drive>movies with a second share being "series" in the same passport drive.

Don't forget this works on my android smartphone ruining es file explorer network navigation; I can see and run all files. I understand you think it might be ownership? I can't see how this is possible as it works on Android so why not on kodi, which btw is Ethernet , my android device is wireless.

Fortunately I am experienced with networks so I created the share by right clicking the relevant folder to share it. I then went into share permissions and added the users "everyone" and "network"
I left the permissions at "read" couldn't see why they needed full control? And as I stated, android doesn't seem to have a problem.
Next I went into security to see if the folder was inheriting some permissions from a parent folder, in this case it would be the profile folder, in this case John doe>downloads where downloads is the share, john doe is the Windows logon. I found this bit tricky as there are two boxes, inherit from parent, which I UNCHECKED and another set permissions to CHILD objects (which I think means folders inside "downloads" I CHECKED this box.

Is this sufficient? I would think so but it doesn't show up on kodi, obviously, but I can view kodi from the pc and all files.

Kodi allows you to add an SMB Share in more than one way. That's what I was referring to. There is auto discovery and manual ways to add SMB Shares. Try Zeroconf browser see if that works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sharing files from Windows0