Illegal instruction: 4
Hi All,

Just trying to update my Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo running Lion 10.7.5) from Jarvis to Krypton 17.1 but it exits on launch without so much as an error message when launched from the Finder. If I launch it from terminal it reports "Illegal instruction: 4".

Some googling suggests that means the executable was compiled without the necessary compile time options (-mmacosx-version-min=10.7) to support older versions of Mac OS back as far as 10.7:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14268...ion-min-10

Is this an oversight or does Krypton no longer officially support Mac OS X Lion despite the Wiki saying it does ?

Updating to a later version of Mac OS X is not an option for me, Lion is the latest supported by the hardware.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Krypton requires at least osx 10.8
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
No oversight - we use api that is only supported in 10.8 and newer
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Well that sucks.

What API requires yet another OS X version bump to 10.8 ? Jarvis bumped the requirements from Snow Leopard to Lion, now Krypton bumps it to Mountain Lion. Can I expect future versions to keep bumping the OS X requirements every major release ? Not mention of the new requirements on the Wiki or in the release notes as far as I could see.

This makes my perfectly good Kodi Mac more or less useless unless I stay with Jarvis. So I guess I will be staying permanently on Jarvis.Confused

The irony is I could install Windows 7 or Linux on the same Mac hardware and run Krypton just fine, so all this bumping of minimum OS version seems a bit unnecessary. It's certainly not a hardware limitation.
Sounds like you are running an older mini perhaps 2010 or older. If so, most likely, due to the hardware, hardware acceleration will not work and the CPU will pretty much run full bore even if you were to update to a later OS. At this point in time concerning kodi, the best version would be 16.1 if hardware acceleration is important. I run a Mac mini mid 2010 with El Capitan and kodi 16.1. 17.1 will not work with hardware acceleration and my older hardware.
I'm not sure what you think hardware acceleration has to do with support for Lion being dropped - it is a 2007 Mac Mini (it's in my signature) and hardware acceleration has never been supported in Kodi on this hardware.

I've been running Kodi on the same Mac using every version since Frodo and it is more than fast enough to software decode anything I want to play. (It will play a 50Mbps H264 blu-ray rip flawlessly)

I was just wondering if there was a genuine and unavoidable reason why support for Lion was dropped, or whether it was just "easier" to not have to bother about supporting older versions, or using newer API's conditionally at runtime. The problem is on Mac OS a lot of older but still perfectly good hardware cannot upgrade to later versions of Mac OS. Every time the OS X version requirements are bumped, a lot of good hardware is left behind.

I'd also make the observation that Lion came out in July 2011, two years after Windows 7 - which is still supported by Kodi. Just saying.
If you are done with your rant ...

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/27a0...ff0dd77efb

The switch from VDA to VTB made this change neccessary. I know VTB is limited ATM in regard on hardware it works but:
1. This is the way Apple wants us to do it
2. VTB is now 100% shared code between ios, tvos and osx
3. VTB is maintained by the FFMPEG guys which mormally is a good thing
4. You really think we bump deployment targets just for fun - do you?

Also to add to your windows comparison.

Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 - counts to 3 last versions
Osx 10.8 - 10.12 - i count last 5 versions here
Ios 6.0 - 10.x - 5 versions too here.

Granted the missing wiki info is an issue - but nobody is volunteering atm for maintaining the wiki in general - obviously the community isn't either...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2017-03-28, 12:27)Memphiz Wrote: If you are done with your rant ...
Not a rant. Just expressing frustration.
Quote:https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/27a0...ff0dd77efb

The switch from VDA to VTB made this change neccessary. I know VTB is limited ATM in regard on hardware it works but:
1. This is the way Apple wants us to do it
2. VTB is now 100% shared code between ios, tvos and osx
3. VTB is maintained by the FFMPEG guys which mormally is a good thing
4. You really think we bump deployment targets just for fun - do you?
So what you're saying is that changing from one hardware acceleration API to another forces an OS version bump - even when the hardware that is no longer supported due to the OS version bump didn't support VDA acceleration in the first place ? And there is no way to simply detect hardware acceleration support at runtime and make use of the Libraries if present but fall back to software rendering if not supported ? (which was all the older hardware supported anyway) Any Mac from about 2007 onwards is fast enough to do perfectly good software decoding and has done for the last several versions of Kodi.

It seems a bit short sighted to exclude that hardware from running at all to implement a new API that not many Mac's can make use of in the first place.
Quote:Also to add to your windows comparison.

Win 7, Win 8, Win 10 - counts to 3 last versions
Osx 10.8 - 10.12 - i count last 5 versions here
Ios 6.0 - 10.x - 5 versions too here.
False comparison - Apple (for better or worse) release minor OS versions on a yearly basis, changes that I would argue are more at a service pack level not a whole new OS. Microsoft only released a major change every few years, so of course there are less version bumps. The fact remains that Windows 7 is from 2009 and OS X Lion is from 2011. This is what matters from a hardware deprecation perspective, especially when Apple deprecate older hardware with each OS version in ways that is difficult to hack around.
Quote:Granted the missing wiki info is an issue - but nobody is volunteering atm for maintaining the wiki in general - obviously the community isn't either...
I'm curious to know how the community would find out that OS X Lion is no longer supported to update the Wiki in the first place ? Surely system requirements are something that only those devs who are working on the code would know about initially, or at least those that are following alpha testing or following the git repository. When a change is made to the code to drop support for older OS versions that information has to get out somehow. To expect the general community to know about this to update the wiki seems unlikely.
Well ok - and what should i say now in your opinion? And yes - we needed to bump the api to make use of ffmpeg integrated vtb acceleration. There is no official way to do those stuff at runtime - its not how apple land works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Illegal instruction: 40