Release context menu manage tags
here is an addon that will put a new item under the manage context menu for movies and tvshows.

my motivation was to separate our massive collections into 4 sections, for the wife, kid, me, and the whole family. the current system is far too cumbersome. i built this for me, but perhaps others might like it too.

what it does
- pulls a list of tags currently in the db
( this implies you have all the tags you need already in place )
- compares that with those of the item currently selected
- presents a multi-select box to modify the selection
- saves your selections back into the DB

TODO
- perhaps add the ability to create new tags ?

grab it from the repo (context menu > manageTags) or have a look at the source

PS. this is a true testament to the Infinite monkey theorem or my google-fu. i am not a python guru, nor even a novice, but through trail and error i made it work. please be gentle with the constructive criticism Big Grin

17.04.07 - v0.0.4 - now available in the repo
17.04.08 - v0.0.5 - (nothing new / style fix) krypton requires icon & fanArt listed in addon.xml
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
Not sure how this differs from creating Nodes using tags?
(2017-03-29, 07:25)PatK Wrote: Not sure how this differs from creating Nodes using tags?

that is step 1. you have to create them. this is about managing what is in them in a better way. instead of going to library > tags > edit > and sifting through a multi-select (which in our case has ~1500 movies)... this allows you to add/remove (multiple) tags from the context menu for the current item.

the typical use case looks like this
  • wife: this looks like a nice movie
  • me: not interested
  • context > manage > tags > wife
  • me: you can watch it when im at work
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
Nice, cruising my collection with ability to add to an existing collection tag is very useful. I did note a settings, select tag or not, is that a switch to turn off the capability or just eliminate it from the context menu?

Oops forgot to say Thank-You
eek. i used the context.trailer as a template/starting point. which has 1 option 'open in window or fullScreen'. i reused the string-key in the multi-select title, but forgot to remove the resources/settings.xml ... it is now gone.
...thank you for this !

Exactly what I looked for, as you already know Smile (thank you to post where it was discussed)

I'll try right now Smile

Thank you once again.
hi yall. ive added nothing new, but done some cleanup under the hood and made it more kryptonian

v0.0.3
  • added the <news> tag in addon.xml and removed the changelog.txt
  • moved fanrart and icon into resources
  • make better dictionaries
Awesome.

Nice work.
Thank you.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

My wife and I use tags the same way (we actually have top-level menu item's for "Shows we're both watching", "Shows I'm watching", and "Shows she's watching") and I've long wondered why we couldn't just set the flags from the show's context menu.

This will do nicely.
you're welcome. that's exactly how we operate here too. its made life better.

the addon stats site says its been grabbed 3754 times
... so i guess there are people out there who find this useful
Where / how do I have to create those tags?
Windows 10 Home, 64bit | Newest stable Kodi in portable mode
http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags
Many thanks for the link!
Windows 10 Home, 64bit | Newest stable Kodi in portable mode
Just discovered your addon, great work.
Do you know how I might copy/transfer the newly created tags to another kodi systems?
Thank you

Edit: sorry just realized this is in development do you have a thread in addon support i did not find one. thank you
(2017-12-31, 18:09)mxlance Wrote: Just discovered your addon, great work.
Do you know how I might copy/transfer the newly created tags to another kodi systems?
Thank you
you are welcome. my main motivation was a better way to manage my wife & kids sections ... and it worked, so i share. tags are in your library; there are a few different ways to sync them across multiple systems. ( i use the 1st )
  • have all machines point to 1 centralised database 
  • export your library (single file or NFO) > import on the other machine
  • copy the video database to the other machine
  • look at some of the other addons 
    i think i saw one the other day that can maintain trakt.tv lists as kodi tags 

(2017-12-31, 18:09)mxlance Wrote: Edit: sorry just realized this is in development do you have a thread in addon support i did not find one. thank you
yeah, i don't have a support thread for this its been almost a year and things are pretty quite, so not sure its necessary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
context menu manage tags2