Kodi 18 - Music Library Development Roadmap - One Man's Plan

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
jjd-uk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2017-06-12 09:15)DaveBlake Wrote:  Thanks for try this out, sorry for the lack of accurate instructions. I hope to add a better UI for this option before v18 is finally released.

How best artist names are shown when using sort name is an interesting question. I opted for still showing name e.g. "Jean Sibelius" rather than "Sibelius, Jean" as being used for sorting. The down side to this is that the SHFT+Letter key press still moves to the first letter of the name.

Would people prefer to see "Sibelius, Jean" ? Should that be an option too?

With the introduction of Artists in addition to Artist I thought if you had both the db entry was taken from Artists and then Artist is used for display. So you could have:

Artist: Sibelius, Jean
Artists: Jean Sibelius

Really must find the time to play with some of newer things.
(This post was last modified: 2017-06-12 12:01 by jjd-uk.)
find quote
DaveBlake Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2017-06-12 11:59)jjd-uk Wrote:  With the introduction of Artists in addition to Artist I thought if you had both the db entry was taken from Artists and then Artist is used for display. So you could have:

Artist: Sibelius, Jean
Artists: Jean Sibelius

Really must find the time to play with some of newer things.
While it is true that if you tagged in that way then the artist would be displayed for that album and songs as "Sibelius, Jean", it would take a lot of messing with tags to achieve that. Much easier to have "display sortname rather than name" as an option, then users could have the "Sibelius, Jean" when they want it without retagging.

And do find that time to explore Smile
find quote
bsoriano Offline
Donor
Dave,

Just a heads up that as of June 14th, Leia changed the way addon settings are handled, so the DialogAddonSettings will be unusable for any body that is using your test build with a skin that has been updated to reflect that change. See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...id2603091.

Regards,

Bart
find quote
DaveBlake Offline
Team-Kodi Member
Done a little tidy-up, split off stuff here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=317602

Thanks Bart for the heads up on addons.

First post is updated with my incredibly slow progress (lost in scraper-land at the moment). A new test build is available TestScraping

This greatly reduces the 503 errors or gaps in results when scraping artists or albums (only global server issues should cause failures). Useful testing for me would be if some of you could do a clean install (use portable mode so your setup is not effected) and try out adding a music source with "Fetch additional info on update" enabled so that scraping happens immediately after scanning. Use the latest versions of the Universal album and artist scrapers please too.
find quote
DaveBlake Offline
Team-Kodi Member
Done a tidy up, split off scraping phase #1 changes testing feedback and questions to Testing scraping changes and feedback Thanks to those involved.

This is now merged into the current nightly.
find quote
docwra Offline
Fan
Great work!

[Image: cook.png] Formally chef Zag
find quote
DaveBlake Offline
Team-Kodi Member
Thanks Zag, but there is lots more to do, Phase #1 is just a start.
find quote
DaveBlake Offline
Team-Kodi Member
PR to fix change of information provider for albums and artists here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12597
a) Setting artist or album info provider selectively that works!
b) Facility to set for multiple artists or albums
c) Facility to set default from within library, and to reset for artists and albums

Going to want testers, anyone want to be selective about which parts of their music collection they scrape additional data for and where it comes from? The old functionality was so broken I doubt it was used.
find quote
scott967 Online
Posting Freak
Test build from Jenkins? my compile attempts with CMake still failing Sad

scott s.
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-01 00:32 by scott967.)
find quote
bsoriano Offline
Donor
(2017-07-31 20:27)DaveBlake Wrote:  PR to fix change of information provider for albums and artists here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12597
a) Setting artist or album info provider selectively that works!
b) Facility to set for multiple artists or albums
c) Facility to set default from within library, and to reset for artists and albums

Going to want testers, anyone want to be selective about which parts of their music collection they scrape additional data for and where it comes from? The old functionality was so broken I doubt it was used.

Dave,

Thank you for this!!! I have been using it extensively in the last couple of days. I scanned my whole library again into Kodi (226k songs, 2800+ album artists, 16k+ albums), and the album artist count was what I expected. I started working with artists, and, as expected, a lot were not found by Universal Artist Scraper. So, for a lot of artists where I do have an NFO with appropriate information (including MBID for the most part), and a thumb and fanart, I changed the local provider and refreshed, getting just what I wanted. I did this for individual artists first, and then set local provider as default and refreshed all artists. The results were as expected, so this is working fine!

It will take me a while, though, to get every single one of my album artists to show info and images. I will chip away at it slowly, but surely.

Regards,

Bart
find quote
DaveBlake Offline
Team-Kodi Member
Thanks for testing and feedback @bsoriano

Scott found a glitch for me relating to changing info provider settings for just those artists/albums selected by a smart playlist or filter. Now fixed, and a new test build is waiting:
KodiSetup-20170809-a130a8e139-InfoSettings
find quote