Gsoc2017 Proposal : kodi messenger
Hi,
my proposal link is click here .

suggestion always welcome

Thanks.

Regards,
Dhaval.
From your description, isn't this mostly already done by services like trakt.tv?
I think he might mean a feature similar to that which Boxee had for its accounts which was to setup all media scrobbling from one webpage under account detail.

I remember that you could login to Boxee website that then connect your account to Facebook, Twitter, Last.FM, and more and it would post what you watch/listen to on Boxee. And also Plex have something similar for its account configuration where you login to their website to setup your account for both scrobblers, meta data scrapers, as well as common content providers like YouTube which is then used to access trailers and more. Plex at least cache your username and password for those services which is very nice as you do not need to login to all those on all your Plex clients.

I believe the point with a function like that would that you would have a kodi.tv online account (which we all really already have with out Kodi community accounts) and then you would have the option to login to kodi.tv website to configure your account with usernames and passwords for third-party services which are either offered nativly or through addons in Kodi. Kodi.tv website would have a database which stores/cache your third-party account login information for scrobblers, metadata, and common content providers. When you then login to your Kodi media player client you could get the option (so not mandatory) to login with your kodi.tv online account and that way your Kodi media player client get all your third-party account logins without you having to enter all those again.

If something like that is his idea around a kind of kodi.tv online account then I think that it could be good (non-mandatory) option which could even be expanded to become much more.

Or it could be that he means something like my other idea for a media scrobbling integration framework with unified frontend GUI & scrobbler addons API:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=130917

Or he could mean something completly different(?)
big question is, who is going to maintain such a system and taking care to meet all local data privacy laws once we start storing personalized profiles?
(2017-04-03, 22:43)da-anda Wrote: big question is, who is going to maintain such a system and taking care to meet all local data privacy laws once we start storing personalized profiles?
Keeping within those regulations for a SSO (Single Sign-On) service provided by the XBMC Foundation / Team-Kodi should not be too hard as you would not violate any privacy laws if you in practice only offer logins via shared authentication schemes (like OAuth and OpenID) to some specific sites services that support those shared authentication schemes, which means that Kodi would not actually store any "personal data" at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sign-on

Most sites and services offers shared authentication schemes include OAuth, OpenID, OpenID Connect and Facebook Connect, which Kodi could use, which would mean that Kodi does not actually have to store usernames and passwords. Nor do you have to keep users "personal data" such as real-name and home-address in that SSO (Single Sign-On) service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

"OAuth is an open standard for authorization, commonly used as a way for Internet users to authorize websites or applications to access their information on other websites but without giving them the passwords. This mechanism is used by companies such as Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter to permit the users to share information about their accounts with third party applications or websites."

"To be precise, OAuth is not strictly an authentication scheme but an authorization protocol: it provides a way for the users to grant access on their own behalf to websites or applications to other websites or applications using some access keys. The main purpose of the protocol is to exchange the access credentials required for the authentication and not the authentication itself."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

"OpenID is an open standard and decentralized authentication protocol. Promoted by the non-profit OpenID Foundation, it allows users to be authenticated by co-operating sites (known as Relying Parties or RP) using a third party service, eliminating the need for webmasters to provide their own ad hoc login systems, and allowing users to log in to multiple unrelated websites without having to have a separate identity and password for each."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID_Connect

"OpenID Connect (OIDC) is an authentication layer on top of OAuth 2.0, an authorization framework. The standard is controlled by the OpenID Foundation."

What is not legal within EU/EES (who as far as I know are most strict) is storing storing "personal data" such as real-name and home-address in one and the same databas or make it simple to cross-check different databases offered by the same function.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/

The basic priciple of those laws is just to prevent identity-theft and to protect individuals personal information such as real-name, home-address, credit-card/banking-information, medical data and political/religious-beliefs.

Biggest restriction is is really that you are not allowed to store "personal data" of EU/EES citizens on servers/storage in countries outside the EU, which is a restriction that I don't think any other county have, so if you are really worried about EU/EES privacy laws and want to cover all basis just in case then a simple solution is to also have the physicial SSO (Single Sign-On) server/storage be located in a country within the EU (in a EU country), as then no EU-citizen "personal data" would be stored outside the EU/EES.
the suggested service will not only need some SSO, but it will be necessary to connect profiles, store information about what the user is currently watching in order to tell his friends OR store the IP addresses of the Kodi clients in order to send push notifications (having millions of Kodi installations polling every 5 sec for new data is a no-go). I'm not really sure we would want to do that. Also, such a service has nothing to do with Kodi itself - it could be done by a third party and an add-on.
The lack of replies from the student tells me we might be thinking too hard on this one.
Would a simple python add-on using something like MQTT do the job?

Client ID generated from MAC + Random().
This ID becomes MQTT topic.
Give ID to friend.
Their add-on subscribes to that topic.

It would just publish the IMDB ID of the movie being played.
Then the receiver could fetch the movie info.

Each client could optionally set a nickname and an online image avatar URL.
The first time another client subs it can receive this data and use instead of the "Client ID" in the gui.
However, the topic always remains as the unique anonymous ID so nicknames etc don't need to be unique.

Could be used for any sort of messages (whats playing, SMS etc)
(2017-04-02, 23:45)natethomas Wrote: From your description, isn't this mostly already done by services like trakt.tv?

agree with you but if kodi give update with this messengers then it is better because people mostly may be not aware of trakt.tv and my goal is to make very communication between peoples.
(2017-04-05, 22:08)da-anda Wrote: the suggested service will not only need some SSO, but it will be necessary to connect profiles, store information about what the user is currently watching in order to tell his friends OR store the IP addresses of the Kodi clients in order to send push notifications (having millions of Kodi installations polling every 5 sec for new data is a no-go). I'm not really sure we would want to do that. Also, such a service has nothing to do with Kodi itself - it could be done by a third party and an add-on.

my main goal is to not use third party but kodi have it's own messengers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gsoc2017 Proposal : kodi messenger1