AAC Volume Fluctuations
Hi everyone I'm hoping you could all help me out

I'm running Kodi 17.1 on a Windows machine,
My media is stored on a nas,
I use optical cable for audio to AVR

My problem started once I upgraded from v16.x to v17

When I play a movie encoded with AC3 6ch Audio everything is fine
When I play a movie encoded with AAC 6ch Audio there is a strange volume fluctuation that makes watching impossible

The only way I can solve this problem is to disable ENABLE Dolby Digital transcode.
But if this setting is not enabled I cannot replay 6ch audio that is not encoded in DTS or AC3

Can anybody help with this problem please
HELP
I'm not the only with this problem - I just spent an hour messing around trying to find what is causing it.
It looks like AAC is the consistent problem - HUGE difference in audio volume, really really quiet.

Has anyone else seen this?
Good / working files (according to VLC codec info section)

A52 (aka Ac3)
Stereo 48000hz
192kb/s

A52 Audio
3F2R/LFE
48000hz
384kb/s

TERRIBLE / broken, one of these files in particular is so quiet even at MAXIMUM volume, it's not usable - it's been like this since I upgraded to 17, I thought it was my fault, until I found this thread.

MPEG AAC (mp4a)
Stereo 48000hz
VERY quiet

MPEG AAC
AAC 5.1
44100hz

MPEG AAC
3F2R/LFE (5.1?)
48,0000hz
Have struck what seems to be an identical problem on a new Kodi installation (Wetek Core / LibreElec 8.02 / Kodi 17.x) connected to my audio receiver optically.

Had previously half-perceived odd volume changes which made me wonder if a 'late night' DRC option was selected somewhere.

Then yesterday I noticed variations and drop-outs which could not be mistaken. Audio would fluctuate and even fade almost completely out on a 6Ch AAC track. These fluctuations would appear at different moments if playback was restarted (suggesting the issue is not baked into the stream) but continued to occur. Restarting playback generally helps but only for a while.

UPDATE: Seems in my case this is caused by the Transcode to AC3 option, problem goes away (along with surround sound) if I disable this.
Hello guys.

I recently updated from Jarvis to Krypton (17.6) and have the same problem. Also have the system connected via optical cable. This didn't happen before... Is there a solution?

Thank you
Anyone else still having the issue?
(2018-12-10, 09:55)AbRASiON Wrote: Anyone else still having the issue?

I did a clean install (windows etc.) and the problem has gone...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC Volume Fluctuations1