Win Kodi 17.1 Installation problem with KB971644 Vista x86
Question 
System : Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
System Type: 32Bit
RAM: 3.0 GB

GFX: AMD Radeon HD 5700
Driver: AMD Catalyst Display Driver version 13.251

I'm trying to install Kodi 17.1 for Windows, but keep getting this error message.

"Platform Update for Windows (KB971644) is required.
Download and install Platform Update for Windows then run setup
again."

As you can see from the screenshot, the required update was installed successfully, but the error continues to appear. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Try http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/K...rypton.exe
It's 17.1 with a change for the Windows Update detection and a few other fixes for Kodi.
Thumbs Up 
(2017-04-04, 21:43)Rechi Wrote: Try http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/K...rypton.exe
It's 17.1 with a change for the Windows Update detection and a few other fixes for Kodi.

Thanks Rechi, I downloaded and ran the installer you linked, but have the same results.

I am once again presented with the error:

"Platform Update for Windows (KB971644) is required.
Download and install Platform Update for Windows then run setup
again."

After closing the Error Window, The browser than auto launches to load the following site:

"https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971644/description-of-the-platform-update-for-windows-server-2008-and-the-platform-update-for-windows-vista"

Which points to the following Updates: for Vista SP2 32bit

KB971512
KB971513
KB971514
KB960362

As I understand it the above updates were rolled into KB971644

I downloaded each of the above mentioned Updates and attempted to install, just to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

Each presented me with the message:
"The update does not apply to your system."

I decided to try and run the Original Kodi 17.1 Installer in compatibility mode, "Windows XP SP2 as suggested in another similar thread.

The installer starts with no error and proceeds to install as expected.
Certainly not the ideal solution, but seems to work as a workaround until a proper solution can be found.
Execute the following in a command line. If it doesn't output KB971644 windows thinks the update isn't installed.
Code:
wmic qfe get Hotfixid | findstr "^KB971644[^0-9]"
(2017-04-04, 23:04)Rechi Wrote: Execute the following in a command line. If it doesn't output KB971644 windows thinks the update isn't installed.
Code:

I tried the above command and it indeed failed to output anything for the KB971644, despite windows update indicating it was successful, and the system shows no updates are available.

It did however return results for each of the hotfixes mentioned in the link for KB971644.

As I understand it, having all these hotfixes applied as described in the following link would leave the system meeting all the requirements of having KB971644 installed.
I'm having the same exact problem. Vista is updated with the service pack, but I am still unable to install KODI 17.1 without getting this error.
(2017-04-16, 04:15)frankft Wrote: I'm having the same exact problem. Vista is updated with the service pack, but I am still unable to install KODI 17.1 without getting this error.

Have you already tried http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/K...rypton.exe?
If it still doesn't work be a bit more precise what error message you get.
I just tried again directly from the link above. Got this message. Platform update for Windows (KB971644) is required. It is already installed.
(2017-04-16, 15:24)frankft Wrote: I just tried again directly from the link above. Got this message. Platform update for Windows (KB971644) is required. It is already installed.

Execute the following in a command line. If it doesn't output KB971644 windows thinks the update isn't installed.
Code:
Nothing comes up when I do that. It goes back to C:\Users\xxxxx>
same issue with windows 7 trying to update from 16.1
Sorry to hijack your support thread, but why are you using a 3GB machine running Vista? Even if it is for the kids? It must be painfully slow surely?

...edit:

...and just to clarify my point, this isn't some kind of mocking post - perhaps the community can help?
(2017-04-17, 18:50)MikhailCompo Wrote: Sorry to hijack your support thread, but why are you using a 3GB machine running Vista? Even if it is for the kids? It must be painfully slow surely?

...edit:

...and just to clarify my point, this isn't some kind of mocking post - perhaps the community can help?

It actually runs perfectly fine. I've had zero issues and everything I've played through kodi has been flawless. Only issue was when they changed the installer which now performs a check for certain hotfix. I see no point in wasting money on a new os license, when this system is more than capable.

As I mentioned I used compatibility mode during install to resolved my issue. Kodi runs flawlessly, not once have I had any issues with the system being slow.
Same problem here.
So.. Based on feedback, it seems the installer should be checking for the four separate updates if the rollup isn't found?

Given the flakiness of wmi, it makes me wonder why we don't just check the version of one or more of the files included in the update. If installed version >= required version, proceed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.1 Installation problem with KB971644 Vista x860