remove an artist from the music library
I had an album with bad ID3 tags when I scanned the library and now I have an artist called
[missing tags]
It has the one album in it.
I've fixed the tags, rescanned the library & cleaned the library.
The artist is still there and the album is there twice.

How can I get rid of this incorrect artist/album?

Thanks.
You could move the files to another location, do a clean library and than scan them again.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2017-04-04, 23:38)PH-SYM Wrote: You could move the files to another location, do a clean library and than scan them again.

great idea.
I'll give that a go in the AM.
Thanks.
I.ve been having this problem too. I had tried the clean library option. I have just tried removing the album/s from the unwanted album artist's folder, restarting Kodi, waiting until it rescanned, performed a clean (unwanted artist goes away! Yay!) and then replacing the suspect albums in album artist's folder. Start Kodi, clean, restart - problem is back!!! Checked tags using 2 different tagging programs (mp3tag and Jaikoz) and ensured that 'album artist' matches the folder name for the album artist.
My music collection is set up as [Base folder] Music > [Album Artist] > [Album]
Examples of problem: Blue Oyster Cult is listed twice; one just like for album artist folder and tags. The second (unwanted) listing is for the same band but spelt with an Accent symbol above the ''O". I can't find repeat of this spelling anywhere using any program.
Example 2: Booker T. & the M.G.'s as folder name, album artist and artist. No matter what, as soon as I add the suspect album (Platinum Collection), Kodi pops up with "Booker T. & The MG's (i.e. no full stops for MG).
What is making Kodi do this? I don't recall having this issue with earlier versions... how can I make the bad thing go away?
Can the coding wizards PLEASE come up with a more elegant means of correcting names in the music collection other than removing folders, rescanning, cleaning, rescanning? This is tedious (and time consuming when one has a large collection (1.4Tb). Like with video: manage > remove from library.
Having unwanted repetitions of names is causing that tiny anal-retentive part of me to climb walls... small ones, but they are annoying!
p.s. the remove albums from unwanted artist name method DID work for an example where there were no punctuation involved Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa became just Beth Hart thanks to my fiddling, so I had 2 Beth Harts listed. Remove the Beth and Joe albums, rescanned, cleaned, replaced, rescanned, all good.
Moved to music forum.

@nannup,

Could you provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, run a library update for music. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Oops. Should have guessed that I'd need a log. Log wouldn't upload first try (busy?), tried again, Kodi crashed, so I did the 'post the old logfile' thing... which is hopefully THIS:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/25380558/

P.s Further inspection of tags using dbPoweramp edit id-tag program showed that the unwanted punctuation of names was still there in artistsort fields. I made ALL fields the same (desired spelling), rescanned, cleaned etc - still double listing of album artists, one with undesirable punctuation. Weird.
(2017-08-24, 04:55)nannup Wrote: I.ve been having this problem too. I had tried the clean library option. I have just tried removing the album/s from the unwanted album artist's folder, restarting Kodi, waiting until it rescanned, performed a clean (unwanted artist goes away! Yay!) and then replacing the suspect albums in album artist's folder. Start Kodi, clean, restart - problem is back!!!
Yes it would be, the issue is with how you have tagged the music files.

Quote:Checked tags using 2 different tagging programs (mp3tag and Jaikoz) and ensured that 'album artist' matches the folder name for the album artist.
That is totally irrelevent. The music library does not use folder names, they can be whatever you like, it processes the tags to get basic song, album and artist data.

Quote:What is making Kodi do this? I don't recall having this issue with earlier versions...
I suspect the change you are seeing is that in Krypton shows song and album artists by default, previously the default setting was to show only album artists, and this is showing up the inconsitencies in the artist tag.

Quote:Examples of problem: Blue Oyster Cult is listed twice; one just like for album artist folder and tags. The second (unwanted) listing is for the same band but spelt with an Accent symbol above the ''O". I can't find repeat of this spelling anywhere using any program.
It is probably how you have spelt "Blue Oyster Cult" in the ALBUMARTISTS, ARTIST or ARTISTS tag, check this using Mp3tag, maybe show me a screen shot of the extended tag view (alt+T). Please don't just quote dbPoweramp, I need to see full output if I am to comment.

Similarly with your other example.

Quote:how can I make the bad thing go away?
Best solution is to make artist names consistent in the tagging.

But if my guess is right then you can hide this issue by disabling the "Show song and album artists" setting found under System>Media Settings>Music

Quote:Can the coding wizards PLEASE come up with a more elegant means of correcting names in the music collection other than removing folders, rescanning, cleaning, rescanning? This is tedious (and time consuming when one has a large collection (1.4Tb). Like with video: manage > remove from library.
Problems caused by bad tagging will always need to be fixed by editing the tagging. A new library management facility would not help in your case.

Having corrected the tagging a simple run of "update library" from the side blade when in the music library should fix the issue.

Quote:Having unwanted repetitions of names is causing that tiny anal-retentive part of me to climb walls... small ones, but they are annoying!
Apply that aspect of your nature to sorting out your tagging Smile
At first tagging work seems tedious, but then something happens and you can become quite addicted to getting the perfectly tagged music collection.
Dave, I spend a LOT of time checking tags, hence the use of a couple of different tagging programmes. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I didn't have this problem in earlier versions; I've been using Kodi since it was XBMC (single digit version), and I referred to the naming/tagging sections of the wiki when I first set up my library. I thought my collection WAS pretty well tagged... where a few tagging errors slip through, I rectify them and update the library. I have done this a lot trying to resolve this. As I tried to explain, I had previously discovered inconsistencies with spelling (accent in Blue Oyster Cult) that I corrected AND double-checked to ensure consistency. Here is a screenshot from mp3tag showing 2 different BOC albums. The album "Essential Blue Oyster Cult'' was the one I found had a spelling with the accent above the O. I fixed it. Same deal with the Booker T albums.
I had already disabled "Show song and album artists" in Settings> Media > Music.
Screenshots: https://snag.gy/jp27Un.jpg
https://snag.gy/DjX1PG.jpg
So "Show song and album artists" is disabled - interesting.

@nannup no insult to your tagging intended, but from experience it is just where the issue often lies. And sometimes it takes someone else to spot it, a fresh pair of eyes etc. Those are just the kind of screen shots I need thanks, but with a single song selected so I can see the individual tag values rather than "<keep>" which means that the value varies for some/every item. I think that the ARTISTS tag (note the "s") is where you need to look.

Otherwise Kodi gets artists from tags, but in some circumstances names can be overwritten by what is in NFO files. Do you have the "prefer online information" setting enabled, or any artist.nfo or album.nfo files?

Happy to work with you to find what is causing this result.
Screenshot as requested:
https://snag.gy/r8lqIm.jpg
Can't see anything there...
I don't have 'prefer online information' enabled, nor do I use any .nfo files. I have Universal album/artist scrapers enabled, as well as theAudiodb ones. Does Kodi use scraper info or artist.nfo to override the tag info? Should I try to provide .nfo files for the album that shows under the unwanted artist and set it to prefer local info for just that album?
I just checked musicbrainz (from what I understand, scrapers like to refer back to it for album artist ID's etc) and I note that IT spells the name with the same accent over the O. There is an alias set up that gives the name without the accent:
https://snag.gy/7dHG0i.jpg
The contents of the offending album's folder is just mp3s. The album artist folder has 6 other albums, all in FLAC format (my preferred format), along with a fanart.jpg and a folder.jpg... no .nfo files in any of the other folders either.
I shall try enabling 'prefer online info' tomorrow and see if that does anything...
p.s. thanks for the help, Dave! Kodi has improved in the way it handles music collections from when I first started using it, but...
(2017-08-24, 14:14)nannup Wrote: I shall try enabling 'prefer online info' tomorrow and see if that does anything...
No don't do that!!
It could only make matter worse, especially if the scraper misidentifies something (there is a flaw I have fixed in Leia)
(2017-08-24, 14:14)nannup Wrote: Does Kodi use scraper info or artist.nfo to override the tag info?
No, not when 'prefer online information' is disabled.

Quote:Should I try to provide .nfo files for the album that shows under the unwanted artist and set it to prefer local info for just that album?
No, and 'prefer online information' is a global setting, leave it disabled.

Quote:I just checked musicbrainz (from what I understand, scrapers like to refer back to it for album artist ID's etc) and I note that IT spells the name with the same accent over the O. There is an alias set up that gives the name without the accent:
It is quite likely that you got the accent name from MB into your tagging somewhere, I just did a tagging test for that album and Picard by default gave me name with accent in all places. But we just have not found where in your music files yet.

That one track the ARTISTS tag (note the "S") is fine, but it may differ on one or more of the other songs of that album as we see "<keep>" on the other screenshot where they were all selected. Check them all please.

The only funny I can see, not revelent to this issue, is that while it has one composer name it has many composersort values. Where did the other composers go? I note it is ID3 v2.3 format tagging, and that does not handle multiple values well. That could be where the composer went! It is not important here, but I do wonder if v2.3 is contributing somehow.

Quote:The contents of the offending album's folder is just mp3s. The album artist folder has 6 other albums, all in FLAC format (my preferred format), along with a fanart.jpg and a folder.jpg... no .nfo files in any of the other folders either.
Right, no NFOs fine. I prefer FLAC too Smile

You also have ID3 v1 and APE2 format tag data in that file, it could hidden there and Kodi is picking it up.

If you are not playing this music on other older media players, that can't read v2.4 tags, I suggest converting to v2.4 format (does multi value properly), and ensuring that the other formats get removed. Maybe a new trip to Picard too, get the compser tag sorted out etc.

But let's see if you can find the accent name in ARTISTS tag first.
BTW if you are going to claim ARTISTS tag is OK everywhere, then I will want to see the tags :p

Then failing that check PRODUCER tag on track 7
Dave, your info verifies my understandings and reasoning behind my chosen settings...
I've modified my tagging software preferences to reflect a preference for 2.4 id3.
I've just completed a more forensic examination of the suspect album - I use Jaikoz Pro a very powerful (but clunky) piece of software - to look at the id3 tags. Eureka moment when the offending accent was revealed in an ORIGALBUM tag: an album called "Blue Öyster Cult".
I corrected it, saved, removed the album from my collection ran Kodi, scanned, cleaned, replaced the album, scanned: NO NAUGHTY ENTRY. Something I did resolved the problem. That particular album had a lot of id3 fields that Musicbrainz had populated with all manner of garbage. They are gone now, and my tagging software is set to block the offending fields from being filled in.
Off to be Sherlock on the Booker T album....
Different tagging software has different "labels" for tags, so I can't tell what actual ID3 tag "ORIGALBUM" is. Kodi processes multiple tag formats but only specific tags, so any issue have to be in one of those, the rest of the "junk" would not make any difference.

The Booker T album issue will also be something in tags too. If you can't see it then show me the tags, and I'll see if I can. Is that mp3 as well?
For me it's MBP that is responsible for the accented O in Oyster, I have 'Best of' by Blue Oyster Club and MBP have tagged it with the accented O, but it is fine in my library after being scrapped ik version 16, 17 & 18 of Kodi. On my NAS it is stored in Artist folder 'Blue Oyster Cult' but due to the accent, a second folder has been created, probably by skinhelper, titled Blue Öyster Cult due to that name being assigned by MBP and scrapped into Kodi.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remove an artist from the music library0