remove an artist from the music library
A bit of deep digging into the offending Booker T album found a few recalcitrant tags - I exterminated them, so all is now well.
Mike_Doc, to my way of thinking, Musicbrainz is both a help and a hindrance. It has been responsible for adding a ton of unwanted ''information" to some albums in my collection (I would call it "garbage" but I'm trying hard not to be unkind),most notably in the ''genre'' and ''comments'' fields. This happens when I use Jaikoz to query a compilation album.
I did weekly shows on the local radio station, so I used Jaikoz to set songs to the year of their original release (so I could more easily put together a playlist for say 'songs of 77'. It did that sort of OK (some howling errors here and there)... certainly much quicker than checking each song in my library manually. It has been the best method I've discovered so far. Unfortunately, it opens a bloke up to the type of issues I have experienced... I had thinks tagged to my liking, but by querying MB, I unwittingly allowed Jaikoz to add garbage into the mix, which I am now having to sort out. I wish I had realised that I was allowing my tagging software to write id3 tags to my Flac files. I have now (belatedly) sorted THAT nonsense out.
Why MB insists on allowing strange things like putting uncommon accents (at least in English) into things like band/artist names is well above my pay grade, but it is annoying for a mere mortal like me.
Dave, just wondering, but s there a reason why Kodi calls on these extra tags? It doesn't seem to have the ability to show the info anywhere - like the ''Original Album" field that was causing me grief with the Blue Oyster Cult compilation... I get that people may want to use ''mood'' etc, and they can show up... but the other stuff?
Glad that you are progressing with sorting these things out.

It is not so much Musicbrainz at fault, as the script that your chosen tagging software Jaikoz is using to fetch information from their database. I use Picard to get MB id tags, and I have it set not to collect the tags such as ASIN or LANG I don't need.

(2017-08-25, 11:39)nannup Wrote: Why MB insists on allowing strange things like putting uncommon accents (at least in English) into things like band/artist names is well above my pay grade, but it is annoying for a mere mortal like me.
You have a choice what language or alias names you get from MB. But with all tagging some human intervention is sometimes necessary to get exactly what you want.

Quote:Dave, just wondering, but s there a reason why Kodi calls on these extra tags? It doesn't seem to have the ability to show the info anywhere - like the ''Original Album" field that was causing me grief with the Blue Oyster Cult compilation... I get that people may want to use ''mood'' etc, and they can show up... but the other stuff?
Every tag Kodi processes can be displayed somewhere, although it is up to the skin to show the information, and not all skins show all data. It also uses most for filtering, sorting etc. Well OK, the ARTIST and ARTISTS tags, and the ALBUMARTIST and ALBUMARTISTS tags are parsed in combination and you see the result not the individual tags values, but Kodi is not processing random extra tags that it doesn't need in the way you seem to think.

Having done some research "Original Album" tag in v2.3 is a name for the TOAL tag. Kodi does not process that tag, so whatever value it had it was not the source of the issue. Some other tag you changed fixed the problem. My (final) guess would be that it was something in the v1 format tags that were lurking unseen. Kodi does process ID3 v1 tags, and if you had the v1 artist tag with accented O conflicting with the v2.3 TPE1 (artist) tag it would have caused the result. Mixed or duplicated tag formats can cause issues, and even the tagging software may not have been able to display it fully.

Overall the source of your problems is what you used to tag with e.g. Jaikoz, it sounds like it needed configuring a bit differently. If you have done that then all will be well.

So like I said at the beginning it was all down to tagging Smile
Hopefully you can now stop climbing those "tiny walls".
I appreciate your help and the knowledge you have provided, Dave. I am now more educated in the wonderful world of tagging. Probably more educated than I really wanted to be, but about what I needed to be! You should never stop learning... a lifetime in education, with a lot of it since the early 80s involved fairly heavily in IT, taught me that: I just got reminded of it!
I guess one day clever folk will write software that does all the complex background stuff seamlessly and ''intelligently'' enough so stuff just, you know, works. I remember messing around in MS-DOS, footling around with config.sys and autoexec.bat files to get games like ''Wing Commander" to run smoothly on my PC... don't seem to have to do that so much lately!
Thanks again!
You are most welcome. Yes, never stop learning. My school days predate the PC :p

IMO the automation of tagging (or rather identifying your music) and magically making a nice library with it will always be tricky because there is always a personal element e.g. my idea of genre is not yours etc. , how I like to organise things. Music is also very diverse, even more so than video.

Using Picard to tag a collection can be pretty automatic and painless if all your music is known to MB (otherwise do the community service and add it). But many people then go, "I want to put the Roger Waters albums along with those of PinkFloyd", or "split my 'Various Aritsts' compilations into the publishers", or "leave accents out of band names" Smile

Once you start wanting variations then you become resonsible for implementing it consistently (like a machine would). The future may bring audio fingerprint identification for the mass market stuff, and streaming more common, but I my lifetime I predict there will always be a place for tagging your own media.
Agreed. I was a teacher since the 70s, getting into teaching IT/Computers in the 80s. What I taught I had to teach myself first...
Don't get me started on genres! That is a massive headache - I've gone through a few stages there, currently using a few VERY broad ones after a period where I used a lot, then none. I've added my music to MB and theaudioDB when I found it missing there: I suppose I've added my personal ''take'' to those databases...
Is it wrong or me to say that I kinda LIKE tagging?
Cheers from Australia!
(2017-08-25, 15:51)nannup Wrote: Is it wrong for me to say that I kinda LIKE tagging?
As I said several posts back
"At first tagging work seems tedious, but then something happens and you can become quite addicted to getting the perfectly tagged music collection. "
There is quite a club of us. :p

Good on you for contributing to TADB and MB.
Happy listening (after all that is what it is really all about).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remove an artist from the music library0