Playing artist discography from artist node
When I wanna listen to all CDs from, let's say "everlast", I'm using the context menu on everlast an hit play. Now in my world kodi should start with the first trackt from the oldes CD, than the second track from the same CD, when the CD ends it should go on with the first track from the next CD and so on.

But kodi starts playing the first song from the oldest CD, than the first song from the next CD, and so on, when all track nr 1 are played it gos on with the second track from all cds.

Is there any reason behind this? Is there another way to play all CDs from artist x without creating a playlist, or adding every single CD to the playlist?
Or is there a chance it get " fixed" so it works the proper way.

Thanks in advance
I need to check deeper, but I believe that the resulting song order in the current playlist when you play from the artist context menu all depends on the orders you have defined for the albums and songs nodes.

I just did play from artist and got exactly the natural order that you want. I had albums node sort by year, and songs node sort by track. Kodi remembers the sort order last used for each kind of node, and uses that.
(2017-04-10, 12:49)DaveBlake Wrote: I need to check deeper, but I believe that the resulting song order in the current playlist when you play from the artist context menu all depends on the orders you have defined for the albums and songs nodes.

I just did play from artist and got exactly the natural order that you want. I had albums node sort by year, and songs node sort by track. Kodi remembers the sort order last used for each kind of node, and uses that.

I just try with with kodi set as artists sort by name, albums sort by year and songs sort by tracks

Got the same result than the OP (I even got once playback starting with second album instead of the first one)
Moanbag is in da place!
Thanks for testing, not sure about my order, i take a look at night and report back
(2017-04-10, 13:08)Gracus Wrote: I just try with with kodi set as artists sort by name, albums sort by year and songs sort by tracks

Got the same result than the OP (I even got once playback starting with second album instead of the first one)
That's odd Huh
I guess I need to look more closely

I was using SQLite db, are you both using MySQL by any chance?
(2017-04-10, 14:54)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-04-10, 13:08)Gracus Wrote: I just try with with kodi set as artists sort by name, albums sort by year and songs sort by tracks

That's odd Huh

All my content is local (HDD in my computer)

So it use the native music db from kodi

If you need more info (folder structure, a copy of my music.db file, a debug log, ...) , feel free to ask
Moanbag is in da place!
(2017-04-10, 14:54)DaveBlake Wrote:

That's odd Huh

Native music.db on the chromebox hdd, Music on a NAS
Album order is "year"
Song order is "tracks"

If you need any more info/data, your welcome Smile
Done a bit of digging now, and maybe Kodi is being too clever....
I'll try to explain the current behaviour, and then you tell me.

Kodi maintains a local db of view states, ViewModes6.db, that stores the way the items for a virtual path, with all its options, were sorted per skin, last time you looked at them. It also stores how genres, artists, albums, and songs were sorted the last time you view them as a default for that kind of item. It uses this sort order for the item if there isn't a sort order stored for the virtual path from previous viewing that kind of item.

So for example say you navigate from genre to an artist with songs of that genre, to their albums (with songs of that genre), then
a) look at the songs for album 1 and sort by track,
b) look at the songs for album 2 and sort by duration,
c) look at the songs for album 3 and sort by title

If you then look at the songs for album 4 they will also be sorted by title, the last sort you used. But go back to look at album 2 and the songs will be sorted by duration, the way you previously looked at them for that album.

However if you take a different route to these songs, say navigate from the artists node (not genre) picking the same artist, on to their albums, and then view the songs for album 1, the virtual path will be different. It will be like musicdb://genres/6/87/1008/?albumartistsonly=false&artistid=87&genreid=6
whereas the previous route was musicdb://artists/87/1008/?albumartistsonly=false&artistid=87
Hence it will use the default song sort order.

Similarly if you change skin, then all the previous sort history will not be applied until you swap back to the old skin.

Sorting songs by artist and year implicitly also sorts by track number (including disc). I guess things could get messy if the artist releases more then one album in the same year, or if the songs on the album do not have the same year. I have some ongoing work to redesign some aspects of sorting, I'll think about this.

Also is it just me that gets wound up by the v16 onwards label1/label2 variation with sort method. e.g. sort songs by artist and year, and you don't see track number. I get that the thing you sort by should be displayed, but I would always like to see track number. Too much automation, not enough user choice!

Anyway, to have the discography of an artist play in the natural order you need to
a) Sort by artist and year as the default (last used) order for songs and never have specifically sorted the songs navigated to via the *all virtual path by some other order
or
b) Have navigated to the *all virtual path some time before and sorted by artist and year.

That sounds hard doesn't it. But it does mean that as a user you have total control over what order things are played, just not obviously! Smile

The principle of storing how things look so you can go back to them is a good one. But I think it is a mistake that we store the options part of the virtual path in the ViewMode6.db, and could lead to what looks like odd behaviour.

That play from the artist context menu is the same as navigating from artist to albums then clicking on *all albums and then playing the songs seems right. But the sort order you will get, depending if you had looked at and sorted all the songs before, is a little opaque.

It also seems that the facility to sort the items in the current playlist would be very useful, currently it is shuffle or not.

What a rich topic, but not one to meddle with too hastily.
Kodi is way to Clever Tongue

Thanks for the explanation Dave!

Quote:a) look at the songs for album 1 and sort by track,
b) look at the songs for album 2 and sort by duration,
c) look at the songs for album 3 and sort by title

If you then look at the songs for album 4 they will also be sorted by title, the last sort you used. But go back to look at album 2 and the songs will be sorted by duration

This have bugged me a view Times in my Tv Shows Collection...now I know why Smile

Quote:Also is it just me that gets wound up by the v16 onwards label1/label2 variation with sort method. e.g. sort songs by artist and year, and you don't see track number. I get that the thing you sort by should be displayed, but I would always like to see track number. Too much automation, not enough user choice!

this sounds like a skin issue, if I sort by artist and year, i still get track nr in My skin.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bSf6...jJTaFFQczg
but as you can see a (Double) Disc with Various Artist is a mess, Which makes total sense, because it sorts the songs by Artist Smile

So sort by artist and year did what i want, Thanks I would never have figured that out...but on the other hand it mess up the view for all your Various Artist Cd's

Quote:It also seems that the facility to sort the items in the current playlist would be very useful, currently it is shuffle or not.

this makes the most sense to me, sorting your playlist like for example the song note, would give a lot of freedom to the user Smile
(2017-04-10, 21:00)meowmoo Wrote:
Quote:Also is it just me that gets wound up by the v16 onwards label1/label2 variation with sort method. e.g. sort songs by artist and year, and you don't see track number. I get that the thing you sort by should be displayed, but I would always like to see track number. Too much automation, not enough user choice!
this sounds like a skin issue, if I sort by artist and year, i still get track nr in My skin.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bSf6...jJTaFFQczg
Yes it would be skin specific, good that Madnox shows track. But I do think that core Kodi should offer better label1 & label2 for those skins like Estuary and Confluence that use them.

Quote:But as you can see a (Double) Disc with Various Artist is a mess, Which makes total sense, because it sorts the songs by Artist Smile
Ah yes, albums with songs of varied year or artist (e.g. Various Artist) won't look right with sort by artist and year. Noted, thanks for that.

So we really need a sort by album and track (inc disk) option for songs, or rather when sorting by "track" to implicitly sort by both disk and album. Then the question is what order are the albums? Again a choice e.g. by year, title or album artist or some combination...

To be able to sort songs by album properties means fetching those properties as part of the songview view, but that is doable. As I already know sorting needs reworking and extending, I'm just thinking loudly Smile

Quote:
Quote:It also seems that the facility to sort the items in the current playlist would be very useful, currently it is shuffle or not.
this makes the most sense to me, sorting your playlist like for example the song note, would give a lot of freedom to the user Smile
Yeap, noted too. No idea when I am going to find the time, nor if it will get reviewed/approved by the team, but I will try.
Again in my world, albums get sorted by release date, originalyear, and I'm looking forward that this tag get included kodi Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing artist discography from artist node0