Anyone notice anything wrong with this?
Does anyone get the feeling that Team-Kodi members are mistreating innocent, unsuspecting members of this forum?

From what I can tell, I explained myself very clearly, and rationally with every post, but every single Team-Kodi member seems to be preoccupied with piracy allegations so much that they completely disregard any logic whatsoever. It's amazing, watch it at work. They must be a subspecies of some form.

Please check out my last thread, and post any comments you might have.
(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: and post any comments you might have.
You are a fool.

You CANNOT copy or share content that you don't own. In many/most jurisdictions, that is a criminal act. At the very least it is an unlawful act. Suggesting that a legitimate computer program bypass the law is incredibly stupid. Anyone who cannot comprehend that basic principle is not "innocent or unsuspecting", they are just stupid, or trolling.

The team was more patient with you that I would have been.

Kodi does not provide content.
The Kodi Team will not help anyone to unlawfully access content.

What's so difficult to understand?
(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: Does anyone get the feeling that Team-Kodi members are mistreating innocent, unsuspecting members of this forum?

Not really.

(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: kodi does come re-loaded with several media streaming add-ons

I'd be interested in knowing which add-ons you are talking about here. I've installed Kodi on a multitude of devices, and never once has any streaming add-on been included.

(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: From what I can tell, I explained myself very clearly, and rationally with every post,

From my POV, points 1 thru 6 weren't very clear at all. Even after reading them several times.

(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: It's amazing, watch it at work. They must be a subspecies of some form.

Not sure about the point of this.

(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: Kodi is really messed up right now

Well, it is open source software, feel free to make you own fork that will do whatever you were trying to suggest.
Kodi Matrix on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
No. Your thread was terrible and every post you made in the thread was terrible.

If you're hoping to incite some kind of user revolt against the Kodi team members, you'll have to try a lot better.
The original post is just a rant/vent and is in-contravention to the rules of the forum under general conduct Official:Forum rules (wiki) Looking back at earlier posts, with it's trolling inferences and the pattern clearly shows this user is not an asset to this forum at this time.

1 Be civil.
2 Polite language is required
4 Respect the efforts of the forum moderators and those answering questions or writing guides. They are working for free in a fairly thankless job.
bilgepump,

bilgepump: "You CANNOT copy or share content that you don't own."
Are you talking about what I thought might be a good idea, or what you believe I'm implying about Kodi? Are you referring to copying for backup purposes, or distribution of media by means of download/upload/recording for a price?

bilgepump: "In many/most jurisdictions, that is a criminal act. At the very least it is an unlawful act. Suggesting that a legitimate computer program bypass the law is incredibly stupid."
Are you suggesting that media sharing of full length TV/movies/music (NOT BY KODI'S PROVISION!!!!!) media is a better idea than streaming of TV/movie/music clips as I suggested, and referring to the intermediary promotion, being that of the Kodi interface, as being the more lawful option?

bilgepump: "Anyone who cannot comprehend that basic principle is not "innocent or unsuspecting", they are just stupid, or trolling."
As far as I can tell Team-Kodi is the troll here. You're trolling for Kodi, principally, at any expense to the public, without any regard for reason. Just because you're defensive of your own lack of understanding, it doesn't mean that a more neatly organized interface, and streaming standard is a bad idea. As far as I can tell from Team-Kodi's posts you all are really centered around piracy allegations, and paranoid to a traumatic extent. Your use of the word "bypass" is connotative of the fact (AND I DON'T WANT TO HERE ABOUT THE FBI's USE OF THE TERM!!! EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS THEY BLOW IT WAY OUT OF PROPORTION AS WELL.). There's nothing to hide about streaming media correctly.

bilgepump: "What's so difficult to understand?"
What is so difficult to understand is the fact that you are too heretically inept, and paranoid about Kodi's legality to see the information posted for what it really is, being that of rational, informative discussion.
You have already been told that Kodi DOES NOT include any content and what you are suggesting to do is still considered the distribution of pirated material, something we neither condone nor will we help users accomplish.

You have already been told what Kodi is, what it does and that your suggestion is NOT going to be considered. We do not care if you feel as though because of this that you are being mistreated or treated unfairly.

Attempting to start a new thread only to get other forum members to side with you is only going to backfire since the overwhelming majority of Kodi's forum members understand what Kodi is as well as what you are suggesting will not be tolerated.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
PatK,

"The original post is just a rant/vent and is in-contravention to the rules of the forum under general conduct Official:Forum rules (wiki) Looking back at earlier posts, with it's trolling inferences and the pattern clearly shows this user is not an asset to this forum at this time."

My perspective:
I'm just having a wonderful day at the office. I thought I might enjoy communicating with some fellow Kodi forum members to talk about how nice it is to have an app like Kodi to enjoy movie watching from a vast array of media sharing sources.

No ranting/venting there.

"4 Respect the efforts of the forum moderators and those answering questions or writing guides. They are working for free in a fairly thankless job."

What do you think about your lack of respect toward other forum members?:
"And that just proves my point, that you are commenting without any knowledge of what you're talking about."
"Plus, the "articles" (I use that term extremely loosely) are written by the same type of people who have not acquired enough knowledge about what Kodi is or does to even write a article to begin with."
"It's not paranoia, it's an attempt to educate you."
"My opinion is that all your suggestions are the result of very poor knowledge of the background and workings of Kodi."
"And I'm pretty sure that is the problem, you "don't think" and apparently you don't listen or learn."
"What a weird conversation. I really hope this isn't a native english speaker."

All disrespectful in light of the following.

For the record:
It was just an idea for discussion's sake, not a request to Kodi, and not an offer to Kodi.
I suggested no downloading, uploading, recording, nor full length streaming. And noone bothered to read my posts intelligibly.
I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHETHER KODI PROVIDES MEDIA CONTENT OR NOT, I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT WHETHER KODI IS ILLEGAL OR NOT, NOR WHETHER IT ENDORSES MEDIA SOURCES OF ANY FORM OR NOT!
(2017-04-15, 04:23)jv1597 Wrote: They must be a subspecies of some form.

I'm still fairly convinced we're dealing with someone using English as a second language, but intentional or not, this is pretty clearly a violation of the rules and a put down of the entire team. So I'm going to give you a week to maybe think about not calling a team some form of subspecies and think you'll get to keep chatting.

edit: I should say, you appear to think that my saying you're using English as a second language is some kind of put down. Far from it. Well over 50% of the team uses English as a second language. What I'm doing is attempting to give you an out. Sometimes things just don't translate well. Maybe calling people a subspecies isn't a putdown in whatever your first language is. And your failure to reply to pretty simple things, like when people told you that Kodi doesn't come with content add-ons pre-installed, is just a by-product of not understanding what they meant in translation. It happens fairly frequently on this board.

I'm hopeful English is your second language, because if it's your first language, you have no excuse for your behavior.
Jv1597. Your awesome.... Hahahahaha. Ignorance really is bliss huh?

So just for the sake of the Kodi team so they can banned you... What add-ons are you talking about exactly that are causing you some much of an issue? Can you take a screenshot shoot so everyone can see?

Hahahahaha. This has given me a good laugh tonight.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
I was really going for the ' lost in translation' explanation, but after reading this i sure hope the topic starter understands things better when having a 'wonderful day at the office' . Damn.
1 Be civil.
2 Polite language is required

I love those 2 rules and I try very hard to abide by them.
Unfortunately too many members of Team Kodi and some add-on developers seem to believe they are exempt.
Not for one second do I suggest that everybody is guilty, but it is happening far too often.

Whether a person is or is not in breach of some forum rule does NOT give anyone (whether they are a team member or not) the right to abuse or insult another person.

Instead of abusing or insulting someone who arrives in this forum (for example) with a Kodi setup full of unsupported add-ons etc how about taking the time to explain to them how & why they find themselves in this situation, how to avoid it in the future, and give them some suggestions for getting back on the straight and narrow. Who knows? They may end up being a valuable contributor down the line. At the very least they will tell their friends about the pitfalls they encountered and maybe steer those friends away from the shonks selling those boxes.

"Read the wiki @sshole" or "Learn the f*cking rules" is in no way a polite or civil response to a question.
Unfortunately these type of responses have become more and more frequent over the past 12-18 months. I speak from personal experience.

Recently I had cause to ask a question about making a change to an add-on. That change would be illegal in a great many countries - but not mine.

The Federal Government here in Australia has determined that "Geo-blocking" falls under the definition of unconscionable behavior under federal trade laws.
Unfortunately, because the majority of content providers engaging in this behavior are based outside our borders, the law is very difficult to enforce.
The Government have stated publicly that the practice of evading Geo-blocking from within Australia is NOT illegal.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-29/ge...ng/7369714

Since that report a year ago the Governments position has been clarified and new legislation has been introduced.
To be clear - we are not talking about subscription services (eg Netflix, Hulu, etc). We are talking about "catch-up" content that would be free to view if the user was in the "right" country.

None of that, of course, prevented the developer from painting me as a pirate and giving me a lecture about take-down notices.

I very much doubt I will be seeking help in these forums again. I just doesn't seem worth the grief it brings.

EDIT: My bad! I actually intended this to be a new thread.
Whilst my post was "inspired" (wrong word but I can't think of the right one) by this thread it was not my intent to add to it.
@Gr0k
I wholeheartedly agree with you, but if someone, whatever approach one has, is repeatedly told how things work and what is and isnt done (after all, they maintain Kodi and provide this forumspace), only to receive unfounded insults and yelling in return, i am out. Sorry.
Absolutely Atreyu. I hear you there.

Just to be really clear - my post in no way references what this guy was saying.
It was simply that I had my own experiences in the back of my mind, then came across this thread and decided to tell my own story.

My mistake here was one of stupidity - I typed in the wrong window LOL
Then I couldn't see how to move it to its own thread so I just left it here.

With regard to the original guy ..... in what world is streaming copyrighted material 15 seconds at a time not piracy??
(2017-04-15, 12:00)Gr0k Wrote: Instead of abusing or insulting someone who arrives in this forum (for example) with a Kodi setup full of unsupported add-ons etc how about taking the time to explain to them how & why they find themselves in this situation, how to avoid it in the future, and give them some suggestions for getting back on the straight and narrow. Who knows? They may end up being a valuable contributor down the line. At the very least they will tell their friends about the pitfalls they encountered and maybe steer those friends away from the shonks selling those boxes.

"Read the wiki @sshole" or "Learn the f*cking rules" is in no way a polite or civil response to a question.
Unfortunately these type of responses have become more and more frequent over the past 12-18 months. I speak from personal experience.

For one, that rarely happens and if it does it is usually after someone has repeatedly violated the Forum Rules. Most of the time, especially if someone is new, the response is a canned one, which includes read the Forum rules (wiki) and we don't support Banned addons (wiki).

As well, it is not our job to reform users or set them on the "straight and narrow". As has been repeated more times than I can count, we don't care what individuals do with Kodi in their own homes. However, when some one comes into the forum they are required to follow our rules. It is for them to read the rules and understand what they can and can't do, not for us to hold their hands and explain why they have to follow them. If we did that then there likely wouldn't be much time to do anything else.

All of Team Kodi, whether they be moderators or developers, are volunteers doing this on their free time. And though most are willing to help other users when they can, it is expected that they in turn spend some effort to learn on their own and search for solutions on their own. Especially given that some of that free time is used in providing a Wiki where answers can be found and in the forum via other posts which may have the answer they are looking for already and could be found very easily with a search.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone notice anything wrong with this?0