System Volume Information
Years ago I was running Win7x64 with Kodi on an old PC. I had the main drive and two 3TB drives for media (Movies and TV).

I switched to OpenElec, which as per another thread, I guess hasn't been around for a while so I wiped out the 32GB SSD drive I have and installed LibreElec.

Literally the ONLY experience I have with Linux/Unix.

Since the two media drives were created long ago with Win7, I'm thinking the System Volume Information folders are leftovers from that?

I do have the drives shared to my personal computer running Win10. I use it to rename/copy/delete files on the media server. All connected with ethernet Cat6e.

Can I delete those folder so they no longer show up? Does the HDD or LibreElec need those? Does my remote Win10 need them?
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
I think that's a windows thing but I haven't used windows seriously in 15 years. I don't know exactly how you did your partitioning on there... did you make a volume out of the 2 (I forget what windows calls it when you make multiple drives into a set and single mount point)?  If so, it is probably dangerous to nuke them.  They aren't there due to linux or kodi... probably just micro$oft silliness.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Just formatted the 3TB drive and named it Movies, formatted the other 3TB name it TV_Series... beyond that I have no idea. Smile

I didn't partition the drives, but if I recall correctly Windows sets aside a hidden partition of sorts for system files and such. I'd like to wipe them out... I do have a pair of 3TB externals with mirror copies of all the files (just backed up today) but would rather not spend hours transferring back if goes wrong especially when I don't know linux at all or how to even format a drive. Big Grin
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
(2018-12-16, 00:38)THRobinson Wrote: I didn't partition the drives, but if I recall correctly Windows sets aside a hidden partition of sorts for system files and such.
That was my impression also - they're hidden to Windows (I think Windows Explorer is told to ignore them) but it's possible to view and scrub them under Linux.
(I did this on one system, but I was using LVM - Logical Volume Manager - so had the ability to make this partition into a "virtual disk" then add it into my other storage. LVM doesn't seem to be popular on home systems any more)

THRobinson Wrote:I don't know linux at all or how to even format a drive. Big Grin
What you call "format" under Windows is "make a filesystem" under Linux. But anyway... if the partitions are small, the overhead of scrubbing those partitions then trying to extend the others in to reclaim the space can be more trouble than it's worth.  Do you know big they are?
Well... when I was fighting with a share not working Saturday night at like 2am, I decided since I have a backup, why not try anyways.

Whenever I turn the PC on, it was hit/miss when scraping if it would give a 'could not connect, continue anyways' error when it it the System Volume folders. Didn't on OpenElec, was happening on LibreElec. So I went into the file manager in Kodi and deleted the System Vol folder on both. Not sure about hidden files, but what I could see I think were old chkdsk logs. Anyways, wiped them out... been rebooted numerous times since then, have copied files to the drives and watched videos... and so far no issues, and the 'could not connect' message when scraping is gone.

Fingers crossed... but again, I do a mirror copy of each drive to external drives so, if I find that I need to format the drives, as long as the backups are stable I should be ok. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
System Volume Information0