To have a chance you would need to know:
1. autotools
2. Cmake
3. C++
4. Objective-c
5. Bash
6. Cross platform programming
7. The inner workings of the apple SDKs

As soon as one of those skills is missing you will end in big frustration and/or in a lot of wrong layered questions without answers.

Just for completeness.
 Although not very familiar with the skills above, but I am interested in getting Leia running on apple tv. Can you be more specified about what needs to done, like a guide. That will be very useful for newbies like me to get involved.
(2019-03-14, 01:16)sy6sy2 Wrote: I just acquired an ATV4 on tvOS 12.1 and I have Mojave with Xcode 10.1 with appletvos12.1 SDK.
I am not able to compile depends of your branch (https://github.com/Memphiz/xbmc/tree/yab) even by modifying configure file in order to allow 12.* sdk.

Do you know if is it possible to compile your branch with this SDK.
I can confirm that YAB branch can be built with your configuration. I updated from High Sierra a month ago, and as far as I remember, only 32 targets were a problem. You may take a look here, but please note, not all commits are relevant to Mojave build.
(2019-03-14, 11:28)yiyayiyayo Wrote:
(2019-02-11, 08:24)Memphiz Wrote: Thx for trying

To have a chance you would need to know:
1. autotools
2. Cmake
3. C++
4. Objective-c
5. Bash
6. Cross platform programming
7. The inner workings of the apple SDKs

As soon as one of those skills is missing you will end in big frustration and/or in a lot of wrong layered questions without answers.

Just for completeness.
 Although not very familiar with the skills above, but I am interested in getting Leia running on apple tv. Can you be more specified about what needs to done, like a guide. That will be very useful for newbies like me to get involved.

By all respect - but this is like asking Tesla how to build the car from scratch.

This is no job for a newbie - without basic knowledge in the above mentioned areas - there is no way to give a „howto“ ... also if there was a way to do a „how-to“ wouldn‘t you think I would do the work instead of writing a text that describes how to do the actual work?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz,

I do not really understand what is the problem with the update of the code for tvOS?

If I understand well the yab branch contains all the necessary stuff in order to run on tvOS.
Is it a good idea to migrate step by step each commit of the master branch in the yab branch in order to catch up?

Or maybe I miss something?

I'm just trying to understand ;-) 

Thank you!
Then read up on cmake. Having the commits from yab ported over gives you no way to build Kodi because it uses cmake now and not a fixed Xcode project anymore.
Beside that the videoplayer is almost rewritten since Kodi 17. None of the hardware decoder code from yab can be used in Kodi 18 as is.

+ 100 other architectural changes I am not aware of that got introduced between Kodi 17 and 18
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ok I understand now! Thank you.

So the only way is to start from the master branch and add the missing stuff for ATV in configure.ac files right?
Add tvOS as another platform similar to iOS. You start with depends, get that building correctly. Only then can you move to fixing core build side.

For someone experienced, it might take a few weeks of effort. Otherwise, plan on a few months Smile

TARGET_DARWIN_IOS / TARGET_DARWIN_TVOS are your friends. Use them wisely. tvOS is based off iOS but there are differences.

I'd also look into if cmake even understand tvOS and can generate a proper Xcode project. If it can't, plan on a good deal of effort fixing that part.
Thank you for your advices!
I am used to developing C++ projects with Cmake but I don't know very well the cross compilation (only develop on macOS to macOS).
I don't if I will go all the way but I put my WIP here: https://github.com/SylvainCecchetto/xbmc/tree/ATV

On this branch I am able to build tools and dependencies with:

Code:

git clone https://github.com/SylvainCecchetto/xbmc/ kodi
git checkout ATV
cd kodi/tools/depends
./bootstrap
./configure --host=arm-apple-darwin --with-cpu=arm64 --with-platform=tvos
make

I will try to build binary addons now.

Edit: Apparently the build of the binary addons seems to works out-of-the-box with

Code:

cd kodi
make -C tools/depends/target/binary-addons
Interesting thing, Cmake seems to now completely supports iOS and tvOS toolchains (see https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/c...f3bd1bc934).
But Kodi uses the 3.12.2 version of Cmake and this version is not able to correctly identify the compiler with the Apple TV SDK :
Code:
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The ASM compiler identification is unknown

I will try to upgrade Cmake in order to simplify the Toolchain and see if I can pass the Xcode project generation step.
(2019-03-30, 17:29)sy6sy2 Wrote: Interesting thing, Cmake seems to now completely supports iOS and tvOS toolchains (see https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/c...f3bd1bc934).
But Kodi uses the 3.12.2 version of Cmake and this version is not able to correctly identify the compiler with the Apple TV SDK :
Code:
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The ASM compiler identification is unknown

I will try to upgrade Cmake in order to simplify the Toolchain and see if I can pass the Xcode project generation step.

I joined just to wish you good luck and I appreciate you putting in the effort to get it working!
Thank you lykaios, I will try to do my best.

WIP: I updated to Cmake 3.14 to use the built-in Cmake toolchain command set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME tvOS).

The C and CXX compilers are now correctly identified but all try_compile() functions failed with Code Signing Error: Bundle identifier is missing.
I'm stuck here so I opened an issue here to get help from Cmake peoples : https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/19112

If anyone here know what to do I take the fix ;-D
(2019-04-01, 08:14)sy6sy2 Wrote: Thank you lykaios, I will try to do my best.

WIP: I updated to Cmake 3.14 to use the built-in Cmake toolchain command set(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME tvOS).

The C and CXX compilers are now correctly identified but all try_compile() functions failed with Code Signing Error: Bundle identifier is missing.
I'm stuck here so I opened an issue here to get help from Cmake peoples : https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/19112

If anyone here know what to do I take the fix ;-D
I've run in to builder identifier problems in the past, as windows95 as this solution sounds, what worked for me was creating a new project, new certificate, new provprofile, and gave it the package a new name based on appID and that sorted out. since this is a code signing error, I don't think the problem is non trivial (hopefully).
Not sure to understand, how do you create new Xcode project for projects creating on the fly by the try_compile() function of Cmake?
(2019-04-01, 10:37)sy6sy2 Wrote: Not sure to understand, how do you create new Xcode project for projects creating on the fly by the try_compile() function of Cmake?

I see you are creating with try_compile, I found this somewhere:
set_target_properties (cmTryCompileExec PROPERTIES MACOSX_BUNDLE ON)
set_target_properties (cmTryCompileExec PROPERTIES XCODE_ATTRIBUTE_CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY "iPhone Developer")

although the bundle should probably bet TVOS as opposed to MACOSX
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TvOS Kodi Build3