• 42(current)
TvOS Kodi Build
(2021-04-05, 18:32)sy6sy2 Wrote: You can enable hardware decoding in settings but you may have some issue with channels depending on the video type (see https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/pull/15).

I suspect the high CPU usage caused by the de-interlaced algorithm. But do you have any problem while watching TV? I am also using the Apple TV 4K/TVheadend combo in France (HDHomerun with interlaced TNT channels) and I have no playing issue. I use this configuration in my daily usage.

Yes, TV plays fine - i hope that the high usage is „good“ for the little box :-)
btw : means 211% :

one Core 100%
2nd Core 100%
3rd 11%?

how many cores are available in ATV4K?
(2021-04-06, 18:02)reppmic Wrote: btw : means 211% :

one Core 100%
2nd Core 100%
3rd 11%?

iPad 12,9 2020 is also running at ~200% when watching tv
(2021-04-07, 17:27)reppmic Wrote:
(2021-04-06, 18:02)reppmic Wrote: btw : means 211% :

one Core 100%
2nd Core 100%
3rd 11%?

iPad 12,9 2020 is also running at ~200% when watching tv

My assumption is that hardware decoding is disabled during liveTv. Hardware decoding with LiveTV was an issue earlier, and you had to switch it off during LiveTV. My guess is that developers have done this automatically instead of fixing the hardware decoding issue as workaround. CPU is 50% when watching a movie.
I've recently been using Kodi on ATV and while everything has been working quite well, I have noticed that some videos (both movies and tv shows) fail to play properly if HW decoding is turned on in the video settings. I've tried reading through the threads regarding this issue and it seems that it might be long standing, but it also sounds like something was implemented to auto turn off the HW decoding in some cases. I tried running some 4K video (I don't have many) with SW decoding only and unfortunately it's not playable (stuttering). Is anyone else on ATV experiencing this same issue?

Thanks all...
(2021-10-28, 17:18)knewknow Wrote: I've recently been using Kodi on ATV and while everything has been working quite well, I have noticed that some videos (both movies and tv shows) fail to play properly if HW decoding is turned on in the video settings. I've tried reading through the threads regarding this issue and it seems that it might be long standing, but it also sounds like something was implemented to auto turn off the HW decoding in some cases. I tried running some 4K video (I don't have many) with SW decoding only and unfortunately it's not playable (stuttering). Is anyone else on ATV experiencing this same issue?

Thanks all...
A bit more of an update here. I've been seeing this issue with more and more files lately, but I also don't know enough about video formats to know what the issue is. I trimmed a video here that has the issue. I can provide more samples if needed.

Platform: TVOS
Kodi Version: 19.2
Problem: With VTBdecoder turned on, some videos (MKV in all cases I've seen) will not display. The audio continues to play, but video is grey. If VTBdecoder is deselected in video settings, the video plays correctly

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bevBxMo...sp=sharing
I noticed exactly the same issue. It forces me to enable and deselect the hw acceleration depending on the video file. That‘s quite annoying. I cant believe that it should be that hard to solve that problem.
(2021-11-09, 03:38)knewknow Wrote: Problem: With VTBdecoder turned on, some videos (MKV in all cases I've seen) will not display. The audio continues to play, but video is grey. If VTBdecoder is deselected in video settings, the video plays correctly

Probably the same issue i'm having (and reported here), i suspect it's more a ffmpeg issue then a kodi issue. Create debug log files and upload them so the dev's get a chance to fix it.
(2021-11-09, 03:38)knewknow Wrote:
(2021-10-28, 17:18)knewknow Wrote: I've recently been using Kodi on ATV and while everything has been working quite well, I have noticed that some videos (both movies and tv shows) fail to play properly if HW decoding is turned on in the video settings. I've tried reading through the threads regarding this issue and it seems that it might be long standing, but it also sounds like something was implemented to auto turn off the HW decoding in some cases. I tried running some 4K video (I don't have many) with SW decoding only and unfortunately it's not playable (stuttering). Is anyone else on ATV experiencing this same issue?

Thanks all...
A bit more of an update here. I've been seeing this issue with more and more files lately, but I also don't know enough about video formats to know what the issue is. I trimmed a video here that has the issue. I can provide more samples if needed.

Platform: TVOS
Kodi Version: 19.2
Problem: With VTBdecoder turned on, some videos (MKV in all cases I've seen) will not display. The audio continues to play, but video is grey. If VTBdecoder is deselected in video settings, the video plays correctly

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bevBxMo...sp=sharing
A merry christmas and a good start into new year 2023 to the coded team and all users...

I am very glad that you are making the Kodi app available for the Apple TV platform as well. I would like to thank everyone involved for this.

However, no sunshine without shade...., here a couple of wishes for the Kodi 20 (Nexus) in 2023
  1. fixing the bug when playing video formats that require the HW decoding to be turned off (see error image as before) This bug has been present since 19.1 or earlier.
  2. the HDR10 and Atmos sound support, just HDR was already supported by Memphis (with support from Davilla) in version 17.6, here is already a support offered on other platforms if I'm not mistaken.
  3. a blemish the sound support of the button clicks in the Kodi application.
I had hoped that in the Nexus release these extensions etc. are implemented, but as I could see so far, unfortunately, no innovations and improvements in the Nexus release communicated.

I wish that other users support me in my wishes, because I consider both the platform (AppleTV) and the Kodi application to be one of the best combinations.

Do we in the community have a chance to look forward to this? 

I would appreciate not only feedback from the developers here but also support from like minded users.

Thanks and a great start to 2023
guibaa
AppleTV 4K Release 17.2 with Kodi 17.6  & Kodi 20.2.0
QNAP NAS TVS-872XT - Build 5.1.2.2533
Kodi 20.0 (Nexus) is released.....

Too bad that also in this release none of the known bugs and missing features have been removed or realized.

I have the feeling that Kodi on the AppleTV unfortunately only leads a shadow existence and is not really developed as on other platforms.

Is that so....?

Here are the points I know which are already known since the release 19.

1. fixing the bug when playing video formats that require the HW decoding to be turned off (see error image as before) This bug has been present since 19.1 or earlier.
2. the HDR10 and Atmos sound support, just HDR was already supported by Memphis (with support from Davilla) in version 17.6, here is already a support offered on other platforms if I'm not mistaken.
3. a blemish the sound support of the button clicks in the Kodi application.

Do you have a timeline for when these issues will be addressed?

best regards
guibaa
there is no ETA. You could try fixing those issues yourself Wink
(2023-01-17, 12:00)kambala Wrote: there is no ETA. You could try fixing those issues yourself Wink

Hi kambala,

unfortunately these comments are not helpful, because not all here have the ability of developers, As a user I can only point out the points which are buggy and not usable.

I had hoped that there are also with you developers who have made the conversion to the AppleTV platform at the time this also continue to support or implement the missing features.

It seems to run here with the AppleTV platform unfortunately similarly as with Davilla (MRMC) where also no further implementations are made.

It's just a pity ....  Sad
fixing requires time and motivation (and sometimes appropriate hardware), currently tvOS devs including myself have none of that.

there're also cases when ordinary users turn into newbie developers thanks to high enthusiasm and motivation Smile the official tvOS port being one example.
(2023-01-17, 12:45)guibaa Wrote:
(2023-01-17, 12:00)kambala Wrote: there is no ETA. You could try fixing those issues yourself Wink

Hi kambala,

unfortunately these comments are not helpful, because not all here have the ability of developers, As a user I can only point out the points which are buggy and not usable.

I had hoped that there are also with you developers who have made the conversion to the AppleTV platform at the time this also continue to support or implement the missing features.

It seems to run here with the AppleTV platform unfortunately similarly as with Davilla (MRMC) where also no further implementations are made.

It's just a pity ....  Sad
Do you have HDR currently working with Kodi 17.6 on tvOS 16.3? If that is the case may I ask where you can find this version right now?

Thanks in advance :-)
(2022-11-08, 16:30)Janosch Wrote:
(2021-11-09, 03:38)knewknow Wrote: Problem: With VTBdecoder turned on, some videos (MKV in all cases I've seen) will not display. The audio continues to play, but video is grey. If VTBdecoder is deselected in video settings, the video plays correctly

Probably the same issue i'm having (and reported here), i suspect it's more a ffmpeg issue then a kodi issue. Create debug log files and upload them so the dev's get a chance to fix it.

Guys, this issue has been fixed in Kodi Omega (just installed the nightly of Kodi 21 Alpha), all videos are playing now with hardware acceleration activated. Guess the upgrade to FFMPEG 6 in latest Kodi fixed it. This really made my day! Great news!
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TvOS Kodi Build3