Sofa Control Script
I created a Sofa Control Script to work with osxbmc!

Sofa Control isn't free, but it's not too expensive and until they get IR support built-in, this is a pretty good solution.

(I am not affiliated with the company that makes Sofa Control, just a user.)

Apparently, we can't post attachments here, so I put it in my temporary .mac account. You can access it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/toddtmwmac/FileSharing1.html

Here is what the script does:

Left - left
Right - right
Plus - up
Minus - down
Play - enter (select menu choice)
Menu - escape (goes back)
Hold Left and then release - small jump backward
Hold Right and then release - small jump forward

So, the ring works the way you would expect when in menus. Play selects and Menu goes back.

Once a movie starts, play brings up the "playing" menu. From there, hitting play again, pauses it. Otherwise, you can navigate around and choose the other options. Menu makes that menu go away.

Holding Left and Right will skip once you let go.
I added hold Plus and hold Minus so that it repeats the up and down keystrokes to make it easier to scroll through long lists of movies or shows. (Same download link.)

-Todd
Hey,

I have Sofa Control. Picked it up as a freebie from one of the MacHeist II Missions.

Have been slowly using it more and more for some of the programs that I use like QuickTime Player etc.

I finally figured out how to add the downloaded script to Sofa Control last night and had a quick play around with it and XMBCOSX.

I'm impressed. I like the xTV skin and with that and the original skin, XMBCOSX is now becoming more and more useful and looking like a real media centre software.

This weekend I wanna load up some files and see how I get on, but so far I love the Sofa Control Script, xTV and XMBCOSX.

Thanks to all involved!

cjc Big Grin
Hey Todd,

Have you figured out how to get Sofa Control to open XBMC rather than Front Row when you hold down the Menu key?

I have turned off the Front Row in Global, but I can't figure out how to add XBMC to the same key.

Any ideas?

cjc
Have you offered your script to the CaseApps guys?

If you haven't, would you mind if I did in your name?

cjc
cjc1959au Wrote:Hey Todd,

Have you figured out how to get Sofa Control to open XBMC rather than Front Row when you hold down the Menu key?

I have turned off the Front Row in Global, but I can't figure out how to add XBMC to the same key.

Any ideas?

cjc
I hold the menu button to get the default Sofa Control Global menu. Then hit Play to "Choose Script" and then Choose XBMC.

-Todd
cjc1959au Wrote:Have you offered your script to the CaseApps guys?

If you haven't, would you mind if I did in your name?

cjc

No I haven't. Feel free to do whatever you want with it.

-Todd
Hello,

since yesterday i am using xbmc on my mac mini via hdmi on lcd tv with the aluminum apple remote and sofa control on lion.

the xbmc sofa control script that came with sofa control does not really work well - up down for volume doesn't work and overall handling is not as desired.

your above mentioned script seems to be exactly what i am looking for!

could someone mplease send it to me since the download link is inactive now ?

thank you

best wishes from germany ;-)

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send it to you. The board will not let me e-mail you, nor does it appear to allow attachments to either forum posts or PM's.

I am no longer using Sofa Control (haven't used it for at least 3 years) so I cannot guarantee that this script still works. (I switched to Plex with a harmony remote, and am now using an Apple TV also.)

Good luck!

-Todd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sofa Control Script1