Please help with buffering through wifi
Windows server (holds media), windows client (plays media).

Wifi N connection between the two.

Everything working fine for about 12 months, then suddenly having issues with 'buffering' - media playing will stop and buffer for about 30 seconds, several times every hour, every time we try to watch something.

Driving me nuts.

Can anyone suggest a fix?
Powerline adapter
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-04-24, 02:38)0ldfart Wrote: Windows server (holds media), windows client (plays media).

Wifi N connection between the two.

Everything working fine for about 12 months, then suddenly having issues with 'buffering' - media playing will stop and buffer for about 30 seconds, several times every hour, every time we try to watch something.

Driving me nuts.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Did you try to change/increase the buffer settings?
Interference? Maybe a neighbour's now using the same or a nearby wifi channel? Something like wifi analyzer on an android phone would be an easy way to check.
(2017-04-24, 03:10)bry Wrote: Powerline adapter

I can definitely endorse powerline adapters. They work brilliantly. I have a favourite brand installed on my and many friends' systems and I would be happy to give more information via a PM. I have no connection with the company btw.

Yep. Tried it at your suggestion. was actually significantly worse than wifi - which I did not expect.

(2017-04-26, 10:39)fab1o978 Wrote: Did you try to change/increase the buffer settings?

Yep. I did this also, after posting. I think it is slightly better, but still very disruptive.

(2017-04-26, 10:54)trogggy Wrote: Interference? Maybe a neighbour's now using the same or a nearby wifi channel? Something like wifi analyzer on an android phone would be an easy way to check.

Am using an R7000 with channel set to AUTO.

(2017-04-26, 13:31)JNRW Wrote:

I can definitely endorse powerline adapters. They work brilliantly. I have a favourite brand installed on my and many friends' systems and I would be happy to give more information via a PM. I have no connection with the company btw.

No. Not so much in this case (see above).
That's crazy. Which powerline adapter did you get?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
To confirm it is/is not the wifi, how about running a temporary patch cable between your pc and your router/switch and your server. The whole chain is wired, and you can gauge performance issues better that way.

I could never get power line adaptors to work at my home either. I had Netgear adaptors, and the fastest speed I could ever achieve was 80kB/s and constant connection issues. They would constantly disconnect from each other. Ended up buying a roll of cat6 (which ended being $30 more expensive than the 6 power line adaptors I had purchase) and wiring my house then asked a friend to terminate. It all runs like a dream.
If you follow these 2 simple rules you will never have issues with buffering.

Stationary devices like TV, Blu-Ray, NAS, Media PC etc should ALWAYS have a wired connection.
Protable devices like laptops, phones and tabs should be on WiFi.

I have the latest and greatest when it comes to router and extenders and extensive testing have resulted in the creation of my above rules.
Intel NUC Skull Canyon - Windows 10 Pro - Kodi 18
VU+ Solo2 - Canal Digital/CMore Max
Samsung UE65KS9005 Pro Calibrated
Well, if one is allowed to recommend a product I use and recommend Devolo power line adapters. It is just like connecting everything by cable provided you follow the recommended configuration requirements.
I never had much luck using popular powerline adapters either. It was worse than Wi-Fi for me. Some Ethernet ports are slower than Wi-Fi too. RPI for example. In the end, I bought a high performance Modem/Router with a matching USB 3.0 adapter. Nothing is connected Ethernet and everything uses Wi-Fi. The router is 50' away through 4 walls and a bathroom riddled with glass, tile and a shower. Then through a laundry room shooting through a washer and dryer in use including 2 exterior stucco walls to the garage. 2.4 is for distance. 5.0 is for speed. I am able to use 5.0 at 845mbps network and 30MB/s internet D/L. Imo, get a good A/C router and high speed adapter for your main machine. Phones and clients work well spread throughout the 2 story house but are not as demanding.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help with buffering through wifi0