Kodi's official DRM stance
Netflix working already in kodi 18.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Netflix runs on Kodi 18 Leia but only up to 720p, 1080p playback is very choppy due to some restrictions from widevine. Also many movies don't play in full HD. It would be nice if this would be supported by, say, using the (legal) dual-boot android system with Widevine level 1 already installed (but this could be totally impossible.)
(2017-11-01, 15:52)Gregoire Wrote: Netflix runs on Kodi 18 Leia but only up to 720p, 1080p playback is very choppy due to some restrictions from widevine. Also many movies don't play in full HD. It would be nice if this would be supported by, say, using the (legal) dual-boot android system with Widevine level 1 already installed (but this could be totally impossible.)

that is not true in general. Only depends on your hardware
(2017-11-01, 18:48)wsnipex Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 15:52)Gregoire Wrote: Netflix runs on Kodi 18 Leia but only up to 720p, 1080p playback is very choppy due to some restrictions from widevine. Also many movies don't play in full HD. It would be nice if this would be supported by, say, using the (legal) dual-boot android system with Widevine level 1 already installed (but this could be totally impossible.)

that is not true in general. Only depends on your hardware

Yes. Sorry. I own a s905x box with widevine level 1 in android.
Adding DRM support to KODI is a very smart move on the part of the XMBC Foundation.

Remove any ideological dilemma and see it for what it is in the most basic sense: a way to help protect KODI from the copyright trolls. Even if it never goes anywhere, at the very least, the KODI team can pass the buck and put the onus on the streaming platforms.

I would be absolutely thrilled to watch Netflix and Amazon without leaving KODI, but I'm not going to hold my breath for Amazon. They sell hardware and have a history of trying to control who/what plays their content.

Can anyone behind the scenes comment on what sort of feedback this news has generated with DRM-protected content providers (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc)?
Thumbs Up 
I very much support the idea of the Kodi Team to develop ways to use DRM-protected content, especially from streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and more.
It would be great to use these services within the Kodi environment.

Yes, I am highly supportive of unprotected content. But that should not limit the usage of content from people and organizations with other views than myself.
Hi, I have some DRM movies that I purchased, am I able to play them on Kodi V18?
Yes, how exactly does this work in v18?
OK, I found a way to fix this issue guys. it was such a simple thing. When Chrome updated itself recently it changed some default settings. So Just go to settings and click advanced, then click on-site content, then "unblock" protected content. Simple as that. This setting defaulted back to blocking protected content. Here is a link to fix this issue. You are all very welcome. https://techtade.com/widevine-content-de...on-module/
(2017-10-23, 00:28)nickr Wrote: Netflix working already in kodi 18.

Yes!
(2019-11-14, 07:48)hiscommock Wrote: You are all very welcome.
For what? An outdated article on widevine?

(2019-11-14, 07:57)hiscommock Wrote: Yes!
Quoting a post from 2017 isn't exactly helpful either.
(2020-02-10, 10:03)leteshia888 Wrote: Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

Okay, here is one: do not use our forum for spamming or any other type of totally useless reactions.
So, what is the status of DRM in Kodi today? I would love to access GolfTv and Disney+ using Kodi on my Raspberry PI 4!
@ntovik 
Disney+ kodi addon works at 720p on RPi4 using the chrome-os widevine library.
Netflix kodi addon works at 1080p on RPi4 using the chrome-os widevine library.

On Android Widevine Level 1 certified devices such as ShieldTV, Netflix and Disney+ addon can play all resolutions upto 4K HDR and DV

No idea if GolfTV has a kodi addon
Kodi 21 nightly Windows 10 | 20.3 Xbox One X | 21 nightly Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi's official DRM stance3