v17 Tagging albums not in MusicBrainz
Hi,

I have a whole bunch of albums that are not to be found in MusicBrainz database. Fortunately most of the artists are there, but not some of their releases.

What is the best way to tag in Picard in order to get everything right? I have retagged almost all of my flac files with Picards help now and would like to get my collection as ordered as possibel.

-Stefan
Add those releases to Musicbrainz so the whole community benefits.
(2017-04-25, 16:31)helta Wrote: Add those releases to Musicbrainz so the whole community benefits.

This

There is a plugin called "add cluster as release" this helps add missing release's to the Musicbrainz db.

You need to "group" the songs on the left side in Picard and than right click on it.

After adding it to the db, there is a green tagger button on the mb page, if you click on it the CD gets loaded into Picard and you can drag the files from the left side into the CD on the right side Smile
Thanks Meowmoo for telling me HOW to do it.
About 80% of the albums I still have the orignial disk, but some are lost or ripped form vinyl that era no longer around so i am not sure if i can give enough Information of MB to get them accepted.

(2017-04-25, 21:44)meowmoo Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 16:31)helta Wrote: Add those releases to Musicbrainz so the whole community benefits.

This

There is a plugin called "add cluster as release" this helps add missing release's to the Musicbrainz db.

You need to "group" the songs on the left side in Picard and than right click on it.

After adding it to the db, there is a green tagger button on the mb page, if you click on it the CD gets loaded into Picard and you can drag the files from the left side into the CD on the right side Smile
Yeap, totally agree.

(2017-04-25, 21:44)meowmoo Wrote: There is a plugin called "add cluster as release" this helps add missing release's to the Musicbrainz db.
Thanks for the advice on this, I have always done it from scratch online.

(2017-04-26, 02:27)Balcmeg Wrote: Thanks Meowmoo for telling me HOW to do it.
About 80% of the albums I still have the orignial disk, but some are lost or ripped form vinyl that era no longer around so I am not sure if i can give enough Information of MB to get them accepted.
Maybe try some of the most likely ones, its good Karma to add to MB data Smile

But all that good advice aside back to the op.

(2017-04-25, 15:55)Balcmeg Wrote: What is the best way to tag in Picard in order to get everything right? I have retagged almost all of my flac files with Picards help now and would like to get my collection as ordered as possible.
If populating MB is too much, and I admit I have not added all my collection to MB yet (the Classical stuff is so much typing), then for tagging without mbid tags I usually use Mp3tag instead. I find it easier to see what is happening.

As a minimum I ensure I have tags:
ALBUM
ALBUMARTIST
ARTIST
DISCNUMBER
GENRE
TITLE
TRACK
YEAR

with also COMPOSER, CONDUCTOR, PERFORMER tags for classical music.
Then LABEL, RELEASETYPE (your choice of meaning/use), and COMMENT can be nice to have.

I also have ENCODINGTIME as an ISO date e.g. "2017-04-25". It is not used by Kodi yet, but is my way to store when I added the music to my collection. The file timestamp, and hence "date added" held by Kodi, changes when I edit tags etc., and would I like to have a way to see my truely old stuff bought decades ago even though I ripped it this year. Hence this tag is an anticipation of this being added to Kodi oneday (soon?).

For tracks with multiple artists e.g. "artist1 feat. artist2" I also use the ARTISTS tag (or the ALBUMARTISTS tag if a collaboration album).

With Vorbis (FLAC) or ID3 v2.4 tag formats there can be multiple values per tag, otherwise you need to use a standard separator, either the Kodi default space-slash-space or something else you set as an artist separator Hence in v2.3 ARTISTS = "artist1 / artist2", or you can rely on v17 to interpret " feat. " as a separator.

If you have some tracks tagged with say "artist1" and their mbid tag, but others not, then Kodi will match on name only and store "artist1" with mbid. This means that subsequent artist scraping will use the mbid for that artist i.e. you don't have to tag all songs with artist mbid to get the benefits. But scraping while updating the library ("Fetch additional info during library update" enabled), will only use artist mbids when the new album has mbids. It is a weakness I hope to fix in v18, meanwhile I would recommend scraping from the context menu as a separate task once all the music has been scanned and the library fully populated.

Above all be consistent with naming, genres etc. (and do not expect to scrape additional info for items without mbids).
Tried trhrtee times to add the (add cluster as release) plugin and it just doesn't show up, its in the plugins folder, but not in the list of installed plugins under settings. Other plugins I tried to install works fine.

(2017-04-25, 21:44)meowmoo Wrote:

This

Do you have Picard 1.4.1?
If not upgrade it, and check the install plugins if it ask for it.
If yes, just reinstall it an check install plugins, if it still don't work I need to check it on my PC when I'm home Smile

I haven't used it in a while, maby its broken,changed names or is build in now, I'm not sure.

Edit: maby I'm doing a tutorial how to add a release to the mb db tonight
(2017-04-27, 15:05)meowmoo Wrote: Do you have Picard 1.4.1?
If not upgrade it, and check the install plugins if it ask for it.
If yes, just reinstall it an check install plugins, if it still don't work I need to check it on my PC when I'm home Smile

I haven't used it in a while, maby its broken,changed names or is build in now, I'm not sure.

Edit: maby I'm doing a tutorial how to add a release to the mb db tonight

No need to check, it was error on my part to assume that my vesion of Picard was up to date. I been running 1.2 it seems. After update all look fine.

Thanks for the push!

/Stefan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tagging albums not in MusicBrainz0